Outboard Power for 21’ walkaround

A-a-Ron

Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger to pod/repower my boat. Looked new/replacement but new is $150k plus and replacement isn’t, well… new! Love my boat but want reliability and it is slightly underpowered (4.3v6 rated 190hp I’m sure it’s less at its age now)

2006 Trophy Pro 2052 WA (21’7”) 3500lbs dry weight w/o fuel gear people etc.

To the guys who have similar styles 2101 Stripers etc, what are you running and how does it perform. Or anyone with an opinion, whatcha think? Gas is far less consideration than a good hole shot, which I don’t have now. I’m not a speed demon just want proper power. I’ve seen 175 but that seems low. 200? 225? Yamaha or Merc?

We aren’t fishing much these days so at least we can talk about boats…

SIDE NOTE: anyone wanna buy a decent running 4.3V6 and Alpha one leg?? Lol

I’d watch @kaelc ’s thread, I’d think a i4 200 from yam or zuki would be pretty close to perfect with keeping your motor weight down. Although perhaps with a full pod you might be able to afford some more weight and be able to get a v6 200. @Brando may know some more on what a proper pod can do to handle a few more hundred lbs.

Buddy has 175hp zuke on a late 90's 2002 trophy, It's enough but a 200hp would be that little extra.

I have 225 on my 22‘ wellcraft. Never really looking for more but the more the merrier!

Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger to pod/repower my boat. Looked new/replacement but new is $150k plus and replacement isn’t, well… new! Love my boat but want reliability and it is slightly underpowered (4.3v6 rated 190hp I’m sure it’s less at its age now)

To the guys who have similar styles 2101 Stripers etc, what are you running and how does it perform. Or anyone with an opinion, whatcha think? Gas is far less consideration than a good hole shot, which I don’t have now. I’m not a speed demon just want proper power. I’ve seen 175 but that seems low. 200? 225? Yamaha or Merc?

I ran a 2000 ~ 2101 cc stripper from 2000 to 2018. Originally it came with a 175 hp Evinrude Ficht that blew a gearcase and had a failed fuel injector within 2 years. We put a 200 Honda on it and ran it for 16 years without any issues. Hopefully it’s still running out there somewhere. The 200 combined with the right prop allowed me to troll and get up on plane fast. I spent many summers running 25 miles offshore out of Bamfield.
my 2 cents
Stosh

I ran a 2000 ~ 2101 cc stripper from 2000 to 2018. Originally it came with a 175 hp Evinrude Ficht that blew a gearcase and had a failed fuel injector within 2 years. We put a 200 Honda on it and ran it for 16 years without any issues. Hopefully it’s still running out there somewhere. The 200 combined with the right prop allowed me to troll and get up on plane fast. I spent many summers running 25 miles offshore out of Bamfield.
my 2 cents
Stosh
It’s still running……

I have a similar spec boat (Proline 201). Currently i have a 150hp Mercury Verado and it does the trick. most economically cruising at 21-23 kts and WOT 32kt. if i was going to re-power, i would go 175hp-200hp based on what my transom can handle. Keep in mind as if you're podding, you can go a lot higher in power.

As for hole shot, if you got trim tabs. use them. I have electric bennet tabs with auto retract and indicator LEDs which makes it easy to use.

I have a 07 Grady 208 with a 200V6 yamaha. I'd say it's powered adequately. Cruises at 27mph. The V6 is a bit heavy imo. With the kicker and bracket she is a touch stern heavy.

I have a 21.5 Campion with a 200 hp Optimax and think that is ideal power for my boat. I have good hole shot but can cruise nicely at 3400 rpm doing 27 to 28 mph using 7 to 8 US gal/hr.
...Rob

My dad had a couple of those trophy’s 2 of them had 175 mercs boats went well. He also had another one with the 4.3 inboard and it was soft.

For the record, that’s an awesome do-everything boat. I always wonder why more people don’t pod the newer trophy boats! 200 gets my vote. You’ll be glad when you’re packing 3 friends and gear and fighting to stay on top of ocean swells.

@Sliver09 runs a new 200hp merc on his factory outboard model 2002 W/A trophy pro, same as your boat just the outboard model. The 175-225hp mercs are the same block/weight I believe just different tuning from my understanding. His boat is perfect with the 200 he’s been all over the coast in it with some heavy loads never had an issue.

drop a new leg and mpi V6 back in
my old 22' biddison would do close to 30mph and keep on step at 3200 doing 15 mph that was with a kem kodiak 4.3 4bb vortec heads giving 220hp alpha gen 19P high five

going to be cheaper than podding and hanging a 200hp or bigger motor off the back used or new

my old 22' biddison would do close to 30mph and keep on step at 3200 doing 15 mph that was with a kem kodiak 4.3 4bb vortec heads giving 220hp alpha gen 19P high five

going to be cheaper than podding and hanging a 200hp or bigger motor off the back used or new
There are far too many benefits to podding for this to make sense anymore unless there's a specific reason he would want the inboard if he can afford it, pod all the way

I’ve thought about that route but really not a fan of I/O in general, never have been. Yes it’d be cheaper, rough numbers it’s a $20-25k job versus a $40-$45k job, and for the extra deck space and the reliability of an outboard, maintenance etc, I’m sold on the pod/outboard route. It’s only money right? Unless I pull the plug on the whole thing lol.

Back