Langara lodge

Trophy21

Crew Member
Looks like my fishing buddy and I won a charity bid to langara lodge! From what I understand we will be self guided, which I am stoked for. I‘m sure they will give us a low down on gear and spots when when we are there, but I want to know what I’m doing way before that. So I know some of you have some advice and spots to share, so please share some good advice. Spots,gear to bring ect?
Thanks in advance everyone!

Looks like my fishing buddy and I won a charity bid to langara lodge! From what I understand we will be self guided, which I am stoked for. I‘m sure they will give us a low down on gear and spots when when we are there, but I want to know what I’m doing way before that. So I know some of you have some advice and spots to share, so please share some good advice. Spots,gear to bring ect?
Langara doesn’t use riggers so you will most likely just fish cutties!

Bring your own Halibut tackle & jigs for lings. You can hammer some quality fish.

Glow white hoochie for the Halibut rig. They love glow. Big grub tails for lings and Halibut

They will help you as much as you need. Locations, techniques, rigs etc. They want you to catch fish and go home happy. It’s an amazing trip. You are going to love it!
FYI the fully guided Grady‘s have down riggers.

They will help you as much as you need. Locations, techniques, rigs etc. They want you to catch fish and go home happy. It’s an amazing trip. You are going to love it!
FYI the fully guided Grady‘s have down riggers.
Cheaters lol

Take a couple Deep Sixes or Dipsey Divers and some flashers/spoons/hoochies & leader material that way you're not stuck dragging bait.

Salmon fishing up that way isn't nearly what it was so be prepared for some long days for very little.

Good advice on the bottomfishing glo is the way to go.

We always went 2nd week in July and did very well. See if you can find out when the trollers start. 4 years ago we got there before their season was open. Chinook fishing was amazing. Their season started just after we left and we heard the fishing fell right off.
For me its not just about the fishing. Scenery, food, bakery, coffee bar, helicopter ride. 43:0am fish bonker on the door. Its rather magical up there.IMG_6866.JPGIMG_6935.JPGIMG_6952.JPGIMG_7118.JPGIMG_7125.JPGIMG_4550.JPGIMG_4640.JPGIMG_4658.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
When you get to Masset Airport ask if you can ride in the helicopter copilot seat. Great views and you get to chat with the pilot.
If you ask right away you can usually get the spot.

It's been better part of ten years since I worked for the clubhouse but I'd try and get dates around 2nd week of July. Maybe Bryce has been up there more recently than I for a holywood stint.
You are vulnerable to slow fishing without the riggers. When the fishing for springs is good and they are in the pass,you're at no disadvantage. When the fishery slows and you want to fish deep or off the west side you will wish for riggers.
I seem to remember some of the lotto trips are kinda date restricted. Do what you can to get the core dates (avoid first three weeks and last three weeks of the season anyhow).

It's been better part of ten years since I worked for the clubhouse but I'd try and get dates around 2nd week of July. Maybe Bryce has been up there more recently than I for a holywood stint.
You are vulnerable to slow fishing without the riggers. When the fishing for springs is good and they are in the pass,you're at no disadvantage. When the fishery slows and you want to fish deep or off the west side you will wish for riggers.
I seem to remember some of the lotto trips are kinda date restricted. Do what you can to get the core dates (avoid first three weeks and last three weeks of the season anyhow).
I have fished at the Clubhouse and my experience was the guys fishing weighted rods did just as well as the downrigger guys where we fished.
I find power mooching cut plugs a much more satisfying way to fish.

I've done 12-13 Langara trips around the first week in July, but my last trip to the WCFC North Island lodge was the 2017 may opener. Unbelievably awesome trip -- perhaps my favorite, mostly because there was no intel, no expectations for catching, and first whack at the big dumb local groundfish. Weather was a bit challenging, though. We got our limits of chinook but had to earn it, which I eventually discovered is what I enjoy the most about fishing. If I go again, I'm going early.

You won't need a guide. My dad's been a few times. He absolutely slays them everytime. You drift mooch with cut plugs, so study how to get different rolls with different cuts. Id also be bringing some butterfly jigs. You can buck up a little extra $$ for the better boat. But still no riggers.
I'm hoping to go for my dad's 70th and my 40th in a couple years. Congratulations.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I have had some great advice thru pm from some ex guides. So thankfull. You guys as usual were right and we were given **** dates. We have decided to go on the waiting list for last minute dates this year. Such a downer from the auction. Lesson learned. This will still be a once in a lifetime trip so I am stoked for the adventure! I’ll keep you all posted on how things go.

Back