Navionics

I recently upgraded from lowrance HDS GEN2 to HDS GEN3. My Navionics chart is from 2014. Is it worth it to upgrade the Navionics chart or is the chart still basically the same.

Al

CG, that’s a million dollar question! Years past I have updated the Navionics chart. This season I decided not to. Wondered all over the coast and didn’t notice any difference. Purchased Navionics in 2012. So I get thinking to myself, prior to Navionics or any other computer generated charts there were paper charts. So I wonder how often did those paper charts that thousands of Captains used get updated?? My guess that wasn’t even a thought! Now I figured the answer to my question, and possibly yours.. Although I do update the software whenever there is one.

Last edited:
Bottom is still the same depth (or similar from global warming) but facilities may be updated.

I don't know if you fish the salt or lakes or which card that you have. My cards is probably 10 years old, but then I use it in the ocean and it is fine. The eyes for your HDS is the transducer, not knowing what you have, you may want to upgrade that, in my view probably a better bang for the buck.

CG, that’s a million dollar question! Years past I have updated the Navionics chart. This season I decided not to. Wondered all over the coast and didn’t notice any difference. Purchased Navionics in 2012. So I get thinking to myself, prior to Navionics or any other computer generated charts there were paper charts. So I wonder how often did those paper charts that thousands of Captains used get updated?? My guess that wasn’t even a thought! Now I figured the answer to my question, and possibly yours.. Although I do update the software whenever there is one.

If you are a competent mariner or a ticketed professional, your paper charts are updated at least annually through all the Notices to Mariners.
But yeah, the continent had not shifted significantly since Cook was around taking soundings.

The book currently sitting on the back of my home toilet for 'ah hum' short term light reading is Nigel Calders book on HOW TO READ A NAUTICAL CHART- A Complete Guide to the Symbols, Abbreviations, and Data displayed on Nautical Charts. It is a readable and comprehensive book on Navigation with a lot of high res color glossy examples of charts and the information they contain. What has impressed and amazed me is just how much information a good chart can contain, whether paper or electronic. For example: all the different types of bridges over navigable waters and augmenting info such as if they are under construction and things as esoteric as the symbol for a fresh water spring in the sea bed.

Last edited:
The book currently sitting on the back of my home toilet for 'ah hum' short term light reading is Nigel Calders book on HOW TO READ A NAUTICAL CHART- A Complete Guide to the Symbols, Abbreviations, and Data displayed on Nautical Charts. It is a readable and comprehensive book on Navigation with a lot of high res color glossy examples of charts and the information they contain. What has impressed and amazed me is just how much information a good chart can contain, whether paper or electronic. For example: all the different types of bridges over navigable waters and augmenting info such as if they are under construction and things as esoteric as the symbol for a fresh water spring in the sea bed.

sounds way more informative than Angry Birds :)

Reminds me of the old joke when one gent sees another about to leave the bathroom without washing his hands:

'I say old boy, at Harvard we were taught to wash our hands after relieving oneself.'

'My school taught me not to pee on my hands, ol' chap'

Reminds me of the old joke when one gent sees another about to leave the bathroom without washing his hands:

'I say old boy, at Harvard we were taught to wash our hands after relieving oneself.'

'My school taught me not to pee on my hands, ol' chap'
try working on construction site 30 plus years,washing your hands was not an option for a long time

I recently upgraded from lowrance HDS GEN2 to HDS GEN3. My Navionics chart is from 2014. Is it worth it to upgrade the Navionics chart or is the chart still basically the same.

Al

I update my cards once a month or so. Navionics adds 2,000 updates per day. They add new fish attractors, update the shoreline and add new lakes and rivers that had no mapping before.

1806_update_page_00_integrations_arrows5.png

This what their site says:

SonarChart™, our 1 ft/0.5 m HD bathymetry layer, is constantly enhanced by millions of sonar logs from boaters like you. These new contributions, coming from all over the world, are integrated with existing data to reflect the ever-changing conditions of sea, lake, and river bottoms at a very local level.

The dock to dock auto routing only works with the updated card. It charts out the shortest route for you automatically based on draft/beam/etc. It's nice when heading out to the spot in the dark or fog, also works with Autopilot. If you have a 1 year old writhing in your arms in excitement it's easier then using the old fashion charts.

PS Franko Lifeproof cases let you take your phone in the shower for that squeaky clean fishing report update!.

Rockfish, when is your bday? I would like to buy you a nice nude magazine for your sittings! No one should be tortured with learning markers and buoys on the dhitter!

Back