Merc 175

sir-vivor

Hi Guys,

Well with the new prices of the Merc 200s being 4 grand more than last year I am looking at maybe a Merc 175. I know , I know never go down in power but !

I have a 21st Striper that has a 1996 200 Ocean Pro on it (works great but getting old) and the boat is a soft top weighing only 2200 lbs. Most 21ft stripers WITH HARD TOPS have 200 hp and they weigh significantly more.

I'm thinking of going with a new Merc 175.

Could I get some responses to this , especially if your running a 175 on your 21ft boat.

Thanks
I know , I know , spend the extra 4 k , but sorry just cant do it

Hi Guys,

Well with the new prices of the Merc 200s being 4 grand more than last year I am looking at maybe a Merc 175. I know , I know never go down in power but !

I have a 21st Striper that has a 1996 200 Ocean Pro on it (works great but getting old) and the boat is a soft top weighing only 2200 lbs. Most 21ft stripers WITH HARD TOPS have 200 hp and they weigh significantly more.

I'm thinking of going with a new Merc 175.

Could I get some responses to this , especially if your running a 175 on your 21ft boat.

Thanks
I know , I know , spend the extra 4 k , but sorry just cant do it
What price were you quoted. The people on here might find you a deal on a new 200.

What price were you quoted. The people on here might find you a deal on a new 200.
$24,958 + Install 1200 ++ (last year $21,000 + install ). I realize its a supply and demand thing and got to accept it, it just pushed me out of the market , so if its possible to stay in the game , I have to consider downsize is my next option. I'm not worried about traveling at 45 mph when I can do 30 mph lol

Have you talked to chris over at inlet ?
No , but from whom I've spoken to seems to be very little movement on the prices for the 200s so seeing what the feelings out there are on possibly moving onto to 175 which is in my budget ...thanks for your heads up will call them

Spend the extra money! Or at least get some more quotes instead of just assuming that everyone will give you the same price increase. Even check with bass pro shops. They buy more mercs than anyone so they buy them at a better rate.

i had a 175 optimax on my 20' trophy. It was the biggest allowed. It was fine, but struggled getting up on plane when loaded to go to nootka with 5 people and gear. I would never want to go under the 175.

i had a 175 optimax on my 20' trophy. It was the biggest allowed. It was fine, but struggled getting up on plane when loaded to go to nootka with 5 people and gear. I would never want to go under the 175.
echo that 175 is equivalent to a 150 two stroke. so 175 - 200 4 stroke perfect.

Better stop looking for that 200hp I want, called another suggested dealership and the price was $400 more , Crazy !
28% increase in 200hp engine price in less than one year ....... time to go Walleye fishing in Sask maybe !

Keep in mind that unless you get into the bigger displacement engines like the 225 and up there is not much difference from a 150, 175 and 200. they are rated at their HP 5000 - 6000 RPM. Some at 5500 - 6000. At cruising speeds 4 - 4500 they are relatively the same. Doesn't matter the brand. Mercs 175 and 200 are the exact same. I think their 150s are the same displacement as the 115 now.

175 would be just fine for a 21ft boat.

Back