looking for advice

Despy

2 years ago we did the Nootka trip and had moderate success. Last year we did the Telegraph Cove trip and it was BAD ! Couple of small 10 lb halis and some sea bass and a nice yellow eye but that was it. Also got there in time for some horrendous tides.
We are limited to one trip over from the mainland per year so really important to be in the right place at the right time.
Now I know that it is impossible to predict when and where with any accuracy but sure would be nice to have the odds in our favour.Boat is 24 ft so have reasonable access to outside as long as it isn`t too lumpy.
Nootka was last week in August and maybe a tad late. TK was first week of July but not sure I`d go back any time of year.Bad experience all around as also ran boat onto an island under 6 inches of water.[:I]:(
So , if you were in our shoes, where would you go and about what time of year would be best?
Should note that we are looking for sleeping accomodation only but must have moorage with it.
Thanks for any advice or replies.

quote:Originally posted by Despy

Nootka was last week in August and maybe a tad late. TK was first week of July but not sure I`d go back any time of year.Bad experience all around as also ran boat onto an island under 6 inches of water.[:I]:(
So , if you were in our shoes, where would you go and about what time of year would be best? Should note that we are looking for sleeping accommodation only but must have moorage with it.

On Vancouver Island?? WCVI! Period!

Now to narrow your search down, that depends on your personal preferences and the time of year you want or can go? Me, I would fish the Esperanza Inlet area and I would be prepared to run off shore as there probably be size restictions like last year. The Conuma run is pretty strong the last week of July through the middle of August and those are some really nice fish and there should be a good 4/5 year old return this year. If I was going for the first time I would stay at Rodger's Fishing Lodge. I have stayed there several times. And they do have fuel for their guests! The proximity to the fishing grounds offsets the price and you don’t have to hassle with carrying food. Make sure you take your prawn traps, leave your crab pots at home, unless you get some local information or go further south than Nootka.

If you insist on just having a nice bed to lay your head... check out Flynn’s Cove. Nice convenient location, but the good dates are all ready booked! I also know of a cabin in Nuchatlitz that you can rent which sleeps 3 and is completely self contained, but no fuel. Cost was $600 CDN per week. If interested I can give you the email address. You can make arrangements to have fuel and supplies delivered out of Westview Marina. Kathy has helped me with this in the past! Makes the package complete!

Concentrate between July 20th and August 25th, 2009!

I have stayed at a lot of places up there and my preferences would be:
Flynn’s Cove: http://www.nootka.ca/index.htm (which I have not stayed at, yet)
Rodgers: http://www.rodgersfishinglodge.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=19404 (They have gas)
Newton Cove Lodge: http://www.newtoncovelodge.com/

In Nootka:
Gold River Fish Camp: http://www.goldriverfishcamp.com/ (gas at Critter)
Hoiss Point: http://www.hoisspoint.com/ (gas at Critter)
Critter Cove: http://www.crittercove.com/

If you are interested in the Tofino/Uclulett area and are just looking for a room and moorage I recommend:
Island West Resort & Marina: http://www.islandwestresort.com/ (lodging, dock, and you can stay at the government dock, if you want)
Weighwest Marina: http://www.weighwest.com/index.html (lodging & dock)

Want to try the Bamfield area? Check these places out:
Poett Nook Marina: http://www.poettnook.com/welcome.html (middle of August should be great)
Seabeam Fishing Resort: http://www.seabeamcanada.ca/ (I have not stayed here!)

All these places are nice.

Remember, while you can catch Springs year round… the larger/main run is historically between the last week of July through mid August. Silvers start getting fat the end of August and September can be really good time for them, but the main Chinook runs are over.

Hope this was of some help! :)

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by Despy

So , if you were in our shoes, where would you go and about what time of year would be best? Should note that we are looking for sleeping accommodation only but must have moorage with it.

On Vancouver Island?? WCVI! Period!

Now to narrow your search down, that depends on your personal preferences and the time of year you want or can go? Me, I would fish the Esperanza Inlet area and I would be prepared to run off shore as there probably be size restictions like last year. The Conuma run is pretty strong the last week of July through the middle of August and those are some really nice fish and there should be a good 4/5 year old return this year. If I was going for the first time I would stay at Rodger's Fishing Lodge. I have stayed there several times. And they do have fuel for their guests! The proximity to the fishing grounds offsets the price and you don’t have to hassle with carrying food. Make sure you take your prawn traps, leave your crab pots at home, unless you get some local information or go further south than Nootka.

