Motor mounted electric kickers? Tried one?

I like the fact you could put the batteries up in your boy to distribute the weight. sounds like you need about 80-100 pounds of battery for 4 hours of troll where I would like to be with this set up.

That is the EM 80. This is the EM 160, which is basically just two of those mounted side by side. I would think that would would get more than 2X the thrust of the single since they are spread apart, like the water flowing past the main motor leg.

Your electric setup looks awesome. What kind of speed were you able to get with these motors? Same as a kicker setup?

Last edited:
Love the idea.

How long would the charge take using standard shore power?

Be interesting to see how they do in a chop. How much water is above the trolling motor prop? A couple of cm?

Did you try with main motor in gear so its prop is locked versus neutral free spinning?

Also any interference effects on the fish finder?

Did you ask Mercury mechanic about warranty coverage or maybe you are already past that? Merc might have a no tolerance policy on added equipment around their motors. Certainly spacer brackets between motor and mounting surface are not permitted in USA.

Hmmmm, sure wouldn't want get a downrigger cable snagged up on it and the main engine, could be a long row back.
I would very leary of it in a heavy chop and counting it for a long ride home if the main decided to not start .
I had lots of electric motors when in Sask and every year I go out with my Bro using one and found they are 3-4 hours best dead
slow and I sure wouldn't want to rely on them for a return flight home lol, thats me though lol

Hmmmm, sure wouldn't want get a downrigger cable snagged up on it and the main engine, could be a long row back.
I would very leary of it in a heavy chop and counting it for a long ride home if the main decided to not start .
I had lots of electric motors when in Sask and every year I go out with my Bro using one and found they are 3-4 hours best dead
slow and I sure wouldn't want to rely on them for a return flight home lol, thats me though lol

Legit concerns...but I like to mitigate risk proactively. That's why our main is new, have good insurance, have a membership to C-Tow, have a satellite emergency/text device on board and of course radio . Oh, and way more chance of getting your DR like into a kicker on the side. And like all things in life there is risk and reward...and the reward of trolling in silence is worth the risks in my opinion. But of course, this is not for everyone.

And with that, the battery is charged and I am going to soak some lines...

Well, apparently the battery didn't come fully charged. After charging up fully I was able to troll for just under 3 hours on this battery pack. I am very happy with that. Adding one or two more and will be good to go for sure.

I took a clip while taking off and planing and seems like very little affect or spray.

I want my outboard back. So quiet.

I use an electric for trolling on Elk Lake. It’s an amazing experience to just “be” in the sounds of nature. Very hard to go back to a gas motor after that. Good on you AP for giving this a go in the salt!

I use an electric for trolling on Elk Lake. It’s an amazing experience to just “be” in the sounds of nature. Very hard to go back to a gas motor after that. Good on you AP for giving this a go in the salt!

The silence is just awesome. And, I am past the point of return. This afternoons test produced a nice 12lb chinook right in front of Macaulay Point. Performed well in the wind too (15kn gusting to 20).

Seems like off of two battery packs you could get 4-6 hours of run time. That’s getting pretty reasonable

Also speed control is right with u anywhere u want it in the boat and the steering is built into the main so simple.

Factoring that is also makes the price even more reasonable.

Now your going to need one of these so you can run your fridge through the next power outage.:)
51en9LhBTLL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Not something I want to do, but a very interesting thread. Your work looks great and I certainly like the appeal of silent trolling, however I do like the gentle hum of my Yamaha 9.9 and the singing of a downrigger line. I also like the safety of having two engines to limp me home if need be.

The only question/concern, I have for you, is the bearing life on the electrics as they spin signifcantly while under main engine power.

Back