Looking for a boat downriggers fish finder like a Turn key boat I am not ritch like most on here just want a good reliable boat to go out and fish

F$#k I/Os. They can eat s#$t and die. They don't belong in the chuck and have no business pushing big boats. And they're annyong to fix on a smaller boat. Inboard with shafts, maybe in a 40+ with a legit engine room. This isn't even a conversation worth having. I hate you all.

PS, my accountant just gave me my annual boating total for 2022. Maybe I'm triggered. ;):mad:
No this is a completely rational statement, I don’t understand the defence of them. Diesels I understand for bigger boats with shafts, but gassers don’t make any sense, the amount of wiring and electrical required means there’s just so much more to go wrong. Don’t get me started with trying to wrench on one in a tiny engine bay. The space gain from an outboard, the noise reduction, the increased reliability and long term life of the engine are all reasons I’m podding. I understand that iOS can go for 4-5k hours but at that point not a single thing on them is original, whereas modern fourstrokes seem to be able to reach that with just regular maintenance.

No this is a completely rational statement, I don’t understand the defence of them. Diesels I understand for bigger boats with shafts, but gassers don’t make any sense, the amount of wiring and electrical required means there’s just so much more to go wrong. Don’t get me started with trying to wrench on one in a tiny engine bay. The space gain from an outboard, the noise reduction, the increased reliability and long term life of the engine are all reasons I’m podding. I understand that iOS can go for 4-5k hours but at that point not a single thing on them is original, whereas modern fourstrokes seem to be able to reach that with just regular maintenance.
Why pod then? Why not just buy a boat built for an outboard?
You're going to spend 50K anyway podding, buying an engine and plumbing.

Why pod then? Why not just buy a boat built for an outboard?
You're going to spend 50K anyway podding, buying an engine and plumbing.
Yeah there’s an argument there, and it’s not totally off the table. But for what I want, and what I will be all in to this boat after podding, nothing on the market compares. If I tried to spend that 50k on something else it would have used power with a few hundred hours at least. So the podding route I get brand new power and electrical, worry free boating (well, worry free as it gets). Not to mention that I really love the ride of my monaro, and the layout is perfect for me, family and fishing combo boat. If I saw my boat podded come up for sale, I would want it so bad, that’s my rationale.

Yeah there’s an argument there, and it’s not totally off the table. But for what I want, and what I will be all in to this boat after podding, nothing on the market compares. If I tried to spend that 50k on something else it would have used power with a few hundred hours at least. So the podding route I get brand new power and electrical, worry free boating (well, worry free as it gets). Not to mention that I really love the ride of my monaro, and the layout is perfect for me, family and fishing combo boat. If I saw my boat podded come up for sale, I would want it so bad, that’s my rationale.
X2. To a tee.

There must be some truth to the higher usage that a sports fisherman puts on their boat with inboard outboard power versus years ago to the casual user. I have owned and know so many people that have had inboard outboard powered boats, and have ran them for years, and just had to maintain them, pull the leg occasionally for servicing, replace the manifolds on a semi regular cycle. Closed cooling and raw water versions.

I’m not advocating that they are the way to go obviously, but there are also success stories out there.

Yeah I am not defending them anymore after 12 years. Garbage. Did my time and paid my dues. Also am very mechanically inclined doing a lot of the work myself. Always fiddling with them and spending thousands to keep it going.

inboards are alive and well
Always the mechanic defending them 🤣 ;)

F$#k I/Os. They can eat s#$t and die. They don't belong in the chuck and have no business pushing big boats. And they're annyong to fix on a smaller boat. Inboard with shafts, maybe in a 40+ with a legit engine room. This isn't even a conversation worth having. I hate you all.

PS, my accountant just gave me my annual boating total for 2022. Maybe I'm triggered. ;):mad:
I’m sure you knew it was going to be bad

There are reasons most older boats are inboards. Engine cost. Repair availability. The amount of stress on an outboard transom is 10 times that of an inboard, if an outboard transom fails it can be fast and catastrophic. Inboard transoms get flexible and leak long before failure. Not many inboard transom fails on the internet but a few outboard transom fails.

