Nanaimo Area

DOF seemed to me it has slowed a bit but they must be on their way because the french creek report is on fire..mutiple tyee.. i fished 12 hours straight on saturday and only took one keeper, sunday 5 hours and 2 4-6lbers released, i love releasing salmon but a few big ones would be okay too:p

I'd rather make the reports ;)

Great post.

That is what fishing is all about. Get out there and do your own thing. What if the radio talk isn't true or accurate? How will that make you feel at the end of the day?

Then you will blame the guy's chatting on the radio lol. FB I know you buddy. You are a good fisherman. You don't need radio chatter to put fish in the boat:). You like to do your own thing and so do I. We all have good days and bad days. Time on the water, recording that time, and listening and reading will keep you putting fish in the boat. The main objective should be enjoying ourselves.

Yes, I installed dual VHF's this year and yes, I listen to them. One example of listening to them that proved wrong was the tuna shoot out last year. We heard that a boat had a double etc. South of us and yes I bee lined it down there wasting gas, time, etc. Our buddy Darren wanted to stay where we were and I should have heeded that advice. We ended back where we left off to hit those 7 fish. I think we would have done way better if we kept fishing the same spot instead of moving. Just an example.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post.

That is what fishing is all about. Get out there and do your own thing. What if the radio talk isn't true or accurate? How will that make you feel at the end of the day?

Then you will blame the guy's chatting on the radio lol. FB I know you buddy. You are a good fisherman. You don't need radio chatter to put fish in the boat:). You like to do your own thing and so do I. We all have good days and bad days. Time on the water, recording that time, and listening and reading will keep you putting fish in the boat. The main objective should be enjoying ourselves.

Yes, I installed dual VHF's this year and yes, I listen to them. One example of listening to them that proved wrong was the tuna shoot out last year. We heard that a boat had a double etc. South of us and yes I bee lined it down there wasting gas, time, etc. Our buddy Darren wanted to stay where we were and I should have heeded that advice. We ended back where we left off to hit those 7 fish. I think we would have done way better if we kept fishing the same spot instead of moving. Just an example.

Cheers,
John

I tell it like it is when I'm out there but, when I'm derby fishin' I tend to hold my cards close to my chest.
Oh I'll tell everyone at the end of the day but, I won't go blabbing on the VHF my whereabouts when I'm on the fish. The last thing I want is 100 boats roaring up on me. 1/2 of them can't fish in a tight group, most of them are sh__faced and only a handful really know what day it is.
I'm all for everyone getting in on the action, I'm just not into being pushed off my spot or have to stop fishing to untangle fishing lines and downy cables because some knob is dragging their gear across everyone's bow.
Derbies are awesome because you make your call for day one as to where you're going to start. That first day is key because after all the fishing, running around, chatter, networking, b.s.-ing with everyone you can, watching everyone's moves (lures - binocs) out there, mingle at the dressing table, then you make your game plan for day 2.
In fact, sometimes I'd rather not even hear what other people are saying on the VHF. I don't usually chase fish that are already caught.

I totally understand if it is a derby to be tight lipped about the action, i also will not spill the beans if fishing from a friends boat, but if i am into fish and a friend asks where i am doing good and at what depth with what lure i am totally inclined to let them know, via text ,that is Networking.. and lets face it sport caught fish is probably without a doubt the most expensive fish you will ever eat so if you can help a buddy to get a couple more in the box to help feed his family well he is fishing along side you.. pay it forward.:)

I totally understand if it is a derby to be tight lipped about the action, i also will not spill the beans if fishing from a friends boat, but if i am into fish and a friend asks where i am doing good and at what depth with what lure i am totally inclined to let them know, via text ,that is Networking.. and lets face it sport caught fish is probably without a doubt the most expensive fish you will ever eat so if you can help a buddy to get a couple more in the box to help feed his family well he is fishing along side you.. pay it forward.:)

Don't get me wrong Jeff, I let my buddies know what's up, always. And the same with them. We just don't go "****-a-doodle-do-ing" on the VHF when we're on the fish.

unless you want to get someone off your spot ;)

lol. Exactly. A little mis-information to clear the spot works too.:rolleyes:
You just can't believe everything you hear on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my grandpa telling me stories of catching huge springs in the alberni inlet. Very good a catching them with multiple 50+ lbers. He used to hang really long bucktails off his rods on the way back in and at the cleaning table people would be asking what gear he was running and if the buck tail was what he was using. Hes 90 years old now and still smirks when he tells the story. He told me he only ever used cut plugged hearing as big as he could get. I don't believe him.:D

I remember my grandpa telling me stories of catching huge springs in the alberni inlet. Very good a catching them with multiple 50+ lbers. He used to hang really long bucktails off his rods on the way back in and at the cleaning table people would be asking what gear he was running and if the buck tail was what he was using. Hes 90 years old now and still smirks when he tells the story. He told me he only ever used cut plugged hearing as big as he could get. I don't believe him.:D

No different then what I do some times I leave out the gear I was not using for people that want to sneak a peak to look at. Huge nasty looking plugs and black hootchies. Or tackle that is impossible to find with barbs still on them. You know they are looking when they bring up the barbed hooks.

How about when guys wanting to promot tackle and every fish has that same piece of gear in the mouth of the fish. Don't you think some of that's staged for sales.

lol. Exactly. A little mis-information to clear the spot works too.:rolleyes:
You just can't believe everything you hear on there.

In case anyone follows my reports...I lie in every one of them.

Jeffy, next time I'm out I got some cold ones for you and a space on my boat.

....now back on track. I didn't mean to derail this thread....

I've never B.S.'ed about tackle or fishing reports on here ever.

I know that there are lots that do.......because usually I have more information about an area than they think ....

Just remember if you post B.S.......what goes around, comes around.

can we get this thread back on track?!

Sorry Dan. It was kinda my fault lol. Where's your report from last night?

In case anyone follows my reports...I lie in every one of them.

Jeffy, next time I'm out I got some cold ones for you and a space on my boat.

....now back on track. I didn't mean to derail this thread....

You didn't derail the thread at all Nick. Sorry for all the radio talk. I should have started a new thread. Are you getting out this week?

personaly i have learned from most of the people on this forum, didn't mean to derail the Nanaimo thread sorry bout that, carry on Dan with your Nanaimo area report , Did that chovy ever pan out for you last night?:p

Sorry Dan. It was kinda my fault lol. Where's your report from last night?

ok...not much to report. Took my kid out last night. Started at Neck at 6:30...completely dead, one small bait ball. The group of boats on the outside of the Fingers (in close) intrigued me so we headed over there at about 8:00. Immediately started hitting fish (shakers). Let one barely legal go as I tend to toss anything back I'd be too embarrassed to clean at a public table. Got bored and started playing around with my phone when my 4 year old started screeching at me that I had a fish...sure enough look up on the rod is pounding...gone before I got there, looked decent. About 10 mins later had a definite keeper on for about 10 seconds. Saw one other fish netted right at dusk and headed home to try and hose the skunk off the boat. All hits on spackleback (not TRex)
Gonna have to start fishing Comox :)

Is that why we're not hearing anything about Comox? They are too busy bagging huge fish? Just like last year?

If it was so good in Comox you'd already be here fishing. Me on the other hand I am thinking about giving French Creek a go later this week.

Back