Leader line

40 lb bait and spoons

60 lb hoochies and Lings

100 lb Halibut

All monofiliment
Aces: I use almost exactly what you use except some hoochies/squirts I use 40 lb. Maxima, others I use 60 lb. P-Line. I very rarely use flourocarbon.

...Rob

I use the non-fluorocarbon for spoons and from time to time anchovys as it is not as stiff and allows more action to the spoon and teaser head when required :)

What is the best leader line to use
For hoochies you want to impart the movement of the flasher to the hoochie to give it movement/action. Three things affect this; (1) how does the leader attach to the Flasher I like a direct tie, (2) How long is the leader - I like 4x the blade length, and (3) the stiffness of the leader - I like 50# minimum & find Seaguar blue label flouro to be relatively stiff & easy to find. It is pricy, but I'm not a guide so don't use very much, plus I rarely fish hoochies these days (prefer Flasherless).

For bait with a flasher I have compromised at 30#; which many would call on the light side. A very large fish can break this if they get some slack & head-shake, it has happened to me once with a fish the guide estimated at 60# when he saw it on the surface. IMO you get better action on the bait with a lighter leader. I tend to use Seaguar.

For spoons/plugs I use 30# Seaguar as well. If I used 20# I'd probably be changing the leader on every fish.

I'll use the 50# Seaguar for Halibut.

For bucktails I use 10#.

This way I only need 3 spools of leader & will end-up with fresh spools of leader more often at a lower cost.

For hoochies you want to impart the movement of the flasher to the hoochie to give it movement/action. Three things affect this; (1) how does the leader attach to the Flasher I like a direct tie, (2) How long is the leader - I like 4x the blade length, and (3) the stiffness of the leader - I like 50# minimum & find Seaguar blue label flouro to be relatively stiff & easy to find. It is pricy, but I'm not a guide so don't use very much, plus I rarely fish hoochies these days (prefer Flasherless).

For bait with a flasher I have compromised at 30#; which many would call on the light side. A very large fish can break this if they get some slack & head-shake, it has happened to me once with a fish the guide estimated at 60# when he saw it on the surface. IMO you get better action on the bait with a lighter leader. I tend to use Seaguar.

For spoons/plugs I use 30# Seaguar as well. If I used 20# I'd probably be changing the leader on every fish.

I'll use the 50# Seaguar for Halibut.

For bucktails I use 10#.

This way I only need 3 spools of leader & will end-up with fresh spools of leader more often at a lower cost.
So why tie the hoochie leader directly to the flasher? Why would that change anything? You're tying to the flasher's swivel which moves around so why would it matter if you tied a swivel to the leader to then attach to the flasher? And if you tie directly to the flasher, you're going through leader every time you switch? I must be missing something?

I've also seen where some guys simply tie a loop on the end of the hoochie leader to attach to a snap on the flasher?

Last edited:
So why tie the hoochie leader directly to the flasher? Why would that change anything? You're tying to the flasher's swivel which moves around so why would it matter if you tied a swivel to the leader to then attach to the flasher? And if you tie directly to the flasher, you're going through leader every time you switch? I must be missing something?

I've also seen where some guys simply tie a loop on the end of the hoochie leader to attach to a snap on the flasher?
i religiously lubricate the flasher swivel ( top ) that attaches to the main line, and i religiously DONT lube the bottom swivel on my flasher for fishing hootchies. direct tie as well. that thing is bouncing around all over the place back there.

never tangles either.

i religiously lubricate the flasher swivel ( top ) that attaches to the main line, and i religiously DONT lube the bottom swivel on my flasher for fishing hootchies. direct tie as well. that thing is bouncing around all over the place back there.

never tangles either.
Interesting

Back