Minimum Radar For Heading Offshore

Well I'd say I've got a blind spot. How much that'll matter while offshore is to be determined. View attachment 64959
Is this where I get to say I told you so?
haha just kidding, sort of
I think you’ll be fine with what you’ll be using this for 90% of the time.
One thing to consider when setting it up for the correct angle for cruising, is that you’ll probably be prudently less than full cruising speed in restricted visibility when you really need it so don’t set it up for balls to the wall throttle.
Next time you are out, turn the sea and rain clutter all the way off, turn gain up til you just see a little “snow” around the picture, and then adjust sea clutter carefully and slowly to make up for any interference around you. Don’t worry about trying to tune all the crap out of your blind spot, better to just leave it there so you have the best picture ahead. If you turn sea clutter up when it’s rough and rain clutter up when it’s raining, DON’T FORGET TO TURN THEM BACK DOWN AFTERWARDS.
Practice a ton on nice days in good vis, then you’ll be comfy on the days when you really need it.
Some guys go so far as to put newspaper up to block the windows so it forces you to navigate by radar. Do your usual runs and have a buddy on real lookout to make sure you don’t mess up too bad.
good luck

Is this where I get to say I told you so?
haha just kidding, sort of
I think you’ll be fine with what you’ll be using this for 90% of the time.
One thing to consider when setting it up for the correct angle for cruising, is that you’ll probably be prudently less than full cruising speed in restricted visibility when you really need it so don’t set it up for balls to the wall throttle.
Next time you are out, turn the sea and rain clutter all the way off, turn gain up til you just see a little “snow” around the picture, and then adjust sea clutter carefully and slowly to make up for any interference around you. Don’t worry about trying to tune all the crap out of your blind spot, better to just leave it there so you have the best picture ahead. If you turn sea clutter up when it’s rough and rain clutter up when it’s raining, DON’T FORGET TO TURN THEM BACK DOWN AFTERWARDS.
Practice a ton on nice days in good vis, then you’ll be comfy on the days when you really need it.
Some guys go so far as to put newspaper up to block the windows so it forces you to navigate by radar. Do your usual runs and have a buddy on real lookout to make sure you don’t mess up too bad.
good luck
I know I know. And yes I need practice. I've been running it while out on sunny days and I'll be damned if I could figure out how far things are. Coming through tight areas it feels like I'm on top of land though. Thanks for the tips.

Back