Garmin Bluechart vs Navionics app?

the force

Crew Member
I’ve been using the Navionics app on my phone to date, though was debating getting the Bluechart G3 for my garmin echomap 93sv ($275 at MEC).
Will I gain any additional detail / accuracy with the bluechart? Curious what the difference is, aside from phone vs plotter. Does Bluechart show all the rca’s and area boundaries? My Navionics shows some but not all.
Thanks!

Are you running the world wide base map on your Garmin now?

Not sure you'll get more detail but you will probably add the ability to use quick draw contours. I'm not sure if you can use it without a chip. I find it's a great feature, especially for jigging or trolling where you want to follow bottom in rocky areas. It allows you to map an area with 1 foot contours to see what's really there. None of the chart chips will give you the same level of detail. I find it invaluable when trying to fish the high point of a pinnacle or rock pile in open water.

Check Bass Pro for sales on the chip if you do want to purchase one. Not sure on all the area boundaries but some of the lines do show.

There are adjustments on the device to increase or decrease the amount of detail on the most inclusive screen choice. (fishing vs navigation)

From Garmin: From your fishing chart view select Menu>Layers>Water> Fishing Contours make sure it is turned on.

Are you running the world wide base map on your Garmin now?

Not sure you'll get more detail but you will probably add the ability to use quick draw contours. I'm not sure if you can use it without a chip. I find it's a great feature, especially for jigging or trolling where you want to follow bottom in rocky areas. It allows you to map an area with 1 foot contours to see what's really there. None of the chart chips will give you the same level of detail. I find it invaluable when trying to fish the high point of a pinnacle or rock pile in open water.
I assume I have the base map but not actually sure, I do have the freshwater chip.

Yes, quick draw is great and do use it when fishing structure… find it and get there with Navionics and then use quick draw as I work a piece of water. I agree location is key, just not sure if the actual charts will give me anything better than the subscription app.

Yeah doesn’t really look like they’re different… will prob keep with my current setup if that’s the case.

Back