Trophy rewire questions

Fishin

Going to be re wiring my 18’ trophy walk around first time taking on a project like this have various gauge marine tinned wire for the project new blue seas dual battery switch, blues seas 12 circuit fuse block, blue seas bus bar anything else I may need? The boats wiring is a complete disaster of un used wires from the original motor and systems have a new mercury 115 that’s all plug n play so that’s easy enough just planning on running very basic systems lowrance chart plotter, nav lights, bilge ect no radar or anything. Been looking at this diagram am I on the right track? Again I’m a total beginner so any input is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 49A1E02A-DF30-412B-9918-157EC09D1CD5.jpeg
    49A1E02A-DF30-412B-9918-157EC09D1CD5.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 77
  • D6A3C473-829F-4F46-AF9C-1CD03635D035.jpeg
    D6A3C473-829F-4F46-AF9C-1CD03635D035.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 057226FB-902F-4ABD-8A99-ED2674CD6F8D.jpeg
    057226FB-902F-4ABD-8A99-ED2674CD6F8D.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 76
Looks good, I’d run a breaker between the batt switch and the fuse panel. Amp rating maybe 10% less than the max current rating of the wire running to/from the fuse panel. You can look that up by referencing a chart that shows rated current for different lengths of wire based on gauge.

Thanks! The boat never had one originally so good info to have tough finding anyone locally for me have called around but no luck or long wait times so trying myself.

For the shorter runs, I'd try to use 16 gauge if suitable for the amp draw. I used 14 on mine and it's noticeably larger. Was a pain under the dash. Anything old, rip it out. Leave nothing. I did mine on my 185 DE a few years ago and always end up changing a couple things every year or two because I didn't do it right the first time. Use some screw in cable clamps and watch youtube videos of how the pros do their rigging. Get proper heatshrink parts that fit the correct screw size on the blocks. Take your time and make it pretty. Where you located?

For the shorter runs, I'd try to use 16 gauge if suitable for the amp draw. I used 14 on mine and it's noticeably larger. Was a pain under the dash. Anything old, rip it out. Leave nothing. I did mine on my 185 DE a few years ago and always end up changing a couple things every year or two because I didn't do it right the first time. Use some screw in cable clamps and watch youtube videos of how the pros do their rigging. Get proper heatshrink parts that fit the correct screw size on the blocks. Take your time and make it pretty. Where you located?
I’m in sooke pretty sure you sold me the troll master based on the profile picture haha was starting to dig into the boat more and the wiring is just a nightmare figured its better to rip it all out before adding more stuff and making a bigger mess.

you’ll want a decent sized wire going to your dash fuse panel. minimum #6 imo with proper circuit breaker. I would also run a set of blue seas push button circuit breakers back there for your downriggers etc. get yourself a nice piece of starboard cut to size to fit in that back compartment with all your stuff already mounted. Use large bus bars in the stern area to avoid overloading the battery terminals. I didn’t notice the add a battery as part of your list now is the perfect time for that.

Get yourself some good tools if you don't already have any.
Klein makes a great wire stripper (blue handle) and a wire crimper tool. Titan ratcheting crimper is a good tool. A small butane torch for heat shrinking.
Not sure if your doing battery cables or not but you will need a big battery lug crimping tool for that.

That was one job I really enjoyed when I did my boat. It was just so satisfying yanking out the complete disaster of wiring and taking my time to replace it with neat and tidy wiring.

Get yourself some good tools if you don't already have any.
Klein makes a great wire stripper (blue handle) and a wire crimper tool. Titan ratcheting crimper is a good tool. A small butane torch for heat shrinking.
Not sure if your doing battery cables or not but you will need a big battery lug crimping tool for that.
I have the Titan ratcheting crimper and it’s awesome for the price. I’d use a heat gun with a deflector shield instead of the torch for heat shrink, I just find it gives a more consistent result. I’d get a pack of marine heat shrink terminal connectors, and a pack of solder heat shrink butt connectors too. Only use tinned marine wire if you plan on keeping the boat for a while. Test every crimped connection by physically pulling on it. For the heavy gauge wire, I use one of these for terminating, except I squeeze it in my vice instead of hammering. A little tiny dab of loctite on the threaded lug connections can help prevent them vibrating loose. For example on the bus bar, fuse panel main terminals etc.

you’ll want a decent sized wire going to your dash fuse panel. minimum #6 imo with proper circuit breaker. I would also run a set of blue seas push button circuit breakers back there for your downriggers etc. get yourself a nice piece of starboard cut to size to fit in that back compartment with all your stuff already mounted. Use large bus bars in the stern area to avoid overloading the battery terminals. I didn’t notice the add a battery as part of your list now is the perfect time for that.
Ordered #6 ancor marine tinned wire for the the wires going to my dash, #14 of the same brand for the electronics off the fuse panel and some #4 for batteries if needed the boat was Already set up for dual batteries but the factory wiring was messy, Blue seas for everything else circuit breaker ect) used the blue seas app hopefully I got it all right the picture is just a general plan for me to visualize it I’ll have help with it and will report back when it’s finished hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

I'm going to stroke my own ego here.
Couple pictures of the finished product.
That looks so slick. My only suggestion - instead of the tied up battery straps, swap for a cam buckle strip. Makes access much easier/faster.

Last edited:
Still need to decide where I want to put speakers for the stereo and get a new horn but everything’s working which is nice little bit more clean up troll master is installed works good and onboard charger.

Attachments

• 1C87E923-1BF7-4D08-8EE2-A62B377D0242.jpeg
    1C87E923-1BF7-4D08-8EE2-A62B377D0242.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 48
  • F33F5AF5-87F2-4562-90CD-DF6368C9CB43.jpeg
    F33F5AF5-87F2-4562-90CD-DF6368C9CB43.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 9E8CC708-2CEA-49D9-81F8-4E2497724EF0.jpeg
    9E8CC708-2CEA-49D9-81F8-4E2497724EF0.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 48
Looks great man. I'd be pretty happy with that on my boat. I'm in the process of adding a radar and need to add a 12 blade fuse block as well which will take some rewiring since it's only a 6 on there now and I can't fit it in the same spot. Not experienced in electrical at all so will be a slow learning process I'm sure

Looks great! I would highly suggest you get a cheap set of flush cutters and cut the zip ties flush, because those little nubs will shred your hands if you have to get in there to work on anything in the future

Looks great! I would highly suggest you get a cheap set of flush cutters and cut the zip ties flush, because those little nubs will shred your hands if you have to get in there to work on anything in the future
Oh come on the "looks like I fought with a cat" look is in! Especially when it's up your forearms to your elbows. One of things I did on my boat before launching was tighten and trim zip ties (I bought a second set of knipex ones so I have one at home and at work). With a little practice you can pull them tight and trim them with a decent set of flush cuts.

Looking good though, it's something easy to do half a$$ but doesn't take a ton more time to make decent.

Definitely plan on it going to run the boat to make sure I’m happy with it and everything works like it should then will do a final clean up.

Back