Life jackets.........who uses em.

Auto inflators aboard and everyone aboard wears one. Do bend the rules if were on a harbour cruise. Raised the two boys from wee ones that it was a sin that carries serious repercussions to not wear one, which was enforced more than once. There both grown and continue to heed that lesson. Hopefully passing it on to there brew d when the time comes.

I always had Life jackets on board and always kept one handy to throw if needed. Now my kids are old enough to come out with me i always wear a mustang auto inflator. trying to set a good example and if I go over I have a fighting chance.. Since my buddies have seen me wearing them they have being buying them as well. We all have bomber style floater coats we were when it is cold. I think these auto inflators are great and you forget you have them on.

Another sad one.

I took in a free Mustang seminar at the Washington Sportsman show a few years ago. The Sheriff's department was putting it on. They covered a lot and more of what that article is about. They picked 5 people out of the group and had a pile of pfd's laying on the floor. They timed us to see how long it took to grab one and put it on. Well of course they were all different sizes and adjusted differently. Needless to say it was a cluster cluck of of a show.

The main the thing they were driving home was to have everyone try a pfd on and adjust it properly before leaving the dock and then either leave it on or put it somewhere on the boat that was in easy reach and to know that it was the one that was fitted for them.

Thanks in part to this thread, I made the decision to have everyone on my boat wear inflatable PFD's on our trip to Ucluelet last weekend. After the first 5 minutes of the first day, I had forgotten that I was even wearing it. Seemed natural thereafter and I think I have adopted a new rule on my vessel. The Mustang HIT is a really comfortable unit.

I broke them out last Sunday and Bart and I wore them most of the day. I had actually forgot about them (again) in the beginning but we fitted em up and put em on for most of the day. Took them off when we got back to the dock. It wasn't bad at all. We both had jackets on so the neck discomfort thing was a non issue. I can see a problem in the summer on the hot day's though when your just wearing a tshirt. I might have to upgrade to a more comfortable collar type or make something that will work with ones I have. They are the basic of basic manual Mustang's with no padding in the collar.

The neoprene collar on the HIT is very comfortable but gets really hot in the sun. Feels nice on a cool day but might get bothersome when it's 25+

The West Marine brand have a light neoprene collar as well.Was out for hali a little while back with my brother. Showed
him the new PFD's and told him to put one on when we left the dock. He gives me this dirty look like"don't tell me what
to do" but reluctently straps it on anyways.Come back from a 6hr. trip,pull up to the dock,get the boat on the trailer,
pull it up a ways to get it ready for the road home.20 mins. later I bail into the truck and I realize I'm still wearing my
inflatable vest. Totally forgot I was even wearing one.

Back