If you insist on just having a nice bed to lay your head... check out Flynn’s Cove. Nice convenient location, but the good dates are all ready booked! I also know of a cabin in Nuchatlitz that you can rent which sleeps 3 and is completely self contained, but no fuel. Cost was $600 CDN per week. If interested I can give you the email address. You can make arrangements to have fuel and supplies delivered out of Westview Marina. Kathy has helped me with this in the past! Makes the package complete!

Concentrate between July 20th and August 25th, 2009!

I have stayed at a lot of places up there and my preferences would be:
Flynn’s Cove: http://www.nootka.ca/index.htm (which I have not stayed at, yet)
Rodgers: http://www.rodgersfishinglodge.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=19404 (They have gas)
Newton Cove Lodge: http://www.newtoncovelodge.com/

In Nootka:
Gold River Fish Camp: http://www.goldriverfishcamp.com/ (gas at Critter)
Hoiss Point: http://www.hoisspoint.com/ (gas at Critter)
Critter Cove: http://www.crittercove.com/

If you are interested in the Tofino/Uclulett area and are just looking for a room and moorage I recommend:
Island West Resort & Marina: http://www.islandwestresort.com/ (lodging, dock, and you can stay at the government dock, if you want)
Weighwest Marina: http://www.weighwest.com/index.html (lodging & dock)

Want to try the Bamfield area? Check these places out:
Poett Nook Marina: http://www.poettnook.com/welcome.html (middle of August should be great)
Seabeam Fishing Resort: http://www.seabeamcanada.ca/ (I have not stayed here!)

All these places are nice.

Remember, while you can catch Springs year round… the larger/main run is historically between the last week of July through mid August. Silvers start getting fat the end of August and September can be really good time for them, but the main Chinook runs are over.

Hope this was of some help! :)
excellent post. thanks for the list of wcvi places to stay.

Barcley Sound.. offshore is where the action is. 3rd week in July offshore is usually very productive. Or even around CREE?

Take only what you need.

If you want Despy you can stay at our place, www.millslanding.com but we don't have very much room left for this summer. Anytime from mid-June through early September is good fishing if you have a 24ft boat and can run around.

-Millsy

I would hit Barkley mid August this year... starting around the 15th.

Never stayed at Mills Landing, but looks like a nice place, millsy! :)

BTW... cheapest gas on the WCVI last year was from a place called Ahousaht. :D

Charlie, we stay up at Flynns Cove, very nice place and the owers are great. Best value I think. Only a stone throw away from great fishing. We have been taking a shrimp pot the last couple of years but havn't had any luck at all. Where would you put it, the only thing I've heard for good shrimp is up around the fuel dock in Esperonza?

quote:Originally posted by northriverrunner

Charlie, we stay up at Flynns Cove, very nice place and the owers are great. Best value I think. Only a stone throw away from great fishing. We have been taking a shrimp pot the last couple of years but havn't had any luck at all. Where would you put it, the only thing I've heard for good shrimp is up around the fuel dock in Esperonza?

Flynns Cove "Best value I think", I have to agree, unless you want to rent the cabin I found (but it only sleeps three).

All the good prawning is in Hacate Channel around McBride Bay. Across from the fuel dock and on the northend in McBride Bay is usually excellent. If you drop your pots for a 2/3 hours (on the way for fuel) you might have a pleasant surprise when you pull them.

See Sushihunter's youtube video! :)

As far as shrimp... anywhere around Centre Island, but, that is all you will get "shrimp", not very many prawns there!

Critter Cove is a great large capacity facility accessed by boat after launching in Gold River with excellent hosts that is located on the 50 yard line if one fishes the inside, and the 20 yard line if one fishes outside in bigger water. Since the wind often starts in the afternoon, one can find decent spots to fish all afternoon until dusk.

Flynn's Cove and Roger's are accessed by boat after launching in Gold River or Tahsis, and are very close to the outside, and offer great opportunities for outside highway fishing if there is no size limitation inside like in 2008. If inside is ok, one cannot beat Ferrier. Because of the wind issue, there is not many places for afternoon/evening fishing. Anne who runs Flynn's is very hospitable and offers a good value for the money, yet I think there is only 3-4 cabins now. Plentiful shrimp right out in front of her place.

