Life jackets.........who uses em.

not to dissuade anyone from wearing a life jacket but the amount of accidents compared to boaters is extremely low, that's why its such a big story one someone does drown in a boating accident. We take risks every time we walk out the door.

There really is no excuse to wear the inflatables though, you can barely tell they are there - but I'll admit I don't wear one on the chuck.

True. But there really is no such thing as an accident. There is a cause for every injury or death and the cause can be prevented. Why not be prudent?

Also, I think you meant to say there really is no excuse NOT to wear an inflatable:)

There are people that fall over the gunnels while taking a whiz.......but I think it's because often they are drunk while they're taking a whiz.

I would think that there would be no better reason to wear a PFD, than for if someone was drinking to the point of inebriation out on the water. If someone was too tanked to stand straight, then that would definitely make it harder for them to maintain their balance in a pitching/rolling boat, or for them to think straight and make good decisions in an emergency. A PFD would hopefully help them out. (if they went over the side).

Had a guy go over board fishing chum a few years ago...the strap on the back of the life jacket he was wearing got caught on the downrigger boom...he got dragged along waist deep in water hollering his face off while we all scrambled for cameras...there's a pretty funny video of it somewhere :)
Could have ended tragically in that very cold water had he not been scared shitless enough of the water that he insisted on the life jacket...he was the only one on board wearing one.

Had a guy go over board fishing chum a few years ago...the strap on the back of the life jacket he was wearing got caught on the downrigger boom...he got dragged along waist deep in water hollering his face off while we all scrambled for cameras...there's a pretty funny video of it somewhere :)
Could have ended tragically in that very cold water had he not been scared shitless enough of the water that he insisted on the life jacket...he was the only one on board wearing one.

Poor bugger, bet he will never live that one down.
Always wondered how much strain one of those Scotty DR mounts would hold. Lucky it didn't bust the mount off and deep six the rigger. Maybe you need DRFD (Down Rigger Flotation Devices):p.

That's one of the reasons for always using a bucket, then dumping it overboard.
The other reason being I got tired of cleaning the yellow fibreglass.

I got into this habit years ago. Consider a coffee can to be essential equipment now.

And like many here, I only wear mine when I am alone, or when it's snotty out.

I should know better, I have been in a 16' boat that hit a deadhead at speed and capsized...4 of us ended up in the drink - not one of us was wearing any kind of flotation.

Fishing solo the PFD is mandatory but may times in big Bank with a crew, I fish naked
Will take chances , but not by myself

I cut the bottom off a 4 L plastic oil container with a handle to use as a bailer/pee can. Works great and the winky doesn't get cold or wet. ;)

I always wear a comfortable neoprene vest. It is great insulation under my coat in the winter. I always get guiest to wear them. To me they are like seatbelts. Put them on before starting the engine. My boat is only 16 feet long and aluminum, so it can get rocked easily.

Arm's length away does you no good if you are taking a leak, changing a release clip, messing with weeds on the rigger, get hit by a wake or rogue wave when looking the other direction.

Try jumping into the current at Constance Bank without a PFD. Those muscles don't like the cold shock. Throw in a mouthful of water and a few waves and that PFD is looking like a great idea again.

I confess to not wearibng one as a kid, but they were those big orange uncomforatable pieces of crap them. The new models are not restrictive. I still prefer the positive floatation to the CO2 driven blow ups.

Always wear the auto inflatable when running and the guests have to put on the bulky life vests ,take them off when trolling ,unless its snotty out then I put it on. Made my fishing partner buy his own auto inflatable , I bought the boat .

seems like one of the few on the thread that does not wear the protection... often wear the bottom half of the floater suit in the morning, but likely 75% of the time not wearing much.

i am a good swimmer, yes... but just dont think much about having to be bundled up or spend $200 on an inflatable if the old-school PFd is around just in case.

After a little scare last year we now wear them and the new rule is..... no more netting fish standing on the pod. It's just not worth it. Swimming in full rubber boot and no life jacket is a crappy feeling.

Great thread. Personally, I always wear my auto-inflatable when guiding. The lodge I do contract guide work for enforces inflatable wearing by guests and guides. They're comfortable, easy to work in and a good back up should my guest fall onto the throttle while playing a fish and send me out the back. As I'm in an open boat, I use the harness ring on mine to clip my kill switch to when making the run between spots. It's at the point now where many guides sit down for dinner at the end of the day still wearing their inflatables, not noticing they wore it all the back to crew quarters. Kind of a seat belt thing after a while- just second nature. It's nice TC gave the allowance for inflatables when worn on commercial vessels. Too many reports of overturned boats, everyone drowned due to cold water/not wearing any flotation, and they find neatly stacked key hole's stacked in the bow locker.

The only problem with the inflatables is that there is one more thing to go wrong. What if it does not inflate due to pull cord not working, inability to pull cord, gas cylinder expired etc et?? I'd hate to be testing the thing in the water!
Better to wear old style lifejacket/PFD and put up with the discomfort.

The only problem with the inflatables is that there is one more thing to go wrong. What if it does not inflate due to pull cord not working, inability to pull cord, gas cylinder expired etc et?? I'd hate to be testing the thing in the water!
Better to wear old style lifejacket/PFD and put up with the discomfort.

Generally agree; but on a super hot summer calm day, an inflatable may be all that many including myself will wear and that is far better than nothing.

On a warm but not blistering day I often use my orange Mustang floater vest without sleeves (DOT approved) which has a nice soft material collar which is comfortable on the neck, reflectors and also has lots of pockets for your overboard gear.

**** HAPPENS!

REAL FAST!

Dumped my little trout boat this morning, and, based in no small part on this discussion over the last week, I had taken my auto-inflate Mustang vest.
It worked as advertised.

First time I`ve gone swimming since about 1971, and, as is usually the case, dumb, dumb, dumb errors were the culpirt.

Be smart - stay alive.

(the only funny part was when I walked into Lake Marine on my way home, still dripping water, and had Steve install a new CO2 cartridge - good to go again. He was gracious about the wet footprints on the floor.)

I was in Lakes Marine myself talking with Steve and picking up some things this morning. Great guy,very knowlegable,and reasonably
priced as well, I've found. Glad it turned out good for ya! I'll be getting an inflatable for myself very soon and wearing
it religiously. Been pushin' my luck for long enough!

Just picked up two automatic inflatable PFD's from West Marine for $119.00 each to go along with my Mustang one. Now I will require everyone who comes aboard my boat to wear one. They are light and comfortable, so no more reasons not to wear PFD's while onboard. Crazy not to wear them.

Just picked up two automatic inflatable PFD's from West Marine for $119.00 each to go along with my Mustang one. Now I will require everyone who comes aboard my boat to wear one. They are light and comfortable, so no more reasons not to wear PFD's while onboard. Crazy not to wear them.
Yep,just did the same thing myself. Bought 2 for the boat,and now there will be no excuses about having to wear
"those ugly,bulky,sweaty pieces of s#$t" The quality looks great,and you can't complain about the $120.00 price tag!

Back