Missing Boat

Time to reflect on what matters in life and to at least learn from what appears to be a developing tragedy. I would assume that all Hali fishers who anchor should go over their procedures in detail!!. I for one will be looking over all my safety gear and reflecting on the "what if's" and also to think a bit on my man overboard drills. Nuff said! Sad day for all concerned I'm afraid.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

They were found last night.
No Survivors.
Dammit. [V]

Nog

Why post if your information is incorrect. The family and friends don't need this kind of post. My prayers go out to the families that the fishermen are found safe.

[/quote]

Why post if your information is incorrect. The family and friends don't need this kind of post. My prayers go out to the families that the fishermen are found safe.
[/quote]

The families don't need all of you critics sitting around speculating and saying whats right and wrong, how the media is lying, how SAR is lying, etc etc... so many opinions, so little truth and fact of the matter!

I think the families would either want you to keep it zipped and stop speculating, or get your butt out there to help in the search?!

The simple explanation is that an accident happened, like thousands before and thousands to come. Nothing we do is 100% safe and never will be, no matter how hard we try. Going offshore in any vessel comes with some risk. A simple breakdown can be totally unavoidable and can cause dire consequences. Planes crash, boats sink and trains collide, its a fact of life. I too hope they somehow made it to shore and will be found alive and well. That too is possible, its happened before and will again.

CHEK-TV has a video report here:

http://www.cheknews.ca/

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

CHEK-TV has a video report here:

http://www.cheknews.ca/

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Thanks for keeping the current reports coming Sushihunter it is much appreciated. This one said it was washed a shore? the other one indicated it was anchored 6 miles offshore? The god damn media I hate them. Which is it? What really happened? This one is a blunderbus for sure[}:) media wise. I am still hoping for a miracle.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

I hope these guys can beat the odds. an EPIRB would have been a safe edition for a offshore boat of this size.From the photos that I have seen of these boats at the lodge ,none seem to have radar.

quote:

Thanks for keeping the current reports coming Sushihunter it is much appreciated. This one said it was washed a shore? the other one indicated it was anchored 6 miles offshore? The god damn media I hate them. Which is it? What really happened? This one is a blunderbus for sure[}:) media wise. I am still hoping for a miracle.

Sculpin: You are most welcome. I know that many here do not have the time to track down the reports. I do, and I want to be informed, as I'm sure all of us on this forum do.

I do not know the guide, Kevin or any of his guests. That they are a fellow fishing guide and fellow fishermen is enough to want a safe outcome for them, though I fear it is not to be.

The reason we speculate on what happened is to make sense of it. And perhaps to insure that it never happens to any of us.

The National Post had a great article today that sheds some light on situations such as this:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Canada+cultural+addiction+rule+making/3371419/story.html

* Note: Tofino Coast Guard just put out a Pan-Pan alert - Confirms what we alread know - Boat found, still looking for the 4 passengers.

I think it is safe to say that we all go fishing because we truly love the sport. If it was just about putting meat in the freezer, there are better and cheaper ways of doing it.

Let's all do what we can to make sure that we and our guests are as safe as we can make it. Let's all do what we can to make sure we come home at the end of the day safely - even if that means we wait out a storm in a safe place and come home late. And let's all hope that 4 lost fishermen get home safely.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

The coast guard (or your Canadian version) are keeping the families updated many times a day.

Just got back from Winter Harbor, we were drift jigging for Hali's 4 miles out right by a Qualicum boat and they were anchored out there. Now this does'nt mean anything other than this is a practice they use. I have heard the Victoria boys talk about this technique, there are not the same tide issues out there, but some other adversity's I'm sure.
I'm not drawing any conclusions, because i don't know the facts, and information I've heard is mixed on weather that day, and were the boat was actually found.
I work in the forestry industry and we are regulated like crazy. For you guides out there, other than needing minimum SVOP, and MED3 and meeting DOT regulations are there any compensation work safe procedures in your job?

There is still Hope.

11 AM - CBC Radio News just reported that when they righted the boat, they found all the life jackets still onboard the boat. The CCG is preparing to hand over the search to RCMP and it will turn into a recovery operation some time this afternoon.

On hearing this news, I can only conclude the worst possible outcome. When the boat capsized, none of the passengers were wearing life jackets, and all were lost to the fridgid waters.

Truly sad.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

they still could have made it to shore.the boat might have capsized on the beach from swells.lets still keep our fingers crossed.

Horrible feeling about this one...

I hope that as a result the government will take a look at the whole charter industry. They need to tighten up the regulations badly! There are some shady outfits out here that are running some Mickey Mouse operations. One on the west coast (Don't want to name them, they might be on this forum) I have actually had to tow the lodges boat back to the lodge because it broke down and they had no radio, out of cell phone range, I just happened to be the last boat of the night passing by and saw them waving their lifejackets at me.

