Landing a sockeye without a net

How many did you lose before you got that one one the boat, lol ? I think I’ll stick with the net. Went 9/12 one day last week using a net including 3/4 on a quadruple header. I will bring an extra net next time though.

How many did you lose before you got that one one the boat, lol ? I think I’ll stick with the net. Went 9/12 one day last week using a net including 3/4 on a quadruple header. I will bring an extra net next time though.
Actually, went 2 for 2 on the netless method. I've always used the net on salmon, unless it's obvious that they are to be released, in which case I try to get them free at the side of the boat without touching them. Just thought I'd try Reeltime's technique this time.

If the net is handy and ready I net the fish, if not hand bomb it in. I do the same with springs under 15lbs when fishing solo, anything bigger I gaff.

If the net is handy and ready I net the fish, if not hand bomb it in. I do the same with springs under 15lbs when fishing solo, anything bigger I gaff.
Damn, I don't think I'd be ballsy enough to try to hand bomb a 15lb Spring

^^^Same as Canso with the smaller fish. When they are beside the boat I get my thumb under their gill plate. I occasionally fish solo where I find the net is worse than useless.

Back