Struck gold! WTH is with the price of drain plug's and lower leg washers

smokedvw

Honestly how much do you think a drain plug WASHER is for a 2006 Yamaha 150..... drumroll!!!

$17.50

WTH?

17.50 for a crush washer. The drain plug was $27. (kids were around and I got distracted on the socket size when I had 2 on the bench) but honestly $50 for both. I remember 8 years ago when $50 would buy all my washers and oil for an oil change.

Mercury is now $8.50 for the oil plug washer, $6 for the lower unit washers but Yamaha at $17.50 for the washer come on.

Things are getting out of hand. On a side note I must have thought about this 3 years ago when I bought 4 Merc oil plug washers and a few of lower unit washers but now that I have a Yamaha there is no way I'm ordering local. I could have got that drain plug for $5 in the US and another $2 for the crush washer. I'm just going to stock up next time I go down there and get a vacuum oil pump out for the 150.

Things are getting out of hand. oil.jpg
Image is for a joke, I have another bag with more but how crazy is it getting. I remember when those blue ones were $1 and the yellow were $4.

This spring I tried to buy Seapower cleaner/wax and discovered it is no longer available (in Canada anyway). Looking at alternatives, the similar 3M product was $100 for a 1L bottle. I couldn’t believe it.

I think I got mine for a couple bucks cheaper but ya.. quite the tab for a relatively simple service
1000013411.jpg

I spent $450 on a thermostat, gasket, that $18 washer, 5 small zincs/grommets, ring free, a gallon of oil, and a couple 10mm bolts. literally a pocket full of parts except the oil. My stator cooked and Yamaha wanted $1200 for one. Luckily I found a used one for $300 shipped.

On the plus side, the packaging is really nice. Makes a fella feel like he’s buying something special.

I guess now I'm off warranty I can use whatever I want. Is there a real difference between Quicksilver 10W30 and Quaker State?

There was a youtube oil analysis posted on another thread a while back
and there was virtually no difference.
I dont know why I never thought of this. I've been only buying marine oil for the whole time I've been working on my boats. I might need to switch it up. I just spent another $80 on some oil for my 50hp and 9.9hp mercs this morning.

Wow time to get on that Pennzoil ;)

The cold oil race announcement is defiantly a highlight!

Hey @scott craven lets hope all us aren't back here in 2024/5 wishing we didn't see this video ;)

Back