Lumber Prices

At work this year we have a 17% price increase on aluminum, 6 weeks until they even look at your aluminum order and process it, 15-100% increase on certain glass types, 2 months to get glass, 3-4 months to get roxul insulation. Glass suppliers are cancelling orders for glazing contractors on large projects. This shitshow just keeps rolling.

Yeah your aluminum matches what I am seeing on materials on metal. Same with lead time. I feel for any of you guys building anything right now.

But wait there is more !! i. was getting loaded at slegg for a delivery yesterday when talking with the shipper who told me all the small vendors for everything else besides lumber , ie; nails,glue,paper .. you guessed it! all going up another 7%

Getting a second quote now... problem is time. The other place is about a month behind which would hold everything up. Can’t put a price on that. I’ll know more when the quote comes in.

Luckily my quotes for paint/drywall/hvac/electrical/plumbing etc are exactly on budget. Taking a hit on on a few things puts me well over budget but projected sale prices keep rising too so I hopefully will make up for it on the back end.

Luckily my quotes for paint/drywall/hvac/electrical/plumbing etc are exactly on budget. Taking a hit on on a few things puts me well over budget but projected sale prices keep rising too so I hopefully will make up for it on the back end.
I can't get guys to honor quotes for more than 30 minutes these days. I just told my clients "everything will be more".
PWlq7WIPEYToDCStkeLfh6fMAqM47APJRhd55pV7Hc0=.jpeg
New wood will be attached to all the old wood in the name of "retention". $15k in lumber just to sister the main floor joists and add some beams.
20210507_173036.jpg

I can't get guys to honor quotes for more than 30 minutes these days. I just told my clients "everything will be more".
View attachment 67040
New wood will be attached to all the old wood in the name of "retention". $15k in lumber just to sister the main floor joists and add some beams.
View attachment 67041
Cool design. I’m not allowed to show the rendering of mine. Realtor wants to keep it a secret.

Kidding. I’m keeping it low profile for the time being.

Last edited:
It went with my own first name idea. It was rejected by the name registry well before the contest, but I called the company on the mainland and he wrote my lawyer a letter saying it was cool for me to use it, so I got it. It wasn’t even close the the same name and he agreed.
There are some nice people out there still...

When I found out I won, I upped the prize to a Dickinson sea b que ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 67040
View attachment 67041
Looks move in ready to me and the other squatters.

At work this year we have a 17% price increase on aluminum, 6 weeks until they even look at your aluminum order and process it, 15-100% increase on certain glass types, 2 months to get glass, 3-4 months to get roxul insulation. Glass suppliers are cancelling orders for glazing contractors on large projects. This shitshow just keeps rolling.
Similar story for my employer. Glass company upped prices with only 2 weeks heads up. Then a couple weeks later had no more glass available, supplier issues to them. Aluminum supply has been troublesome as well, but no glass for railings for who knows how long, really sucks with the popularity of glass rails.

I’m ordering as much stuff as I can for my new build as quickly as I can. Garage doors, flooring, windows, appliances etc all ordered and I haven’t even broken ground yet.
This is bananas!

I’m ordering as much stuff as I can for my new build as quickly as I can. Garage doors, flooring, windows, appliances etc all ordered and I haven’t even broken ground yet.
This is bananas!

There was a custom home builder on CKNW yesterday. He says what he's doing right now is handing his clients a list of things they need to pick out by X dates of the build. He said if his clients can do it then they haven't ran into to many delays but he said because they have a Wearhouse are ordering pretty much everything before its being built.

Id imagine that would make the build go smoother but i can't imagine my wife picking out tile and fixtures before she could see what a room looked like.

That’s the difference between spec and custom. Everything gets picked out up front. I’m paying a reputable designer good money to do this for me, as this home is a higher end and stunningly beautiful build. Within 2 weeks I will have full lifelike renderings with every appliance and faucet etc while I will be nothing but a hole in the ground.

The technology is incredible!

Omg I was there with my son on Saturday 1/2 inch plywood 68 bucks so I bought some 2x3 econo studs Jan 1 they were 3.68 each now they were 5.98 for economic studs and I couldn’t even find straight ones. Imagine trying to build a house your budget would be out to lunch with prices doubling every three months. Almost cheaper to make it out of metal
straight? They are econo studs

I've been taking delivery - and paying for - joist and beam packages as soon as they're available, in some cases even before footings were started. Not unheard of for supplier to "borrow" items from one package to complete another and ship it out, then original purchaser is caught short. Madhouse will continue until Texas chemical plants are back in full production.

Back