Tahsis means a long run to where one can catch fish, but offers the amenities of a town, and you can trailer their, though bigger boats might not want to.

Good luck fishing.

DAJ

I concur with all the positive comments regarding Critter Cove.I stayed there last year in early July and found it exceptional. The people are great/helpful. The restaurant food is as good as anything you'll find in any large city, maybe better. They have not only fuel, but, many other needs like ice, gear and plenty of bait. We found the run out to Friendly Cove about 20-25 minutes or so. Hois Point was 5 minutes away which is great in the evening to fish till sundown and maximize your time on the water. Hois we found was very calm in the evening and quite productive for Springs. I don't think last year was the most productive year based on stories I've heard about Nootka, but, compared to Sooke in the summer of 08, it was decent.

pescador

Okay here is my logic and maybe some of my secrets about the Nootka Island areas.

And I quote,
“S*xually maturing WCVI Chinook migrate to their streams of origin in late summer and fall. The peak of migration into the terminal WCVI areas is usually late August. However, a few populations, such as the Conuma River stock, run about three weeks earlier. Spawning peaks in late September to mid-October. Timing of peak spawn varies by as much as a week or two depending on water conditions and the migration rate into the river. “

“WCVI Chinook migrate northward into northern B.C. and southeastern Alaska waters to rear for two to seven years. As they become s*xually mature they migrate south to their natal rivers and streams. On average, 2 or 3 per cent mature and head south at age two, another 15 per cent mature at age three, 55 per cent at age four, and 25 per cent at age five. Less than 2 per cent are left to mature at age six. Male Chinook generally mature earlier than female Chinook. Typically, none of the mature two-year-old Chinook are female, while only 5 per cent of mature three-year-olds are female. Fifty per cent of mature four-year-olds are female, as are about 75 per cent of mature five-year-olds.”

So, in the Nootka Island area you should be targeting the Conuma Run. The Conuma River Hatchery released the following Chinook:
2,453,213 in 2003 (6 year olds) 02% of return
2,740,887 in 2004 (5 year olds) 25% of return
2,274,489 in 2005 (4 year olds) 55% of return
1,863,390 in 2006 (3 year olds) 15% of return

These fish start showing up from the last week of July (hence the July 15th closure at Ferrer to protect the Conuma 4/5 year olds) through the third week of August. Since the run has been running a little late the last couple of years and based on predicted tides, I am thinking the main run will hit Tlupana Inlet the 2nd week of August especially around the 14th/15th of August. And, since the Conuma River is at the head of Tlupana Inlet (which is where Critter Cove, Gold River Fish Camp, Hoiss Point and all the others are located), the fishing should be really good during this time frame, especially with the commercial fleet being cut by 30% this year! I also know the fish favor Hoiss Point and the “Wall” side of the inlet… that is where I would be concentrating. If you are early head out to Maquina Pt and Bojo Reef. There can be some really good fishing there!

Now if you’re staying in Esperanza, most of the Conuma fish (especially the 4/5 year olds) coming through the north end of Nootka like to hold at Ferrer down the shoreline to Frank Rocks and also over at Pin Rock. These are the areas I would be, if there is no size restriction. But, there will be! So, you need to plan to fish offshore, the “Highway”. The offshore fishery is mainly fish headed south to the tune of about 75% are actually headed to the U.S. It is a consistent fishery, but you are talking about running about 10 miles offshore. But, part of these fish is also the Conuma’s peeling off and turning into Esperanza and Nootka Sound. There are also at lot of fish that will be returning to Nitinat, Robertson, and the Frazer.

And I quote,
“Most of the larger populations can depend on some form of enhancement to complement natural spawning. Enhancement facilities include small, volunteer projects such as those on the Marble, Zeballos, Tahsis, Leiner, Gold, Burman, Tranquil and Cypre rivers. Other federally-funded community development projects exist on the Marble, San Juan, and Kennedy rivers, and at Thornton Creek. In addition, there are three major hatcheries located on the Stamp, Nitinat and Conuma rivers. These major facilities have also enhanced Chinook populations in surrounding systems, such as the Sarita, Nahmint, Tlupana and Toquart rivers, and, through close proximity and straying, in systems such as Canton Creek and Sucwoa River near the Conuma River.”

