Lumber Prices

I've been taking delivery - and paying for - joist and beam packages as soon as they're available, in some cases even before footings were started. Not unheard of for supplier to "borrow" items from one package to complete another and ship it out, then original purchaser is caught short. Madhouse will continue until Texas chemical plants are back in full production.
What do Texas chemical plants have to do with lumber prices here? Serious question, not being a dick.

I'm a custom builder in Vancouver and last year I finished a duplex for $296 per square foot (hard costs, plus fee). I just priced out that same build and if we were to do it now, it would be up nudging $375 per square foot. Basically a 27% rise in prices in the last 18 months. Yes lumber has been a major player in the escalation, but as mentioned here, plumbing, electrical etc all skyrocketing right now. And even products like Trex seem to push up 5-7% every 4-6 months.

Is there anyone looking at this type of construction in BC?
Pretty sure structural engineers will run the opposite direction...

Is there anyone looking at this type of construction in BC?

My experience in BC is engineers are afraid to touch anything that's not in some spec book.

What do Texas chemical plants have to do with lumber prices here? Serious question, not being a dick.
Engineered wood products (EWP) are important in our BC builds. OSB has been more expensive than plywood this spring because it contains more glue per sheet.

I wasn't the only one last week that told them a contractor revolt was imminent. 40% drop in commodity pricing that started more than a month ago and no change in retail???

Called for some prices today and was advised to hold off til next week if possible as another round of reductions is likely. This is lumber. Mild relief on plywood but nothing on EWP package that is part of quote.

Lumber futures are inverted, prices coming down as you move into winter and early spring. High on July futures was USD1,733 per 1,000 board feet.

1623885022413.png

Back