Line length

Some of these look like they would work........especially if a guy had outriggers on his boat in conjunction with his downriggers.

Some indeed very much look like they should work. So much so that I've drug a decent handful I know work well on lakers to the boat, and so much so my trolling Partner (with > 40 years experience on this coast) snatched up a good handful when over in Hawaii to try. We tried them, repeatedly, as we honestly believed they SHOULD work. Long story short, they didn't. At least not nearly as well as Tomic's products do. I do think they (especially some of the saltwater series) would SMASH tuna!

Cheers,
Nog

Some indeed very much look like they should work. So much so that I've drug a decent handful I know work well on lakers to the boat, and so much so my trolling Partner (with > 40 years experience on this coast) snatched up a good handful when over in Hawaii to try. We tried them, repeatedly, as we honestly believed they SHOULD work. Long story short, they didn't. At least not nearly as well as Tomic's products do. I do think they (especially some of the saltwater series) would SMASH tuna!

Cheers,
Nog

I was thinking the same thing last year and bought a Rapala X-Rap Magnum in the largest size. It was the Pilchard pattern and it looks like a killer. It was, the Coho wouldn't leave it alone. I was trying to run it off a rigger to get it deeper but couldn't usually even get it clipped into the release without a big Coho hitting it on the surface behind the boat. I honestly didn't give it too much of a try because I wasn't after Coho. I never caught a spring with it but I agree with you Nog, they sure look like they should work. Clearly you've tried and tested them without great success and that's enough to deter me from giving it much fishing time in the future.

Thank You Sir !!

I notice most guys use the typical Tomic style plugs, but never hear or see people trying the deep diving crank style baits. Largs ones with the big lips that dive to about 30' or so.

I've tried this once or twice for fun with rapalas... caught a mid teen spring on a x-rap behind a flasher lol;). Ive seen them work for surface coho's on a fishing show before as well.

Cheers,
Nog

I'm heading down to Costa Rica in three weeks. Might just have to bring some down and give em a go.....

Craig

You got one wrong Charlie. You got the loop size right, closer to the pin the smaller the circle the flasher will turn, farther back the larger the circle. If the boat speed is the same for both....ie on one side a setup with a short tail to the flasher and on the other side and a long tail.... the flasher on the close set up will turn faster....there is no way the one turning the bigger circle can turn as fast going the same speed....same applies in Nascar!!! ;) The car up top has to go faster as it is going the longer way around. That means that the flasher set closer will pulse the bait or lure more often than the other. Everything else you said about leaders is bang on.

A better way to illustrate this is...a lure trolled behind a flasher has three components to its movement. #1. the movement from the lure or bait itself...for bait that would be the roll. 2. The speed at which the bait pulses/darts from the rotation of the flasher. 3. the size of the pulse/darting to the side...which can be increased or decreased by how close or far behind the flasher the lure or bait is.
For #2 the rate of pulsing is changed by speed...either the boat speeding up or slowing down...or by the flasher alone speeding up or slowing down.

flaher action

Hi thanks pro fisher got me a thinking here

excuse the next question but it may or not be daft

why does every one ----fish the swivel on the rear of the flasher

if the hoochie leader was tied directly the the eyelet of the flasher(by-passing the swivel) then a lot more action would be imparted on it surely???? thus would also rotate the hoochie action as well along with the hook ????

anyone fished it this way?

may not work for bait but for hoochies

You can tie direct to the flasher's swivel or to a quick change for hootchies and spoons. For bait the extra BB swivels prevents line twist from the bait rolling.

@wildthing,

If you use flashers or dodgers that have ball bearing swivels on the butt end, there is no need for extra swivels. I simply tie or crimp to a Hawaiian or Berkley snap in order to get quick change over between lures with pre rigged leaders attached.

DHA.

I never mix spoons with plugs (or anything with plugs for that matter). The spoons will generally spin rather than wobble at the speeds I employ for plugs, while conversely, the plugs simply will not produce as well at the slower spoon speed.

Why not use Tubby's so you can get the desired action at a slower speeds that might work with other gear?

Why not use Tubby's so you can get the desired action at a slower speeds that might work with other gear?

Personal preference I guess...

When I run spoons and dummy flashers, even with the larger spoons I know I will generally catch more of what's about. But that often includes a fair number of the smaller fish. Good for LOTS of Action, and for many, that's what it's all about.

When I drop the plugs, I am generally hunting Biggies. The larger plugs tend to reduce the number we have to shake. And I just happen to LOVE that bone-jarring HAMMER of a take at speed on those plugs. :D

Never really felt the need to mix the two... Each has it's place IMHO.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Cheers,
Nog

I have always been told to tie the line directly to the plug for the best action but some on this thread suggest otherwise. I have not been big on plugs for last few years. May have to contact Tomic. I still have a Lucky Louie in my tackle box

If you want to troll slower then cutting off the ring will give you more wiggle action at those speeds.

You got one wrong Charlie. You got the loop size right, closer to the pin the smaller the circle the flasher will turn, farther back the larger the circle.

x2 - especially for sockeye. Distance back without any doubt affects the rotation of the flasher and subsequently the action. Yes, leader length plays a difference but in some cases the action you require to catch fish like sockeye depends on correct speed, action etc. Come down the inlet a bit and fish sockeye and give it a try, you will be amazed at the difference.

