Looking for a boat downriggers fish finder like a Turn key boat I am not ritch like most on here just want a good reliable boat to go out and fish

Looking for a cheap running boat ready to fish

There is no such thing. Whatever you do don't get an inboard boat. Look for a later 17ft boat with older outboard.

And your going need at least 2k for safety gear and electronics etc if it doesn't come with it.

Beware of rotten floors and unmaintained motors.

Last edited:
bring beer offer to clean after the end of the day and find a good mate who has a boat that's the cheapest way .... and go half's at least for fuel
If someone else is supplying the boat, truck, gear, doing all the maintenance and paying insurance, offering half fuel is a kick in the balls. Don't kick the boat owner in the balls. Buy all the fuel for the truck and boat, bring Subway and hop to like you are the owner of a business and this is your job, clean up the fish mess, get ready to dock the boat, be a good hand.

There is no such thing. Whatever you do don't get an inboard boat. Look for a later 17ft boat with older outboard.

And your going need at least 2k for safety gear and electronics etc if it doesn't come with it.

Beware of rotten floors and unmaintained motors.
lol oh really? Outboards are not bulletproof, neither are transoms on outboard boats. All my last boats have been inboards, would not have an outboard anymore

lol oh really? Outboards are not bulletproof, neither are transoms on outboard boats. All my last boats have been inboards, would no have an outboard anymore

LOL. Look on forum the last of us inboard guys podded are boats. Why do think that was? For fun?

I ran an 3.0 merc inboard for 11 years straight. It was unreliable and expensive. When it worked it was great. So yes I would recommend an outboard for such as small budget. You are also asking for a cheap boat which means most likely an inboard if you go that route with a tired one that is going to be a money pit.

Anyways carry on.

LOL. Look on forum the last of us inboard guys podded are boats. Why do think that was? For fun?

I ran an 3.0 merc inboard for 11 years straight. It was unreliable and expensive. When it worked it was great. So yes I would recommend an outboard for such as small budget. You are also asking for a cheap boat which means most likely an inboard if you go that route with a tired one that is going to be a money pit.

Anyways carry on.
LOL most of the outboard guys seem to think they have something rare, special, worth huge money because it is an outboard. Podding is so hit and miss, when they do not work the shop will take no blame, and no engine is infallible. All boats can be money pits, what would make an outboard not be tired? Ever replace a outboard powerhead vs inboard? Yes 3.0 is junk, as are a hundred other outboards I can name. Like you said carry on.

LOL most of the outboard guys seem to think they have something rare, special, worth huge money because it is an outboard. Podding is so hit and miss, when they do not work the shop will take no blame, and no engine is infallible. All boats can be money pits, what would make an outboard not be tired? Ever replace a outboard powerhead vs inboard? Yes 3.0 is junk, as are a hundred other outboards I can name. Like you said carry on.

Omg lololol.

LOL most of the outboard guys seem to think they have something rare, special, worth huge money because it is an outboard. Podding is so hit and miss, when they do not work the shop will take no blame, and no engine is infallible. All boats can be money pits, what would make an outboard not be tired? Ever replace an outboard powerhead vs inboard? Yes 3.0 is junk, as are a hundred other outboards I can name. Like you said carry on.
I thought @wolf was the last of your kind lol
I owned an inboard for 3 weeks once replacing with a 300 suzuki was the best thing that happened to that boat

LOL most of the outboard guys seem to think they have something rare, special, worth huge money because it is an outboard. Podding is so hit and miss, when they do not work the shop will take no blame, and no engine is infallible. All boats can be money pits, what would make an outboard not be tired? Ever replace an outboard powerhead vs inboard? Yes 3.0 is junk, as are a hundred other outboards I can name. Like you said carry on.

