Amazing fishing without rods

FinnFisher

This may sound unbelievable but the wifey and I were cruising from Crescent Beach by South arm, North arm and then onto to False creek.
The idea was to catch some salmon while cruising. However I left my rods, downriggers and net at home but fortunately I had about 30 yards of 40 lb test line on a plastic line spool. Tied up a lure and 4 oz weight. Incredibly I caught and landed a 6 lb coho and released two 15 lb Springs without a net, to boot. Left that at home also. Can’t believe I caught them with a hand line.
It sure is great fishing around Vancouver this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.png
    IMG_1179.png
    838.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1178.png
    IMG_1178.png
    859.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1177.png
    IMG_1177.png
    869.6 KB · Views: 220
Many years ago, a buddy who kept his boat in the harbor in Queen Charlotte City year-around asked my wife and I to go out jigging in November on the West Coast of Haida Gwaii on short notice. We rushed down to the dock with our gear, and it wasn't until we were on the West Side starting to jig that I found that I'd mistakenly brought a rod with a seized reel that had been sitting waiting for winter repairs.

Having no other options, I loosened the drag all the way, stripped off line, and had just started hand-jigging with the 70#-test mono when I hooked a big fish. The line was set into tight coils from its time on the reel, so keeping it from wrapping around my fingers while keeping the fish off the bottom on its deep, powerful plunges was a bit nerve-wracking. Finally, we got it to the boat, and foolishly gaffed it and brought it aboard. I say "foolishly" because it weighed 62 pounds, had lots of parasites, the flesh was very coarse, and it was full of eggs. LESSONS LEARNED!

This very poor photo taken at dusk with a 110 camera is the only evidence of that epic tug-of-war, and that stupid retention.

1693423211537.png

Back