Naniamo to Bamfield route?

Not my boat thank goodness!
Not sure what happened to the truck driver. I talked to the owner of the boat to ask him if he asked the truck driver what the hell were you doing? He says he didn't ask but he thought the truck driver might have fallen asleep.
Seems pretty weird to me to fall asleep from the ticket booth to there.

Is that your boat or someone elses? All bad though. Truck driver asleep or what?
I had that happen to me once only not nearly as bad. The guy who hit me insisted I was supposed to have a red flag on the leg. Tough boat though, doesn't look like any obvious hull damage and that took a whack.

I don’t think so, a friend and member did Nanaimo to Ukee and it was a less than 1/3 the cost of fuel from Sidney to Bamfield. It was different boats/engines but similar size.
Is the road to Renfrew paved?

Google says 2 hours from Nanaimo through Cowichan. I'll see what my haul guy thinks. It's only an hour more than going to PA. Wonder what he will charge me for travel time on top.

Is the road to Renfrew paved?

The road from Mesachie Lake (10 km past Lake Cowichan) to Port Renfrew is sealed and maintained as it is the alternative route to get to Victoria from the north if the highway gets shut down. It is about 55 km from Mesachie to Renfrew.

The road from Mesachie Lake (10 km past Lake Cowichan) to Port Renfrew is sealed and maintained as it is the alternative route to get to Victoria from the north if the highway gets shut down. It is about 55 km from Mesachie to Renfrew.
Is it safe enough to drive a car on that route?
thanks
Stosh

thanks
Stosh

Yes, my wife sometimes takes that route from Lake Cowichan to Victoria in her Prius. She loves the scenery and all the great beaches on the section from Renfrew to Victoria.

The road from Mesachie to Renfrew is great. Can be a little “rolly” in the lower sections, which can get the trailer bouncing a little if you’re going real quick. But the road surface conditions are nicely paved.

Only concern are some narrow sections along Harris Creek. Go slow and you’re good to go.

No problems with any kind of vehicle. If you can drive the street in Vic, you can drive that road.

Is there any indication of when the road will be open to all traffic again? The provincial website gives a plan up until Aug 19th (update yesterday). Assuming the plan is to be done by then?

thanks
Stosh
Sorry -
Sorry - my mistake. I was wondering about the road from Cowichan to BamfielD. Is it ok for cars?
thanks
Stosh

Sorry -

Sorry - my mistake. I was wondering about the road from Cowichan to BamfielD. Is it ok for cars?
thanks
Stosh
drove it from cowichan yesterday.. just a lil subaru!!

no problem in a car. the usual though----, spare, tire repair kit, compressor, food and water.

left at the bridge down flora, left at central, left at between the lakes, left onto bam main.

What's going on for launching in Renfrew? Doing some reading and it doesn't sound like they have great launches or you have to run the shallow river.

What's going on for launching in Renfrew? Doing some reading and it doesn't sound like they have great launches or you have to run the shallow river.
Use Pacific Gateway Marina. They have a deep water launch.

Im heading over to bamfield on Sunday. We're planning to take the duke pt ferry and head south to take the cowichan route. has anyone gone that way recently and have any updates as to the road condition. Google maps is suggesting it should take about the same time as going through alberni. I'll be driving truck only and my dad will be towing his 16ft boat. We've towed into bamfield through alberni a few times now and found it not too bad, he just takes it slow. Thanks

I'm late to this thread. Just sharing my experience. A couple of weeks ago, after a ferry ride, left Nanaimo around 8:5 towards Bamfield. Once in PA, I dropped my 22' aluminum boat in the inlet, and my brother and I left towards Bamfield. The ride was a bit rough but doable. Took us about 1.5 hours to get to Bamfield. My other two buddies with his truck and the trailer on the back left towards Bamfield. Big mistake! Around halfway, two sections of the trailer brook due to constant vibration. Took them almost 5 hours to get to Bamfiels and for the next 2 days we were looking for a welder to fix the trailer. Lots of hassles and frustration to find a welder and on top of that, took away 2 days of our fishing. Luckily the trailer got fixed and the rest of the trip was great. Perhaps others did not have the same experience as ours but I would never take the trailer to Bamfiled. After all, there was no need to have the trailer in Bamfield and we could have just left it somewhere in Port Alberni.

Back