Nanaimo Area

went out to thrasher rock today, wind was actulay turning come pletely calm by the time i got out there today witch was around 1. fished for a few hours, got lots of good bites, landed one rock cod, and i was also wondering if porlier pass would be any good right now, any guys catching anything there?

Heading out tonight with some of the boys.. Anyone have suggestions for Nanaimo.. What the coho are hitting on ? Springs around ? Havent been out in awhile...
Thanks..

I was using a 3.5 inch silver and blue coyote with a purple haze flasher the other day off Gerald and they loved it..........BRS

I find I generally don't have to go through 25 Coho to hit a nice size one because IMO the bigger Coho always seem to be down about 90ft or better......so I don't bother trolling much shallower than that.

The other day at FC they (Coho) were hitting my normal Chinook gear........doctored Splatterback Hooch and doctored Black/Glow hooch 38" behind Gold Super Betsy,Green Haze or Green/Glow flashers. With a drop-back of about 20ft.

I also went 160ft on the d'rigger dial (braid) and they seemed to like that a lot......whatever the "actual" depth was.....

was hoping to get out fishing this morning, we made an attempt anyways was a little choppy so we pulled the pin..IMG_2628.jpgnnw 19 knots..not too fun.. guess i will have to wait another 3 weeks for another shot at the big one...back to High River tomorrow :p

Last edited by a moderator:
is there any good chances of catching coho at thrasher, also is prawning anygood at thrasher , ive never tried it but im wanting to soon and i guess since its pritty currently out there ill half to weight my prawn traps

islander55 if you are launching out of Ladysmith you would be better off setting your trap by Thetis island, or Tent island, but i have been told to not leave your prawntraps unattended down there, only fished thrasher once but i am sure you could catch coho there.

is there any good chances of catching coho at thrasher, also is prawning anygood at thrasher , ive never tried it but im wanting to soon and i guess since its pritty currently out there ill half to weight my prawn traps
I am glad you asked.... Now if someone will just let me know if there is any good bullhead fishing in the area that would be great.... :)

islander55 if you are launching out of Ladysmith you would be better off setting your trap by Thetis island, or Tent island, but i have been told to not leave your prawntraps unattended down there, only fished thrasher once but i am sure you could catch coho there.

yeah thats what i was kind of going for, aha im heading out first thing tommorow morning so ill decide then, ill for sure upload some pics of what ever i catch tommoroe heading out to thrasher at 6:)

yeah thats what i was kind of going for, aha im heading out first thing tommorow morning so ill decide then, ill for sure upload some pics of what ever i catch tommoroe heading out to thrasher at 6:)

Go get em man :). It's always funner making your own reports :cool:. Can't wait to see the pic's. Good luck and cheers.

use a herring helmut, same as you do anchovy

Rolled some Anchovy at the Fingers and Neck Pt. Last night.. one undersized and one that didn't stick around... Pretty slow for us.. but at least the wind died off..

Islander55........there's lots of Coho around.....

I din't know what size herring you are thinking of trolling.......but there are teaser heads for anchovy and teaser heads for herring. Some of the available herring teaser heads are a little bigger than the anchovy heads......so size does matter.

Generally, running the bait head about 6 to 7 ft behind the flasher will produce (if you have the right roll on the bait).

There is a good video on YouTube by David Murphy (guide) on how to rig the baithead.

Is your herring already brined? Fishing them straight out of the package, they could be a little soft....and might fall apart on you when you troll......

quick question : im wondering if trolling a herring would be any good since theres a ton of bait at thrasher , ad how would i rig a herring for trolling with flasher.?
Rhys Davis Bullet Roll will roll a big piece of Herring, caught a couple nice ones this way..... Driller

Back