Lumber Prices

Helping a friend with a deck reno on a home they just purchased. Old decking is painted 2x4 cedar. Suggested he advertise it for reclaim after we removed it. Got all kinds of takers at $500. We just dropped it on the driveway for eager buyer to de-nail and haul away. Probably could have made double what we asked.

One of my friends up island has some recreation property and had a faller in to take down a couple of larger trees as they were concerned they were starting to die and could be a hazard to the buildings. One was a very large pine. They are up to their ears in firewood, so they sold them to a neighbour who has a small home mill for $500. He cut them into longs, hauled them away, helped clean up, and it never hurts to be on good terms with the neighbours.

I haven't seen retail price increases for almost 2 weeks now... but they haven't fallen either. Plywood and engineered wood are going to stay high for a while yet, until the glues and resins production problems are solved.

Guess what the truss quote came in at for my new build today? (3300’ footprint rancher)

I took a wall down for my bathroom Reno, 1970 house, I reused pretty much all the 2by4s.

There Douglass fir and weigh about 3 times as much as the new ones I bought. The only annoying part is there hard as **** to screw into. The tip of the screw does not sink into them easy so you put your screw on drill and off it falls and god damn it lol.

anyways just about everything I’ve done there’s been some COVID issue. This time Julian tile was out of everything my wife wanted. Oh it’s on some ship and won’t in till September.

so went to home depot and bought 2 dollar tile that looks the same as the stuff we’re we’re gonna buy from Julian tile for 10 bucks a square.

At work this year we have a 17% price increase on aluminum, 6 weeks until they even look at your aluminum order and process it, 15-100% increase on certain glass types, 2 months to get glass, 3-4 months to get roxul insulation. Glass suppliers are cancelling orders for glazing contractors on large projects. This shitshow just keeps rolling.

Well I just put in my usual steel order. Up 20 percent. Maybe we're also dinged on lumber to make pallets....

Looks like all materials are going up not just lumber.

Roughly what would this have cost pre-COVID?
I built a decently finished rancher 2.5 years ago. 2850sq ft is heated, overall covered area around 4000 sq with covered patios and stuff. and it was 195$ a sq roughly . From what I’ve been told the same thing right now is around 300$ a sq.

Back