You got one wrong Charlie. You got the loop size right, closer to the pin the smaller the circle the flasher will turn, farther back the larger the circle. If the boat speed is the same for both....ie on one side a setup with a short tail to the flasher and on the other side and a long tail.... the flasher on the close set up will turn faster....there is no way the one turning the bigger circle can turn as fast going the same speed....same applies in Nascar!!! The car up top has to go faster as it is going the longer way around. That means that the flasher set closer will pulse the bait or lure more often than the other. Everything else you said about leaders is bang on.

Hey, Rollie, I re-read the post and can’t find exactly what I got wrong, however, it may have not been clear enough, eh? :)

A better way to illustrate this is...a lure trolled behind a flasher has three components to its movement.#1. the movement from the lure or bait itself...for bait that would be the roll. 2. The speed at which the bait pulses/darts from the rotation of the flasher. 3. the size of the pulse/darting to the side...which can be increased or decreased by how close or far behind the flasher the lure or bait is.
For #2 the rate of pulsing is changed by speed...either the boat speeding up or slowing down...or by the flasher alone speeding up or slowing down.

In my statement, I was referring to and ONLY referring to the action of the flasher, itself. You are actually referring to the action the flasher puts on the bait – That is two different things!

I thought your second post clarified somewhat better, as you specifically stated “lure” and described how a flasher inputs the action to the lure, which it does... but since you got a X2, maybe a little more clarification is needed? Not sure how many are using six-ten foot leaders between the flasher and bait while Sockeye trolling. If anyone is doing that, not saying that won’t work, but you might want to rethink leader length? :confused:

The action a flasher puts on the bait is very much controlled by leader length between the flasher and the bait – not the drop back. Long leader = less flasher input to bait. Shorter leader = more action input by flasher to bait. Of course, when using shorter leaders the action of the bait will change, that is exactly what it is designed to do. Want to actually see flasher action can completely destroy the anchovy’s roll action? Stick that anchovy on 42” inch leader, on a downrigger with a 3’ drop back and send it down 10’ and watch! Now take it and put it on a 10’ leader and do the same thing… I guarantee you will see a difference in the action of that bait!

Now at some point, long enough leader = equals no input from the flasher to bait; however, as you are watching the above you will note that erratic action created by the flasher does make the bait change direction, so while flasher may or may not be inputting any action to the bait, it sure is changing the presentation.

Maybe this will help clarify, directly from Hot Spot’s website:

“A Hot Spot Flasher does three things: First, it creates vibration that attracts fish to your gear. Second, it provides a visual target or stimulus to predator fish. Third, it imparts an action to a lure or bait that doesn't have an action of it's own.”

Lures… “Any lure except 5" and larger shovel nose plugs. Plugs create so much drag they would inhibit the Hot Spot action. For lures that have an action of their own, such as an Apex, allow enough leader length that the lure's action is not inhibited by the flasher.”

“The Hot Spot Flasher will perform well in a variety of setups. The key decisions a fisherman needs to make are: 1) The leader length between the downrigger release and the flasher. 2) The tail length between the flasher and the hoochie or bait behind the flasher. 3) The weight of the leader to use. 4) Which bait, lure or hoochie to use behind the flasher.”

“The ideal leader or "tail" length behind the flasher varies by the type of fish desired and by the lure used behind the flasher. When trolling slowly and fishing for smaller Salmon, use the shorter dimensions. When trolling quickly and for larger Salmon, use the longer lengths.”

“The Hot Spot lets you vary leader and tail lengths to achieve a variety of results. Recently, many fishermen have used front leader lengths as short as three feet with excellent results.
Often, two flashers can be fished together at slightly different depths to enhance their attractiveness. The diagram shows one setup in which a bottom flasher is run up the downrigger wire with a longer leader. If you are fishing close to the bottom with two flashers, it is very productive to use a Mini flasher on the bottom, tied about four feet back with an Original 11" flasher six to eight feet up the downrigger line. Use 20 to 30 feet of leader in front of the flasher.”

To recap, a Hot Spot Flasher is designed to and will impart action to a lure or bait that doesn't have an action of its own through. If the bait has its own action, lengthen the leader so the flasher does not impede the baits action. Well, I guess that is unless you want it too? While using anything over 5 inch shovel nose plugs, it will impede the action of the flasher.

As an attractant, the Hot Spot is designed to put out a vibration and visual stimuli that spins and rotates. It eriodically changes direction of rotation and has a side to side or waggle. It imparts much more action to lures, and provides optimum rolling and kicking action in the water. It attracts by powerful vibrations, erratic movements, and darting to duplicate the vibrations made by predators as they attack baitfish. It is believed a Hot Spot flasher will perform ALL of these actions, as designed with a drop back of three feet – I still say four.

Their booklet might say it best? There is this note, “Note: Leader length may vary from year to year and from one location to another. This helps to make fishing so fascinating - we can never "know it all".

There... Did that clear things up! ;)

next time you think about running plugs, try this. Gives the impression of one chasing another. Might give you the little advantage over other guys and you might start catching more fish.

lyman3.JPG

next time you think about running plugs, try this. Gives the impression of one chasing another. Might give you the little advantage over other guys and you might start catching more fish.

Cool idea!

I've heard of that but never seen it so it didn't stick in my mind-Thanks for the pic!

Fisher_dude. You might want to check as to whether this is a legal setup. Comments from guides.

How is that any different to running a flasher? The front one doesn't have a hook on it as you can see in the picture.

Back