Moutcha Bay Late June, Thoughts?

2019 late June fishing in Nootka was AMAZING , even though you weren't allowed offshore. Beno , Wash was the place to be. Not sure about the regs this year? The only thing about June is that you are hitting fishing that are just passing by feeding , one day they are there the other not , but that's fishing!!

CS____roughly how far is the Lighthouse from Moutcha Bay Resort?
Don't have my charts with me as I'm out of the country, but, I think its about 15 miles. All well protected water on the route out to it. The Lighthouse is exposed of course from the South but still reasonable protected. You can fish much closer to Moutcha if fish have moved into the Sound. Camel Rock, San Carlos, Hoiss, Beer Can up Tahsis Inlet are all about 4-7 approx miles from Moutcha. Might be slow going late June though. But there could be fish around...

So where would most of the derby guys be fishing? My buddy is kind of hell bent on this weekend now because of the derby. I'm still very on the fence. Didn't the April closures last year affect this area inshore?

Ive been there for the derby the last couple of years but not out of moutcha , i do the derby out of critter cove. You could basically fish anywhere within a mile from shore. No offshore fishing for springs!

I've fished there early June for a few years but not focused on Salmon. They have been a by catch once we have our fun with bottom fish. As stated before even mid June can be good in the areas like Beno as mentioned above. A couple of buddies and I will be up there mid June having fun. I really enjoy that time of year and with the amount of salmon fishing I do through out the year I pick the quietness of the place over the late July zoo. Can't wait for another year. Did some stocking up at the boat show today but hard to buy new stuff when you have so much, lol

Cheers, Rob

few years back we went late june and it was dead slow. last morning at Sam Carlos ( actually more like Beer Can Bay ) we limited in an hour. saved the trip. we were focussing on bottom fish and did well in that regards. as was mentioned, mich quieter this time of year; good time to get your bottom fish.

On that note it’s getting harder and harder to get your lings and hali off shore. all the closer rock piles are getting massacred by long liners. typically you have to venture damn well close to the highway to do ok, which is an additional 16 miles off the light house approx.

Last year fishing in Esperanza and I assume further south in Nootka was spectacular. From june 10th right through the end of july was lights out, Pin Rocks, low rock, Catella Island. We have a big inshore area, Tachu point all the way down to Ferrer point. That funnels a lot of offshore fish in chasing the huge schools of small herring that hung around the area The Nuchachlat are not letting DFO give the green light to Pattison to wipe out the rebuilding herring stocks in their traditional territory in the inlet. Fish were stuffed all the early part of the summer with immature herring.

Back