Minimum Radar For Heading Offshore

I don't want to fart around putting wedges etc on mine once it's all mounted. Be easier if it's on steel structure to do any adjustments etc.
What my buddy did as a fab guy was he brought out a level on a calm day we went for a cruise on plane and he put the level on the side window and then drew a line on window when the bubble was perfect , then got back to shore he used another tool to determine the angle of degree. he made the arch and it was perfect once installed , You work with all that sort of stuff SV im sure you know what tools to use ...I know you do have alot of wiggle room on Radar degrees as boats moving up and down etc if you start out almost true your ahead of the game

What my buddy did as a fab guy was he brought out a level on a calm day we went for a cruise on plane and he put the level on the side window and then drew a line on window when the bubble was perfect , then got back to shore he used another tool to determine the angle of degree. he made the arch and it was perfect once installed , You work with all that sort of stuff SV im sure you know what tools to use ...I know you do have alot of wiggle room on Radar degrees as boats moving up and down etc if you start out almost true your ahead of the game

Yeah I just sort of asked the costs from a guy I know who just got an arch made. I just thought it might be easier. Expensive. I don't think I will be getting one unless a get set up for bending tube in my shop.

Thanks for tip.... sounds like I need a wedge when I mount this thing...

I used the level app on my phone on the table. All you need is the difference between at rest and on plane and there you have it.

didn't have apps back then LMAO
That thing is amazingly accurate and handy. We use it all the time now. You can set one angle and compare it against another 100' away and work out the difference. I use it on plumbing rough-ins to check their work at times. Slopes on window sills and flashings. Amazing.

I have a very similar set-up as yours, but mine is mounted just under the visor on the flybridge. Top of radar is level with top of visor. No blind spot on my setup.

Last edited:
I have a very similar set-up as yours, but mine is mount just under the visor on the flybridge. Top of radar is level with top of visor. No blind spot on my setup.
Yeah I saw a few like that. But when I mocked it up I just couldn't handle how much it blocked the view from the bridge so I lowered it. Made for an interesting install as well...
20210330_114222.jpg

Is there a way to make a (good looking) spacer that would raise the radar unit up like 6-8 inches. That looks like it would improve the lines. How about a small scissor lift that is only used when going out when radar is needed. Other times it can stay where it is now. Maybe a bit fiddley raising it up but probably don’t need it many times a year.

Oly

Yeah I saw a few like that. But when I mocked it up I just couldn't handle how much it blocked the view from the bridge so I lowered it. Made for an interesting install as well...

Is there a way to make a (good looking) spacer that would raise the radar unit up like 6-8 inches. That looks like it would improve the lines. How about a small scissor lift that is only used when going out when radar is needed. Other times it can stay where it is now. Maybe a bit fiddley raising it up but probably don’t need it many times a year.

Oly
I think in a real desperate situation you're right I could raise it up. I think for seeing targets a half mile out while bobbing around it'll suffice though. Not perfect obviously but with this and AIS I wouldn't feel in any danger.

When I'm trolling or just bobbing around I just set a guard at 1-2 miles and the AIS and feel totally safe when running 5-10 miles just because of the closing rate. Once your moving if their is a blind spot behind you it won't matter anyway.

Here’s a couple Commanders i was hanging out with last spring. couple different variations to consider amigo

Attachments

• E6AB6233-388B-4785-A5DC-C4427A459CAB.jpg
    E6AB6233-388B-4785-A5DC-C4427A459CAB.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 61
Back