Outboard Power for 21’ walkaround

I haven't had my hands on a G2 yet. The techs on the Etec owners group rave about the G2 triple series, less complimentary about the larger motors.

I've been an evinrude mechanic for many moons. Put it this way, evinrude solidified me into the marine industry. If a consumer gets their hand on a G2 and think they can work on it, nope. Different diag support. They did start getting good results with powerheads and yes the inline was not bad at all. Their biggest fuckup was the integrated hydraulic steering system on the larger stuff. Gotta hand it to them in so many ways though. They were always the first to make somthing possible or go for new technology. Sad to see em go. That definitely changed the industry for me that's for sure.

BRP was smart. Power industry is weird right now. We have major emissions changes in the forcast. While it's a bit foggy, it's still showing on the radar. Mix that with the big question mark all over the power industry about electric power, mix that with there is no money in outboards. It's a tough one. We'll definitely see what happens here in the next few years. Electric controls and steering are basically going to take over, and we're on the brink of all kinds of things. It's a big "we'll see!"

Last edited:
I've been an evinrude mechanic for many moons. Put it this way, evinrude solidified me into the marine industry. If a consumer gets their hand on a G2 and think they can work on it, nope. Different diag support. They did start getting good results with powerheads and yes the inline was not bad at all. Their biggest fuckup was the integrated hydraulic steering system on the larger stuff. Gotta hand it to them in so many ways though. They were always the first to make somthing possible or go for new technology. Sad to see em go. That definitely changed the industry for me that's for sure.

BRP was smart. Power industry is weird right now. We have major emissions changes in the forcast. While it's a bit foggy, it's still showing on the radar. Mix that with the big question mark all over the power industry about electric power, mix that with there is no money in outboards. It's a tough one. We'll definitely see what happens here in the next few years. Electric controls and steering are basically going to take over, and we're on the brink of all kinds of things. It's a big "we'll see!"
Veremos, amigo.

I don’t know how to link threads but I started a new one “Trophy Pod Project” for anyone who wants to follow the process. Cheers.

Back