Nanaimo and area Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Braved the ugliness off the fingers this afternoon - more off Neck Pt. than anything. Had one pin popper right away, so went back down to the same depth.

within 30 mins lost a beauty, about a 25lber behind the boat.

Nothing in the net today, but some action was nice for our first trip of the yr!

All action at 105 ft on purple haze flasher and glow green spoon.

Heading out to Mudge on Thursday for 5 days to do some fishing with my buddy and 9 year old boy.
Not too familiar with the fishing spots but have been to Thrasher before.
Just some rookies from the flatlands that want to go catch a fish or two.
Our home is by Dodd Narrows so any tips would be really appreciated.

thanks

Got out Sat morning. New to the area so I don't know the name of the spot but was a few knts north of Neck point, out in the middle of the strait. Had some success on the ole' reliable purple haze hoochie/flasher combo at btwn 115 and 140 on the rigger. Glow green spoon was the star of the morning however. 3 to 1 over the purple haze rig at similar depths.
R

Limit at Thrasher today...had 14 hits, 12 on, 2 double headers...biggest was 23
2 nice lings...one was a beauty blue that we lost once when he took the hooks and went back and got him again.
150 to 170 bait and army truck coyote was the ticket for us. couple miles off the rock for 4 then in tight for the last 2.

Cheers

Getbent

Hi all,I'm back in town for a week just wondering how it's going out there took the kids too the aquarium yesterday'on the way back i seen 15 boats off the fingers,sure makes me jealous anyways i'm headed out hopefully this afternoon and tommorow forsure. I'll reports my findings when i'm done tommorow.Cheers MT

fished solo yesterday, dropped the crab traps in my new spot. started at entrance no bait to be found anywhere, headed out to trasher, got an easy limit of springs a 10 and a 15, went two for two. back to the crab pots rail dumped about 20 keepers had a nice feast of large dungies last night. beauty day out there.

Well i fished solo as well today 1130 till 3 Ihad 4 on and lost them all to seals was fishing 180' yellow jdf teaser least i got my limit of crab though which was go anyways back out at first light hopefully the thieves are still asleep,i'll report again tommorow cheers mt:D

I went this morning dropped the crab pot,And headed of the fingers out of reach of any seals managed 2 15's limited in a 1/2hr'limit of big crab again as well 177&154 on the rigger chartruese glow teaser and green glow teaser.excellent morning all in all.Back to work now the fun over till i return on the long weekend Cheers M.T.PS for all those who fish out of nanaimo and area try and keep the thread moving and we'll possibly be able too keep it as a sticky.;)

Hey Rob, be very glad I didn't drive down and pick you up on Tuesday. My kicker decided it didn't want to troll any more. No fishing till Tuesday now, bah humbug. Next time I'm bringing the lizard juice:D

Back to business on this thread. I'm hearing several reports about it slowing off over this side. Anyone else filling boxes today?

Have been on that side doing some work, still fish comming in but very slow last two days

Lance

We definatly got lucky today. Landed 3, lost 1 all at Thrasher. Most seemed to be only getting 1 at best but as always, results vary. All fish came on the green spackleback hootchie at 155' or so.

Finally got out for a while after work, fished around Ballinas but didn't hook up with anything. Saw the happy hooker washing hooks as well, nice boat by the way.

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: June 17/2010.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The Gulf Island Chinook fishery has remained very strong over the past couple of weeks. Soon after my last newsletter, the fish moved onto the reef structure of Thrasher Rock, and the action has became absolutely spectacular for a while. During a span of more than a week I was often having 10 or more good Chinook hit in 3 or 4 hours of fishing, and most days we were boating 4 to 6 fish ranging from 11 to 24 (most are "mid-teens"). I have also seen a handful of fish in the 30 to 40 lb range taken, so there are definitely a few bruisers around. About a week ago, the action slowed right off Thrasher Rock, but it picked up along the Eastern Shore of Gabriola, and last weekend we found good action fishing from 140 to 200' from the Grande to "Whalebone". I have not been out to Thrasher itself since last Friday, but it sounds as if the action has started to pick up there again during the past couple of days. In addition to the Chinook, a few nice sized Coho have been getting caught "by accident" when anglers have been bringing up their lines from the Chinook depths (typically 130 to 200'), so this may warrant a more serious look, as these tasty fish would be a nice addition to the catch of Chinook.

There is lots of bait in the area, so the fish should continue to feed and hold for a while longer, and potentially a lot longer!!! The fish are still mainly eating 5 to 6" herring, but I have caught a few with "young-of-the year" herring in their bellies. This will mean that smaller spoons could potentially become the most effective lure if they completely switch to this rich food source. Over the past weekend, I was running a small 1.25" Flamin' Hans Gypsy spoon, and it did as well or better than my 5" spoons and full sized hootchies.

In a few of our recent summers, this fishery continued to provide good action right into August, but it is hard to say whether or not this will occur again this year. On the days we have limited out, we have headed for home, as there has often been a bit of a chop on the water, but after hitting our Chinook there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking at finding halibut or ling cod to add to the day's catch. If we are there, and the water conditions allow it, that should be the time to try.

Again, wind is a factor for this area, and crossing to Gabriola requires a relatively calm day, so a final decision to cross can only be made as we are leaving the dock. Also these charters require more than the minimum 5 hour trip I typically do for local charters. It is a relatively long run over to Gabriola (45 to 60 minutes), and fuel costs are substantially more than with local trips (typically only a 15 to 20 minute run). Also, with the option of looking for Halibut and other bottomfish spending more time over there allows us to pursue these other options. As many of you already know, making a lunch stop at the pub in Sylva Bay provides an opportunity to stretch the legs a bit, and is a great addition to the trip.

The South Bowen fishery has continued to provide some action through last week, and the fact that many of the fish were taken closer to Cowan's Point indicates to me that a substantial number of them may be destined for Howe Sound. During the days when that NW wind blew up, anglers fishing in Seymour Bay and Hole in the Wall found some nice fish, so there are definitely still some local options. There hasn't been all that much effort further up Howe Sound lately with such good fishing off Gabriola, but Defence Islands and Porteau Cove are always worth a look. In addition, Salmon Rock has started to produce a few fish, and this area has the potential to be quite good in the coming weeks.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter please e-mail or call me.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com
604-329-8642

Hit the water fairly late at around 1PM dropped the prawn traps at Schooner Cove and headed over to Sangster and the reef.Lots of bait showing and we ended up with a couple of Ling Cod and a 12lb Spring. It seems we just caught the tail end of the bite, as after an hour nothing else was caught Depths were 130 to 150 and the Spring was caught on a purple haze hootchie. Prawning was not so good, two traps one prawn a jelly fish and a tiny sculpin, must get lessons...[:I]

But it was an incredible day out there, and I did see a couple of jiggers getting lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back