I’ve owned both. I wouldn’t say most outboard guys think that. I’d say most outboard guys KNOW outboards require less maintenance than inboards and if it came down to it you can swap over an outboard in about an hour and a half with common tools and basic mechanical skills. It’s possible it could be done in about the same amount of time it takes you to winterize your inboard. Overall, outboards have less going on in a cleaner easier to reach package so maintenance is easier. The number 1 reason to go with outboards? When it dies, swap it out in a half day or less and get back on the water. Inboard guys can spend a half a day just looking for someone whos willing to work on another boat anchor. And yes, get the math on your pod wrong and it’s a downer but so is going back to the shop over and over chasing gremlins in your inboard. Choice is yours but there’s a reason so many convert to outboards on pods and it isn’t because an inboard is cheap or easy to repair.

Last edited:
I’ve owned both. I wouldn’t say most outboard guys think that. I’d say most outboard guys KNOW outboards require less maintenance than inboards and if it came down to it you can swap over an outboard in about an hour and a half with common tools and basic mechanical skills. It’s possible it could be done in about the same amount of time it takes you to winterize your inboard. Overall, outboards have less going on in a cleaner easier to reach package so maintenance is easier. The number 1 reason to go with outboards? When it dies, swap it out in a half day or less and get back on the water. Inboard guys can spend a half a day just looking for someone whos willing work on another boat anchor. And yes, get the math on your pod wrong and it’s a downer but so is going back to the shop over and over chasing gremlins in your inboard. Choice is yours but there’s a reason so many convert to outboards on pods and it isn’t because an inboard is cheap or easy to repair.
I have also owned both, and do all my own work. Nothing is cheap anymore.

I’ve owned both. I wouldn’t say most outboard guys think that. I’d say most outboard guys KNOW outboards require less maintenance than inboards and if it came down to it you can swap over an outboard in about an hour and a half with common tools and basic mechanical skills. It’s possible it could be done in about the same amount of time it takes you to winterize your inboard. Overall, outboards have less going on in a cleaner easier to reach package so maintenance is easier. The number 1 reason to go with outboards? When it dies, swap it out in a half day or less and get back on the water. Inboard guys can spend a half a day just looking for someone whos willing work on another boat anchor. And yes, get the math on your pod wrong and it’s a downer but so is going back to the shop over and over chasing gremlins in your inboard. Choice is yours but there’s a reason so many convert to outboards on pods and it isn’t because an inboard is cheap or easy to repair.
Hit the nail on the head there.

The new boat market sure has swung back to outboard in a big way. Builders like the ability to offer customers good, better, best price points where they just bolt on the selected power, and pontoons have exploded in popularity - not an application for I/O. Although not applicable to the OP's search, but there's a whole new class of big centre consoles for offshore fishing in the American southeast that only exists because of the advent of huge 450 and 600 hp outboards. Hulls that big need more power than can fit in I/O configuration, and the mega rich owners want to repower every 300 hours anyway.

I was a die hard inboard guy for over 20 years but VOLVO PENTA is a **** company to deal with and I would NEVER sugggest anyone to use them they lie and dont back up there product.
I did a ALOT of homework and used a VERY good guy in pod as he has built alot of them, I trusted him and couldnt be happier.
Back to the subject nothing is cheap and there is alot of junk out there used be careful

I was a die hard inboard guy for over 20 years but VOLVO PENTA is a **** company to deal with and I would NEVER sugggest anyone to use them they lie and dont back up there product.
I did a ALOT of homework and used a VERY good guy in pod as he has built alot of them, I trusted him and couldnt be happier.
Back to the subject nothing is cheap and there is alot of junk out there used be careful
you got upgraded to junk, if you had the 383 you would still be a inboard guy. lol

I am going back to I/o anybody want to poke an 10” oval hole in my transom please , ya right I just gave myself a slap in the head lol, boats are not cheap

I have never owned an inboard, however I would. But it would have to be a 6BT with a shaft.

I thought @wolf was the last of your kind lol
I owned an inboard for 3 weeks once replacing with a 300 suzuki was the best thing that happened to that boat
I would hope that replacing an old tired I/O motor with a $45,000 replacement would be the best thing that happened to your boat.

I would hope that replacing an old tired I/O motor with a $45,000 replacement would be the best thing that happened to your boat.
Makes me less happy when you word it like that hahaha but none the less no complaints

Back