Okay, maybe I am long winded, but this might help you get the edge you are looking for. :D

Charlie

quote:Originally posted by holmes

holy crap charlie that is a wealth of info....nice:)

Oh, I quess I should have added... I have never had anything but good food at Criter Cove! :)

Many thanks !! Definitely a wealth of info there and even though the fishing wasn`t that good at end of august, I am starting to think a return trip to Nootka is our best bet only a couple of weeks earlier this year. Did really like the area and now we at least, having been there,know of all the spots being mentioned and have fished a lot of them.
We actually had our best luck either straight across the sound from Friendly Cove ( the name was somelike like birchwood but not sure of name) or in that little bay by the rock straight across from hoiss point. Tried the wall a few times but caught nothing along there.
Did experience something new to me when there though. In a lot of areas we fished, the 100 foot deep contours is where we saw the most activity on our sounder. Fish were still in the 40-60 foot level but for some reason they seemed to stay mostly along that depth of water when they entered the sound. Of course the "birchwood" ? side, it was different as this is where the majority of fish were being caught and it`s only about 50 feet deep on the average along there.
Thanks again for the replies.

Okay, since you are thinking of the Nootka area here is something I wrote a few years back with a couple of changes that you might find of interest.

<center>Westcoast fishing tips!</center>

It’s not all that hard to catch a large salmon, regardless of method on the West Coast; all you have to do is find the fish. Sometimes that’s the hard part! Once you find the fish here are some tips that will help you catch them.

On the West coast of Vancouver Island between Cape Beal and Tofino the offshore banks can be very productive. Trolling on bottom and letting your downrigger ball bounce occasionally will help you attract both salmon and halibut. But, the July/August Chinook and Coho run isn’t a “drag-your-lure-on-the-bottom” fishery while you are close to shore, especially in the Nootka Island area. The fish will often suspend and you will be able to spot both fish and bait with your sounder. Target your downrigger fishing to this depth about five feet or less above the fish or the bottom of the bait ball. When you get close to those rocks and kelp beds try setting your downrigger to 32 feet or less. Do not be surprised if there is absolutely nothing showing on your sounder when a Chinook hits, especially close to kelp beds and rocks! Also, look for structure. When you go over a structure into a hole try dropping your downrigger ball to the bottom popping your line off and letting it drift for a second then use a couple of slow jerks.

Most often you need to fish no deeper than twenty seven to thirty-five feet below the surface. The amount of line you have behind the downrigger does relate to the depth you should fish. The more line the larger the loop on your bait! Off Ferrer, I always… always… always… start at 32 feet deep and 25 pulls behind my downrigger in 80 feet of water. I also use a “Hotspot” flasher which puts a large loop to the line which puts the bait between 27 – 37 feet deep. You can mooch and jig the surf lines quite close to shore, but I am a troller. I look for back eddies (holes) the fish will hold up in and try to stay close to the edges of kelp beds and the scum/foam tide line for the really big Chinook. Coho also like to feed along the edges of the kelp beds. If either is there that is where you will find me, lots of fish will hold in the holes and follow the tide lines. If you want some Coho action, try running a lure on the surface about 100 ft back in the center line of your boat. Be watchful! As you throw your boat in neutral to bring in the Coho that you will catch, you will probably get a strike on your downriggers by a Chinook!

Most guides use the tried and true method of a Hot Spot flasher trolling a herring or anchovy fifty-five to seventy inches back on the leader. I personally like to troll an anchovy in a green anchovy special head or a crippled anchovy head, behind a green 11” Hot Spot flasher with about 8/10 ft of leader. There is an old saying… “You can use any color of flasher you want, as long as it’s green!” But, sometimes I do use red or blue. The hook is now a #1 Owner Treble Hook; they are super strong, great holding with ultra-sharp points. If you can’t use treble try a 3/0 barbless. If you are getting strikes but not hooking the fish attach a trailing hook with the trailing hook an inch or two behind the bait. Using barbless hooks means you don't have to set the hook near as hard to drive a barb into a fish. Keep your line tight on the retrieve! Added benefit of Barbless Hooks: If you sit on one, it hurts but it also comes out without the need of a doctor or your rusty (but still good) needle nose pliers. I started with 2/0 hooks and worked my way down to a #2 hook and that is what I used, until a couple of years ago, until I had a little problem with the hooks straightening and breaking, so I went to a size larger! The leader should be at least 25 to 30 pound test, some use heavier, but I find 30 pound test to be more than heavy enough! I can’t tell you how many leaders I have broken over the years using a lighter line. Remember, we are talking about fish that hit like freight trains! I set the drag as loose as I can, just barely tight enough to hold the pole tip down in the downrigger and not feed out line. Once the fish hits I do tighten the drag a little, but beware if you over tighten that drag you will lose a big fish! Most of the time a fish will set the hook itself when it hits and there is no doubt a fish is on, but keep an eye on the end of your pole a lot of time you will only see a small tap and you’ll need to grab that pole. Pop it off and let the bait settle for a couple of seconds, then set the hook.