Some simple but yet vital equipment might have changed the perceived outcome of this story. Mandatory survival suits and beacons come to mind. I hope it never happens to anyone, but the sea can be the most dangerous at exactly the wrong time.

Four fishermen missing almost a week off the rugged coast of Vancouver Island were not wearing life jackets, said the Canadian Coast Guard today.

“All the life jackets have been located in a locker,” said officer Wayne Bamford of the Victoria Joint Rescue Coordination Centre. “It’s not good news. Our estimate of their chances of survival is pretty near zero.”

Their overturned boat, the Qualicum River 9, was found on Saturday and had been missing since Aug. 2 after departing Winter Harbour.

Aboard were Canadian fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, 36, and three Americans in their 50s: Peter Idlewine; and brothers Gary and Tony Evans.

Bamford said the search is continuing on Sunday with two ships, a helicopter and plane.

He said a decision will likely be made on Monday on whether the search will continue or “turn into a recovery operation.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/...+Coast+Guard/3374703/story.html#ixzz0w3Mm0ssG

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/canadian_officials_suspend_sea.html

Canadian officials suspend search for Portland-area fishermen after boat is found with life jackets inside

Published: Sunday, August 08, 2010, 3:07 PM
Updated: Sunday, August 08, 2010, 3:47 PM
Molly Hottle, The Oregonian

Canadian officials said today that the search for three Portland-area fishermen and their guide has been called off after the boat they were in was found capsized and with all life jackets inside.

The 19-foot aluminum fishing boat that Peter Idlewine 53, of Brush Prairie, Gary Evans, 54, of Vancouver, and Tony Evans, 52, of Canby, had been traveling in with their fishing guide Kevin Sturgess was found upside down and anchored Saturday seven nautical miles from the shore near Vancouver Island.

Wayne Bamford, a coast guard officer with the Joint Rescue Coordination Center in Victoria, B.C., said without floatation devices, there’s “zero chance” any of them will be found alive.

"It’s a very rugged, uninhabited coastline,” Bamford said about the area where the boat was found. There are large, rocky cliff faces. The water is extremely cold.”

Bamford said rescue crews today narrowed the search to a smaller area where the bodies would have likely drifted and also combed the coastline, but found nothing.

The search has since been suspended.

The four men left off the north coast of the island in British Columbia on Monday with their fishing guide. They were last heard from later that afternoon.

-- Molly Hottle

© 2010 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100808/bc_search_ends_100808/20100808?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Search for missing fisherman called off
By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Sunday Aug. 8, 2010 4:18 PM PT

Authorities say there is no hope that the three U.S. fishermen and their B.C. guide who went missing off the coast of Vancouver Island on Monday could have survived a week at sea.

Their six-metre aluminum charter boat was found empty on Saturday afternoon by a sport fisherman. The vessel was then towed back to the shore, where Mounties inspected the boat and made a grim discovery.

"RCMP officers found a locker containing all the lifejackets that were said to be on board, which indicates that nobody was wearing a floatation device," Coast Guard Officer Wayne Bamford of the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre said.

The boat was found anchored seven nautical miles from the shoreline. "There's no hope of making it to shore from there without floatation. Certainly after six days there's really no hope of survival," Bamford said.

The search was called off on Sunday. Crews conducted one final sweep, combing the shoreline and performing an aerial search of the water before turning in.

Mounties will now treat their disappearance as a missing persons case.

B.C. guide Kevin Sturgess and Washington State resident Peter Idlewine have been identified as among the missing men. Police say the names of the other two fishermen are not being released at the request of their families.

The men haven't been heard from since Monday morning, when they left the Qualicum River Fishing Lodge. The lodge reported them missing Monday afternoon, spurring a search of the waters from Quatsino Sound in the north to Nootka Sound in the south.

The boat was found eight nautical miles northwest of Brooks Peninsula.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Very Sad,

Maybe could have been prevented know a few people who have brought boats back at the end of the season for this lodge and even though they are double hulled many of the boats have small leaks and are full of water between the hulls and get heavier as the season goes on
if they were anchored fishing wich they do most of the time one wave in the boat could have flipped it in a second. thoughts go out to the families

Well this is as grim as it gets. I was hoping for a better outcome but in the back off my mind I figured the odds were slim. I am not a stranger to these situations as my father was lost to the sea off Cape Mudge and a good friend was missing in Colorado for a week and was found dead struck by lightening.SAR operations were involved in both instances.My hats off to the personel the undertake that job. And yes I did get off my butt and participate in the above mentioned incindences. My sincerest condolences go out to the families. I hope some positive changes come from this tragedy. Osprey

Back