Motor mounted electric kickers? Tried one?

Here is a question would it be more efficient to run an electric motor from a gas generator or just use a gas motor?

The only question/concern, I have for you, is the bearing life on the electrics as they spin signifcantly while under main engine power.

the electric props are up out of the water
when the boats on plane...

Watch the video. Not always.

Good question about the bearings....not sure on that one, time will tell. They definitely do spin at times. You will see in the video that they did at first until I trimmed the engine and they settled into a horizontal position. That would be about 25kn which is normal cruising speed. Then I put it close to WOT to see what it would do. It again spun until settling down. I'd never run like this normally ever though. When it's choppy they will certainly spin more with the water moving. There was a decent amount of chatter on the water that afternoon.

Here is a question would it be more efficient to run an electric motor from a gas generator or just use a gas motor?

lol no such thing as a silly question! I don't have a generator...so can't do a test. The question is: how much gas would it take to charge 2000W with a little geni, which would get about 2.5 hours of trolling. Then compare how much gas is burned with a 9.9 for 2.5 hours of trolling. It would be interesting to know the answer. BC Hydro price is about $.25 to charge 2000w.

So what's the latest in performance
reviews...good bad...love em..?

So what's the latest in performance
reviews...good bad...love em..?

Good ideA; time for an update.

Overall I’ve been loving the motor. The only limitation is of course battery size and also it it a bit underpowered when there is both current and wind are going. That said, the limitation here is that my lithium battery cuts out if the draw is too much to protect it. I’m currently setting up a second battery bank to also be used for trolling. 2 glass mat types.

This weekend I got a solar setup off a friend. 300w of solar panels, charge controller, 1000w pure sine inverter and 3 batteries. Two will be used trolling and the other as an extra house battery for running electric cooler, lights, etc. $675 for the lot.

Two panels are on the roof and I made a removable rack for the other over the back deck which adds some nice shade but high enough to be out of the way for fishing.
AP.JPG

AP1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice...and how did u manage to get a wicked butt name like Dawn Patrol.

Didnt see that one in the name my boat thread...one of the best IMHO

cheers

Your biggest challenge Andrew is that the solar system itself is not very efficient. Most of the energy from the panel is taken off with heat. Not sure of the advancement in the batteries but you may need a fair amount.

A bit of advice ask Art for Dave Egles contact at HES PV. He is still running Carmanah's old home power division. Also Ray C. I think still is the engineering manager there could be some help. He is pretty smart.

Last edited:
Your biggest challenge Andrew is that the solar system itself is not very efficient. Most of the energy from the panel is taken off with heat. Not sure of the advancement in the batteries but you may need a fair amount.

A bit of advice ask Art for Dave Egles contact at HES PV. He is still running Carmanah's old home power division. Also Ray C. I think still is the engineering manager there could be some help. He is pretty smart.

Thanks Jerrod. Darren from back in carmanah is now working with BRNKL. He and Brandon from BRNKL is helping with calculations etc. And the whole system is monitored with a BRNKL.

Thanks Jerrod. Darren from back in carmanah is now working with BRNKL. He and Brandon from BRNKL is helping with calculations etc. And the whole system is monitored with a BRNKL.

That is great Darren knows the charging systems on those units, and the limitations. Tell him I say hello. Let me know how this goes I am now interested....

I would question the power under heavy tidal flows? With gas power you can throttle up. Sure looks and sound like a lot of extra equipment instead of simply tapping into the existing fuel supply.

I would question the power under heavy tidal flows? With gas power you can throttle up. Sure looks and sound like a lot of extra equipment instead of simply tapping into the existing fuel supply.
I think that's a good question, Fishchaser, and that's what Andrew is exploring - how well it works and when. If it does work, there are advantages, just like there are with electric cars - and those weren't commercially ready 10 years ago, but they are changing rapidly. And there may always be situations where gas or diesel is better than electric.

As for equipment - it needs a battery [got it]; needs charging [got it]; needs a motor [don't have it, but its cheaper than a kicker]. What if you had both - you could troll silently when conditions are right, and use gas when they aren't. I'm keen to hear more.

From looking at this isn't something to replace the outboards . But for key times when current in minimal I think they would be useful.

I can see some advantages for sure as far as being quiet. I am a big believer in the amount of current your boat puts out affecting your fishing numbers. I wonder if these add additional charge your boat emits?

Sounds like a couple different discussions on 2 types of current; water and electricity.

When the current is pumping in the Juan de Fuca...I am definitely trolling on the main...unless it is for big chinook. I mostly like to fish the current changes, which is when the electric is best. That said...the electric motor CAN put out a ton of thrust if you had the battery capacity. Similar to cranking a kicker to the max, your fuel economy would suffer. My boat is 3800lb so it is definitely on the heavy side for this particular motor. When the sun is shining like today, and I am getting about 150w from the solar, plus the fully charged battery, it extends the trolling time.

As for electrical current....I have thought about this a lot and can't come to a conclusion of whether having an actual electric motor in the water attracts or repels the fish. I do know though that I have caught big chinook with just a spoon down 25' on the dR trolling with the electric.

Back