Moutcha Bay Late June, Thoughts?

Herring, anchovies, and needlefish will all work very well. With the cost of frozen bait these days, I normally stick to small needlefish spoons and hoochies. Works very well for us. 5" Tomic plugs also work well too. End of June is a real good time to be there, before the crowds set in. Good luck.....

Thanks, Pacemaker!! Will the springs be in the bay at that time, as opposed to mid-July? The idea of being ahead of the crowd is appealing!!! I will be in my Hobie kayak.

Hate to break it to you, but there is no way that there will be any big Springs in Moutcha Bay in June. They will almost all be on the outside, at the Lighthouse and beyond.....There may be a very few in Zuciarti Channel at the end of June, headed for the Burman River past Gold River, and maybe the odd one that got lost and ended up at Camel Rock, headed in the same direction, but you won't be able to get to any of them in your Hobie. Kayak fishing at Moutcha may start at the end of July, and certainly runs well into August and even September depending upon rainfall and river conditions when they then head upriver. Moutcha Bay and area is a great place to explore in a kayak in the morning before the afternoon westerlies blow in, and again in the evening after the winds die down, but June is not the right time to catch Spring salmon in the bay itself. ...Good luck and have fun on your trip.....

Hate to break it to you, but there is no way that there will be any big Springs in Moutcha Bay in June. They will almost all be on the outside, at the Lighthouse and beyond.....There may be a very few in Zuciarti Channel at the end of June, headed for the Burman River past Gold River, and maybe the odd one that got lost and ended up at Camel Rock, headed in the same direction, but you won't be able to get to any of them in your Hobie. Kayak fishing at Moutcha may start at the end of July, and certainly runs well into August and even September depending upon rainfall and river conditions when they then head upriver. Moutcha Bay and area is a great place to explore in a kayak in the morning before the afternoon westerlies blow in, and again in the evening after the winds die down, but June is not the right time to catch Spring salmon in the bay itself. ...Good luck and have fun on your trip.....

Good to know. Sounds like early to mid August is the time for a getting acquainted trip to Moutcha Bay, beofre the kayaking hordes descend. I've seen some YouTube videos of the fish taken during the Labor Day Derby, they tend to be rather dark, as if they are ducking in and out of the Conuma River.

Wow! Inside the Bay, or outside? Trolling or jigging? Not a kayak, I assume!!
Nice work!! Color me green with envy...

Doesn't the flasher and Turd give away the technique?
All caught at Beano in less than a couple of hours
That's when it's time to jig up some live ones, drift in the bay with no motor on, drop down a livey with nothing but a little weight. For even more fun, get some dry fly line on, 15 ft leader, strip off 20-30 pulls and let your livey swim around. Nothing quite like a nice spring sipping back a squid just below the surface then cartwheeling when you set the hook. Might get some drone footage of us doing this this season :D

What's a "Turd"??? Never heard of that one...Flasher, trolling of course! Duh...
Brown coloured Hootchie usually but not always Kajiki size.

ac5faa8d99e183ffed9bf694ffa021ab

Pretty hard to beat Ukee and Barkley during this time period. Just saying...
well that's kind of what I'm asking. If we're going that far and paying that much is there better opportunity elsewhere? Coming out of Vancouver.

well that's kind of what I'm asking. If we're going that far and paying that much is there better opportunity elsewhere? Coming out of Vancouver.
If the road to Ukee is drive-able I would go there. You could also launch in P/A and motor up to Bamfield or Ukee.
Conversely, you could also launch in Gold River and motor into any number of places in Nootka Sound. The road to Gold River is nice with some twisty bits.
It's another 40km on the dirt to Moutcha. Sometimes it's ok...

A buddy rented one of those 18’ CC a few years ago. They were limited by Moucha Bay on how far they were able to travel. The next year he rented a Grady and was able to travel offshore.

A buddy rented one of those 18’ CC a few years ago. They were limited by Moucha Bay on how far they were able to travel. The next year he rented a Grady and was able to travel offshore.
Ya, I think the limit is the Lighthouse for most of the rentals. Exception being larger Grady's et al.

Back