Best affordable 7" touchscreen Chartplotter Sonar

Bifmalibu

Thinking about a better chart plotter sonar. I don't have maps on my current Garmin and want to upgrade to something I can follow contour lines with better. I don't find the Navionics app on the iPhone is cutting it. I think a 7" is going to be about as big as I can fit and really all I want to spend. I'll need a transducer as well as maps. There is too much info to process.

Any recommendations?

Thinking about a better chart plotter sonar. I don't have maps on my current Garmin and want to upgrade to something I can follow contour lines with better. I don't find the Navionics app on the iPhone is cutting it. I think a 7" is going to be about as big as I can fit and really all I want to spend. I'll need a transducer as well as maps. There is too much info to process.

Any recommendations?
I have the HDS 9 live but looked closely at all the units between 7-9". I almost bought an elite, don't think you could go wrong with that, was fast enough for zooming in and out and moving about the map. The set up and navigation of the unit was intuitive. As for transducer, I use the 3 in 1 it came with as well as a p79 shoot through hull which provide enough detail for my needs

Any recommendations?
I can tell you from personal experience to avoid Raymarine

I got a couple of the garmin 7’s on sale at cabelas last year and they were great.

My main priority is gps charts being precisely zoomed in on pinnacles and structure. And a smooth functioning touch screen. Also a strong sonar signal with a transom mounted transducer. Does that sound like sub 1500 Bucks with high quality charts and transducer?

I got the Garmin 9” from cabelas and the Nav+ maps. I find the Garmin maps almost too detailed. As for the transducer maybe it could be better or maybe I don’t have the settings right. But I caught enough fish. It was a big upgrade from my hook5.

I would wait till Black Friday if you can. There will be some great deals.

I got the Garmin 9” from cabelas and the Nav+ maps. I find the Garmin maps almost too detailed. As for the transducer maybe it could be better or maybe I don’t have the settings right. But I caught enough fish. It was a big upgrade from my hook5.

You can dial back the detail. The adjustability is what makes them great units.

Which model?

Which model?

Also which took me a bit to realize is that this model connects to your phone so you can add waypoints on the Garmin app and they will update onto your plotter. Pretty nice to scope out the maps( which are crazy detailed) on your phone.

This is a shot of finger island off Nanaimo
IMG_0206.png

Last edited:
if you have Garmin stay with that brand as you'll be used to there GUI menus almost all modern unit are offering great detail go with the best deal your budget allows or buy a good used set set off some one who's getting the lastest and greatest .... or going bigger

I use Navonics on my iPad with mount on dashboard and really like it and possibly too small on phone . I have Lowrance 7 HDS live but still prefer Navonics app . You can pick up used cheap iPad with cellular but do not need plan with mini or 9 in model . I only use Lowrance for sounder .

Last edited:
I use Navonics on my iPad with mount on dashboard and really like it and possibly too small on phone . I have Lowrance 7 HD live but still prefer Navonics app . You can pick up used cheap iPad with cellular but do not need plan with mini or 9 in model . I only use Lowrance for sounder .
Does this require syncing with your iPhone and using data when the navionics app is on?

Does this require syncing with your iPhone and using data when the navionics app is on?
No data needed works off gps chip and all you need to do is download app on iPad and login in to your account . All the routes and markers will be there . You now have iPad with Navionics and also your iPhone as a backup . I also use Scanstrut Rokk marine mount and you pay more but great quality .

Last edited:
I think the biggest advantage of a modern sounder / Garmin / Navco / Bird/ over a tablet / phone Is the ability to draw your own sonar charts in real time- The chart cards are good, but they are not the most accurate.

I bought a lowrance hds 7 live package with the 3&1 transducer on sale at harbour chandler for $999 can’t beat it for the price and the features it has I absolutely love it for what I do the down scan/side scan is really neat, built in charts/gps dead simple to install and use works really well used it all over nootka this summer and locally in Victoria/sooke, it replaced my hds 8 which was extremely big and bulky the hds7 live is pretty much the same screen size but half the weight and size of the hds 8. I do have a tablet with navionics which also works well together it’s a great combo.

Attachments

• 965DCD84-020B-4982-A613-63E70B10E29B.jpeg
    965DCD84-020B-4982-A613-63E70B10E29B.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 15
I use Navonics on my iPad with mount on dashboard and really like it and possibly too small on phone . I have Lowrance 7 HD live but still prefer Navonics app . You can pick up used cheap iPad with cellular but do not need plan with mini or 9 in model . I only use Lowrance for sounder .
I do this too but find the lack of ability to see the screen on a super sunny day compared to the Lowrance frustrating

Back