New Boat on Order!

is AIS worth getting? i dont know much about radios. I like to listen to the local chat but really im buying it incase i have engine troubles or other safety concerns

If your going to get a new radio and electronics anyway its nice to have. For receive only you just need a model up on the radio like a Standard Horizon GX2200.
I have receive only and can see commercial and some recreational vessels. It is very nice to have in low visibility and allows you to call a vessel as you know the name of it on the AIS screen.
Plus if its a slow fishing day you can read all the info about a freighter or tug passing by. :)

If your going to get a new radio and electronics anyway its nice to have. For receive only you just need a model up on the radio like a Standard Horizon GX2200.
I have receive only and can see commercial and some recreational vessels. It is very nice to have in low visibility and allows you to call a vessel as you know the name of it on the AIS screen.
Plus if its a slow fishing day you can read all the info about a freighter or tug passing by. :)
Hmm I never thought of that, I might just get it so I can see the vessel name and be able to direct my call if need be.

Hmm I never thought of that, I might just get it so I can see the vessel name and be able to direct my call if need be.
If you have radar then the AIS symbol overlays on the radar blob and basically confirms the target. it also shows the direction it is moving. This is the radio I have.

Also good to know, I would like to add radar one day! gives me an idea on radio prices I should be looking at, thanks for linking your model

A AIS radio if its linked to your GPS will receive ONLY you will see a triangle on your GPS and you can move your cursor on it and push enter and it will tell you what the boat is and where its going direction etc etc... very handy tool to have especially in fog etc as you know exactly where vessels are that are near you ...I have it and I really like the feature

Now to transmit thats another attachment that looks like a one of the radio antenna that look like a mushroom 2 totally separate things

Add radar before AIS if it is a toss up between the two. By my estimate, 98% of smaller boats don’t have an AIS tansceiver, so you are not going to pick them up if AIS is your only source of info. But if you are buying a new VHF, the marginal cost to get one with an AIS receiver might be worth it, up to you.

Note that you don’t need a separate antenna to send AIS info if you have a transceiver (about $1k to add) - the information (your vessel name, location, speed, etc.) is sent via your VHF antenna. You can either have a dedicated VHF antenna for the AIS, or use a splitter to use an existing antenna with both your AIS and VHF.

HOWEVER, you will need a integrated / separate GPS antenna for the AIS. You cannot use an existing one on your NMEA network to send position data to the AIS - this is a requirement. But I believe it is possible to share the GPS info from the AIS through the network to other devices (i.e. one way only)

AIS is nice, especially if you are in busy shipping lanes.
Those deep seas move deceptively fast and can be on you quickly.

If you are not playing in busy shipping lanes, I would suggest getting a VHF with DSC capability.
This coupled with an MMSI number is a critical piece of safety gear.
If you are playing in a foggy area, radar is great.

Don't play in busy shipping lanes when foggy. Not relaxing, you should be paid for it and have very good equipment.

Back