Nanaimo Area

The fishing just seemed to just recently get good off sooke, so I would think the hot fishing on the inside is fish making there way down

Was out first light this morning fished till 8.30, non stop double header madness(mostly coho and under sized fish with a few legal springs in the mix. Lots of pollock out deeper too. And lots of wood in the water so watch the boats. Fish hit everything but the bigger ish seemed to stick with the glow green or spackle back spoon. 80-125.

Can anyone tell me which direction these fish are coming from? Logic would tell me they are coming from the north heading south, but maybe they swing around Victoria and hold in the Straight until moving further south to the US rivers they originate from?

I really have no clue so if someone does, please enlighten!

Thanks

Salmon migration patterns are not fully understood but the limited evidence shows that the larger fish are returning down johnston strait, likely to american rivers or maybe the cowichan. The smaller feeders are on their way up johnston strait to the north to spend the next year or two at sea.

Nice job Jeff and arima, nice slab! Were these thrasher or high up Nanaimo way? Coming over tomorrow...hard to target the bottom with great fish like that!

Just saw this on another forum and wanted to post it here for everyone.

"Just a reminder this weekend is the annual SIN regata off Nanaimo. Sailboat racing starts 10 am Sat and finishes shortly after lunch on Sun. Boats come out of the harbour to Snake and race inside the Fingers past Neck and up to Icarus. Best to fish outside the Fingers and away from the yellow markers. They are in racing mode so please do whatever it takes to stay out of their way.

The race comittee thanks us for our cooperation. It's a big event for local sail boaters."

Thanks John and Nick so many undersized it was crazy, couldn't keep em off the spoons, ended up switchin to the chovy and going a little deeper for the bigger springs,any thing we threw at them they were nailing tonight, John think you know the "cough" Spot..couple nice high teeners anyway 31 n 33 inches..(no scale)Fly to Calgary Monday to begin disaster clean-up in High-river, gonna be on the bench , will be lookin forward to some good reports for when i get back might buy a reliable motor..my boat is still sidelined, was fishing with my ole buddy Murr seen here .IMG_2531.jpgand last thing, Arima Arima Nice Spring!

Hey Everyone. Long time listener, first time caller...

Went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. I fished mostly between the fingers and Neck. Seemed like there were more fish in closer to structure vs. out deeper. the water was nice and flat and the colour of Earl Grey. The best fish I had on was donated to a seal (felt like it might have been in the teens). This was my first sealing in the last couple years. I got the flasher and spoon back so I'm not complaining.

Got a keeper spring closer to Neck. I didn't scale it but it may have been only 10-12 lbs but nice but red meat for a change.

Looks like the current wave of fish is a fair bit smaller than the wave that moved through in May/June. Still lots of Coho around but I only caught the "unmarked hatchery" fish. Green Splatterback spoon down 100 ish feet got the majority of the action.

Was out tonight for about 3 hours, few coho's to the boat, one nice sized but was wild. Not much else, only about 4 hits total, pretty slow, about the same as the last few times ive been out. Few decent fish at the cleaning tables but for the amount of boats out there not much. Must have counted over 30 boats at one point. I noticed alot of people are fishing real close in to shore, as opposed to way out past the fingers where it was pretty hot about a month ago. As i'm fairly new to the nanaimo fishery, can someone enlighten me on the reason most of the people are fishing closer to shore in shallower waters?

Nice fish there islander. Was out tonight from about 730 to 10, decided to fish around the fingers this time instead of close in to neck point. Had 2 solid hits, both pin poppers, first one felt like a good size but after a few long runs the hook popped and it was gone. Second one was about a half mile off the fingers fishing the 650 contour. Serious battle this one was, 20min+, several long rips and when it got to the surface it just went crazy thrashing and diving back down. After 3 failed netting attempts where i got it half in, then it would go crazy and jump out, the forth time was the charm. I was solo so thats my excuse for the net job. 14lb marble, fat as a football and had some serious power. Both hits were on anchovies with green glow teaser head with purple haze flasher at 125. Stomach contents was another anchovie or similar size fish. Chovies have outfished any other gear the last few weeks ive been out.
This was taken a few nights ago in ladysmith, thought it was a pretty cool pic.
Picture 034.jpg
14lber
Picture 037.jpg
Picture 038.jpg

Back