The Chinook gear I use consists of three Cannon Mag 20 downriggers and three Lamiglass 8½ ft rods. The reels are all Penn 320’s with Maximum 25 lb test monofilament line. A number of lures will work for Chinook and Coho. Even though I prefer anchovies, artificial lures do work exceptionally well and some of them you might want to have in your tackle box include:
  • The Silver Horde Coho killer, an especially deadly lure trolling for Coho. Army truck and glow colors are both excellent to use.
  • The Sonic Edge spoon in copper/watermelon color #323 works well both behind a Hot Spot flasher or trolled by itself. Fish this lure in the top sixty feet of water. Also, good trolling for Coho.
  • The #4 Kingfisher spoon in Cop Car color #911 is a great spoon to fish either behind a flasher or by itself.

When we first started fishing these areas, my boat was one of the few boats from Washington. The first year I fished Esperanza I was the only WA boat and… only one of 4/5 boats fishing. We used to run for miles not often see other boats (probably due to the fog). Not many people knew of Ferrer Point and many a day I was the only boat there! It was the best kept secret for years! Unfortunately, it is not a secret anymore! FYI, Westview Marina along with Critter Cove was just starting up (1995), when we first started fishing the area. Rodgers Fish Camp was located on the Campbell River side and moved to Zebellos in 1996, due to the Campbell River fishery collapsing and stopped producing fish.

Soon all the pristine fishing will be much over crowded and the beauty I love gone!

Great stuff Charlie. I also am interested in the data and really hope for a strong season in Nootka Sound in 2009 since my season in 2008 was spotty, but thats fishing.

I gathered from your post your major reason for optimism is because the fry released 4 years earlier (2005) was a big number (2,274,489). If that is the basis of optimism, then the 2008 should have been a killer year because a greater number of fry (2,740,887)were release 4 years earlier (2004). Are there other stats you or others on the forum have seen showing the good ocean survival of the jack salmon that returned early in 2007 and 2008, which can translate into optimism for 2009? Many of us have likely heard about "upwelling" and favorable ocean conditions for the salmon food chain that reportedly improved in 2008, so when can we expect to see that factor translate into improved fishing? If anyone can get a forecast from stock assessment, please share with the forum. thanks. DAJ[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dance a jig

Great stuff Charlie. I also am interested in the data and really hope for a strong season in Nootka Sound in 2009 since my season in 2008 was spotty, but thats fishing.

I gathered from your post your major reason for optimism is because the fry released 4 years earlier (2005) was a big number (2,274,489). If that is the basis of optimism, then the 2008 should have been a killer year because a greater number of fry (2,740,887)were release 4 years earlier (2004). Are there other stats you or others on the forum have seen showing the good ocean survival of the jack salmon that returned early in 2007 and 2008, which can translate into optimism for 2009? Many of us have likely heard about "upwelling" and favorable ocean conditions for the salmon food chain that reportedly improved in 2008, so when can we expect to see that factor translate into improved fishing? If anyone can get a forecast from stock assessment, please share with the forum. thanks. DAJ[8D]
The 2005 migration was a lot better than the one in 2004! :)

If they don’t make it out to the ocean… they can’t make it back! Here is what happened to the 4 year old fish that were supposed to return in 2008! :(

The Stocks (2004)
The 2004 brood year Run experienced extreme migratory conditions in the Rivers (record low flows and record high water temperatures) that impacted migration and survival in the whole watershed system. In addition, a portion of the Chilko Run (in the Frazer watershed) experienced a major landslide that completely blocked the Chilcotin River for a period of 14 hours during the 2004 migration, further impacting the survival of the Chilko River Run. The 2004 escapement was the second lowest escapement on this cycle since comprehensive surveys began in 1940.

Oh, BTW! The the commercial boys in Alaska's reduction of 15% and WCVI's reduction of 30% will improve the 2009 fishing along the whole westcoast!

Back