Bamfield questions

Seaspanker

so everyone on the Bamfield threads has been real quiet ! , we will be driving [with the boat] into Bamfield aug 14th living in the kootenays we are unable to find out anything on the Bamfield road upgrade only info on any sites is all about last year , nothing current at all ! so the question is "HOW IS THE ROAD ? " is there any improvement worth mentioning ?
Also , How is the Bait situation ? is Rhy's Davis anchovey available this year ? don't need to know the price of fuel cause gotta buy it regardless . if someone has a moment to reply to the road and the bait availability i and my group would certainly appreciate it .

The answer is run your boat down the inlet.

It's about 30 nautical miles from the start in Port alberni to Bamfield. Don't know what you have for a boat or how fast you travel so you can decide. It's way easier on boats and trailers this way.
Park your car up by the Ford dealership for free.
Been doing this for 10 plus years. Only way to go in my books.

Run the boat down the canal. Hopefully on a slack tide, in the morning. Winds pick up at about 11. Nahmint bay is the worst spot. Keep a very close eye for dead heads, there’s lots!! Park the trailer, near the Ford dealer, and take the truck down the road. Or pack everything into the boat.

Up until a few years ago when I sold my boat I made a few trips to Bamfield every August. I always ran up the canal from PA.
It is the best way to go! I’ve even done it in a 15’ boat many years ago. Leave early in the morning before the winds pick up. Good luck
Stosh

The road wasn't in "good" shape even before being over abused as a "detour" when Hwy 4 shut down.
Now it is a dust storm, and the wash-boarding is so intense it is like constantly riding a pogo stick.
Had to use it to get out shortly ago (before the hwy "opened").
Hope I never have to run it again until the "improvements" are accomplished.

If you hate your boat, drag it down that.
If you don't, you'd be wise to run it to BamBam.

Cheers,
Nog

just got back again , , 1 hour for me with no boat , the road is in pretty good condition , has been for most of the season ,been on it 5-6 times this spring/summer , the road build up has REALLY helped , yes the canal run is always the best , but.... guys run there boats up on the gravel daily , take your time , plastic bag your motors , a good hose off and you good to go , i do it every year with my winter rigs , never any issues , lost a tail light one year , my bad , was in a rush lol... 3-4 boats left the nook trailering this weekend , no issues .... take your time.. ( if your coming in on a ferry from the coast , you probably wont hit the water till noon or so , it can get a little sketch around Nahmint in a small rig , careful , been a windy season so far , we pounded back pretty good in 3-5 footers last week at 10 am comin back sox fishin in a 24 !! , sucked !! ) good luck...

Is the road to Bamfield better from Cowichan or Port Alberni? I no longer have a truck and was thinking of driving my 4wd crossover in. Is the road good enough or should I rent a truck?
thanks
Stosh

The road from Cowichan is in great shape. Took me 3.5 hrs Bamfield to Victoria this past Monday. Average speed from Bam to Youbo was 55kph in a Hyundai Santa Fe.

I did the same run as tin Monday. In the same time and even the same ride. I'm in Bamfield every other week and I only go the Cowichan route now. Up or down. I ferry over from horseshoe Bay and head south to you bou. Same amount of time as driving to port but less vehicles on gravel road and no construction stops. Always hit Victoria for ferry home as there's a ferry every hour on the hour and don't get stuck in the usual multiple sailing waits at Nanaimo. Ads 40 km to my total trip but I'm home hours earlier. Mo

Back