Kitty Coleman 2013 reports

Lost.... 220ft of braid and a white glow cannonball if you catch this please return. No reward being offered. :)

Last night just a few feet under the boat while going straight my braided line let go. Was not bottom as adjust my brakes all the time. Something sharp just under the surface?

Good thing I know a guy with lots of cannonballs.... :) Still a crappy way to lose a $100 really fast.

A 15 lb (or bigger?) cannon ball would be fun to bring up on a salmon rod. Ill return your ball but you might need to buy me a new rod!

We were out to the hump on the weekend and had a great day on the water. Steady coho action - mostly beautiful, wild fish in 6 to 8 pound range. Fishing 180 to 210 feet with glow flasher and green/white spoons were working well. We managed one small spring on a watermelon spoon - its stomach full of herring. The count for the day was 12 fish released and three in the box.
Barbecued coho Sunday evening was outstanding. Thanks Sean.

Coho insanity this afternoon and evening at Kitty. I must have boated 15 would be keeper cohos. So much fun! Reminds me of how things used to be on the inside. One major difference between then and now is I used to go home with 4 fish quite often, tonight my cooler was empty..... Not a single hatchery in the whole bunch. It's like a lottery trying to find the one with the missing fin. Good thing I can bring home an empty cooler and still say that the day was indeed epic. Although something for my efforts would have been nice. Can't wait to get out there again soon.

Fished 3-8 at the hump. Nothing but cohos kept a small hatchery. Lots of boats out there and nets were flying around everywhere the whole time i was out. Unbelievable action. i picked up a pink and released a undersized spring. Everything that i saw was small. I caught fish at every depth. 50-200.

Fished the hump last night from 5-8. 1 10lb spring, 1 good size hatchery Coho and a Pink. Saw lots of fish being played and nets out. Lost a good line peeler just at the boat....cheap hooks! Hoping to get out tomorrow.

I am new to this forum and the West Coast fishing scene and I have lots to learn. I usually launch from Pt. Holmes and fish between the markers. I have also fished off of Bates Beach and have been very lucky. I tried Kitty Coleman launch on Saturday evening and it was none stop action. I think this might be my new launch point as it is only five minutes and you are setting your gear.

I look forward to the fishing and will try to gather as much knowledge from this forum as possible.

Thanks

Lots of coho action...... Problem is many of them are not clipped. Till they allow us to start taking unclipped fish I really wish that people would stop netting these fish and bringing them into their boats. Learn to release them without damaging them.

Lots of coho action...... Problem is many of them are not clipped. Till they allow us to start taking unclipped fish I really wish that people would stop netting these fish and bringing them into their boats. Learn to release them without damaging them.
I agree FA! Keep the nets in the boat boys and girls. I see lots of illegals come into boat and dont see them go back. Having said that, when are going to keep the odd wild one? Even if we have to mark our licence. How many of these throw backs survive?
FA, can you give a lesson on releasing without net? I have trouble sometimes looking for clipped fin while avoiding fish beat itself on side of boat.

I agree FA! Keep the nets in the boat boys and girls. I see lots of illegals come into boat and dont see them go back. Having said that, when are going to keep the odd wild one? Even if we have to mark our licence. How many of these throw backs survive?
FA, can you give a lesson on releasing without net? I have trouble sometimes looking for clipped fin while avoiding fish beat itself on side of boat.

With barbless hook it is very easy to release a hooked fish, the problem arises in identfying it as a clipped hatchery. People no longer seem to play the fish, just winch it to the boat, hardly ever see someone stop the boat and play it 'till its lying on its side. I believe that the belief is that with barbless hooks you need to get it in with constant tension, or the first time there is the slightest slack--it's gone. Because of this the fish is netted, scales and slime are lost, lots of thrashing around in the boat, before it is finally released, battered and doomed. It would make a lot more sense IMO to allow retention of the first two salmon you catch, regardless of size, and to allow barbed hooks once again.

Well we went out the other day with just light rods and spoons with barbless hooks. We had many double headers that we put the boat in neutral for and enjoyed the play of the fish. Every fish was easily identified feet from the boat. Even if it got off....oh well we will catch another.

Do you need to net them to idenify them? Do you need to kill or injure them to idenify them? Do you need to hide unclipped fish in your boat? Are you really that needy? Do you think I and others are taking down your info and taking pictures of you cause your such a good fisherman? Don't be stupid.

These coho are thru out the SoG and have been all winter not just Kitty.

I have quickly learned to keep the fish in the water and look for the clipped fin before deciding to net or not. You can even see the spots on the tail before you get the net ready. I have no issues with leaning over the side to release a fish that is still in the water.

Enjoy the fishing experience and keep up the live release.

And with that being said, I am off to my boat and get some fishing done.

Well we went out the other day with just light rods and spoons with barbless hooks. We had many double headers that we put the boat in neutral for and enjoyed the play of the fish. Every fish was easily identified feet from the boat. Even if it got off....oh well we will catch another.

Do you need to net them to idenify them? Do you need to kill or injure them to idenify them? Do you need to hide unclipped fish in your boat? Are you really that needy? Do you think I and others are taking down your info and taking pictures of you cause your such a good fisherman? Don't be stupid.

These coho are thru out the SoG and have been all winter not just Kitty.

Geez FA.....

I don't need a net to identify them, I don't want to kill or injure them, I don't hide unclipped fish, I don't think you are taking pictures of me and I don't think I'm that stupid.

I was merely (you must be a pro with over 4000 posts) looking for a little help, as others have given.

RM

Back