Langara lodge

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I have had some great advice thru pm from some ex guides. So thankfull. You guys as usual were right and we were given **** dates. We have decided to go on the waiting list for last minute dates this year. Such a downer from the auction. Lesson learned. This will still be a once in a lifetime trip so I am stoked for the adventure! I’ll keep you all posted on how things go.
What dates did they give you? And there are always lots of cancellations

Was talkling to a buddy out getting a lodge set up top end of Graham and he was saying there is a good amount of feeders in right now. May 31 could be decent for Springs but no coho usually and is great for halibut of Langara. Fished at a lodge on Langara into mid sept and it was slower. Was good coho fishing but springs were not abundant. I went to a lodge June 15ish in 2015 and the spring action was insane, so many 20lbers my arms were killing. We had to take a break and told the guide your up to bat, let him fish for a couple hours while we chilled and fought the odd one.

We almost took took the end of may, however worried about weather windows. I’m hoping for last 2 weeks in June.

I have found on years where it’s a damp, crappy spring the chinooks run a little earlier

Looks like my fishing buddy and I won a charity bid to langara lodge! From what I understand we will be self guided, which I am stoked for. I‘m sure they will give us a low down on gear and spots when when we are there, but I want to know what I’m doing way before that. So I know some of you have some advice and spots to share, so please share some good advice. Spots,gear to bring ect?
Thanks in advance everyone!
I live on Haida Gwaii, and considering the lateness of everything this year, I'd try for the last couple of weeks of June. The last three years or so have been all over the place, though. In over 40 years of fishing salmon here, my rule of thumb was always to fish in Skidegate Inlet in March and April when the herring came in there, while there were just a few feeders on the West Side. As May progressed, the East Coast fishery died out and the West Side heated up, but it usually peaked around the end of June, followed by a 3-week lull after the first week in July. The big runs followed, and August and the first two weeks of September were pretty much guaranteed.

But after we had two hot-drought summers featuring warm water, followed by last non-summer, followed by this wintry spring, everything is rearranged. Last summer, fishing stayed great right through typically-slow July, but then got spotty in typically-hot early to mid-August, before picking up big time through September. There were still lots of springs around in early October, if you got a break in the weather.

I'd echo the advice to take a guide the first day. You'll be in a spectacular place for a limited time at no cost to yourselves, so why not rent a clue about what you're doing, and where to do it? You'll probably be steered toward mooching plug-cut herring, which is a lot more enjoyable than downrigger or especially diving-plane trolling in any case. As far as jigging goes, the later in the season, the more they've been hit, which again makes late June a desirable option.

Last edited:
Looks like my fishing buddy and I won a charity bid to langara lodge! From what I understand we will be self guided, which I am stoked for. I‘m sure they will give us a low down on gear and spots when when we are there, but I want to know what I’m doing way before that. So I know some of you have some advice and spots to share, so please share some good advice. Spots,gear to bring ect?
Thanks in advance everyone!
Did 2 trips fishing out of the Club House both last week of August self guided. Did really well fishing springs with cut plug off the riggers. We were guided for hali etc, both great trips world class fishing!

I'm going to have to disagree with a few of the guys here re: getting a guide.

First off, you should most certainly hire a guide for the first day. He's probably going to be one of their least experienced guys, the more senior ones usually guide full trips. That being said, he's been up there for weeks or months now fishing or at least talking to other guys fishing every day. Ask him to take you to a couple of the different salmon spots, show you where and how to fish them, show you how to cut a cutplug, run mooching rods, and hook a fish. It's all going to be quite different from downrigger fishing, so just have fun and try to absorb. This is where a guide is well worth it.

But don't waste your time with a guide trying to fish for bottom fish. Find a lip or a hump 100-250 feet deep, aim your stern into the wind, put a piece of salmon or herring on a hook, put on a 1.5lb weight, drop to the bottom, reel up twice, occasionally put your motor in reverse to keep lines straight and occasionally drop to bottom. You will catch your limit of Halibut. I've attached a map of spots that will catch you Halibut for sure. If you want lings or rockfish, look at Navionics and find places where theres steep drop-offs. The reefs The "peanut" off the west coast (circle with 256 mark) will get you both if you fish herring more than salmon belly. East side will probably not get you a hali over 10 pounds. I would fish Langara rocks for lings if the weather plays along. Bring MegaBite or MAX Shad jigs if you intend to target critters. The ocean shoals in the mouth of Parry Passage at slack tide have also done quite well for me.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.28.24 AM.png

Back