A mercruiser inboard has had, for the most part, 80+ years of ironing out the bugs with the same design. The old saying, if ain't broke don't fix it. They just refined.

An inboard is essentially a car engine and most use a GM type engine. If purchasing stick with a common engine, not one designed for a boat. An inline 3.0 engine was not used in cars very long due to issues whereas since 1955 GM has basically the same designed V8's

The old legs, Alpha still I think, have issues. But the newer Bravos' are almost bulletproof. They shift differently too, the older engines needed a cutoff switch when shifting. A momentary engine cutoff to take pressure off the lower gears to make the changes. These were often an area of problems.

Newer exhaust manifolds with full fresh water closed cooling systems need almost no winterizing and don't crack as much as they used to.

I also like the lower center of gravity adding to stability and less porpoising, a draw back is sometimes the engines are placed under the deck to make more room and freeboard is farther from the water.

A leg can be re and re in 1 hour or less and engine can be done in similar time, maybe a little longer if the wiring package isn't on the engine, there are 4 bolts holding it in, hire a tow truck to come and do the lift if necessary.

A 300 hp Yamaha costs; F300. MSRP $36,611.00 - $43,628.00
5.7L Mercruiser 350 GEN+ 325 hp Marine Crate Engine - LIST PRICE: $6,607.94 TODAY'S SALE PRICE: $5,913.54
Mercruiser Bravo 2 drive - $14,507.56 Cdn But Bravo 1 and 3 both will fit.
Alpha 1 Gen 2 - $5247

Brand new inboard and stern drive around $21,000.00, outboard, $36,00.00 a difference of 15K, that's a lot of gas and enough for another brand new engine or complete rebuilds years down the road.

Inboard shifting issues and the leg gets changed, engine ditto, an outboard the whole unit needs to be worked and then the wait time for parts.

Also the inboard transom hasn't had all that stress of 300+ hp pushing on it or holding up that weight of the engine that an outboard does. The engine sits on the bottom of the hull stringers spreading out the stress of weight and propulsion. Think of how a lever works and then think of how an outboard sits of the rear transom, that's a lot of stress.

Interchangeability, costs and availability.

Outboard engines are becoming much more reliable, powerful and economic than in the past but are still unique to everything else, interchangeability issues causing added costs.

No matter how you go, just look at the number of older outboards available vs the number of older inboards.

20' cuddy cabin, 5.7 liter, bravo leg preferred but alpha for under 20K. Lots out there.

Where you going with it, how many on board, towing, storage, a little mechanically inclined?
Wow good info
Going around Vancouver just me and another guy I can fix some stuff

If someone else is supplying the boat, truck, gear, doing all the maintenance and paying insurance, offering half fuel is a kick in the balls. Don't kick the boat owner in the balls. Buy all the fuel for the truck and boat,
YES I had a "freind" that said what do you think is fair??? I said it costs over 200 bucks just to turn the key each day. WOW ok and he gave me 20 bucks and took half the fish , needless to say he was never asked back

The question is does your wife know how much ???and yes inboards s…. Maybe I was just unlucky with the 6 gas ones and the one diesel but the odds are not in my favour that’s for sure

They pay your bills, instead of draining others bank account lol, my mechanic years ago who was doing the work that was beyond me , told me inboards where the best thing on earth, they kept his shop busy year round, he is retired now and living the good life

The only inboards that last are the ones that stay in fresh water imo, rinse and well taking care off, no so much for the salty

Klysons said:
If someone else is supplying the boat, truck, gear, doing all the maintenance and paying insurance, offering half fuel is a kick in the balls. Don't kick the boat owner in the balls. Buy all the fuel for the truck and boat, bring Subway and hop to like you are the owner of a business and this is your job, clean up the fish mess, get ready to dock the boat, be a good hand.

This is how you get invited back. All my regular fishing partners have owned boats at one time (or still do ) and do this without prompting

I don't like going on other people's boats hahaha. Sometimes people irritate me in water the way they do things lolol.

I don't take it personally if someone doesn't help me out with costs/helping etc. Usually was going out anyway. If it's offered that is cool.

Last edited:
Back