Kitty Coleman 2013 reports

That was not a reply directed at you....it was directed at the idiots that know they are doing wrong. They may not even be apart of this forum but there is a lot of them out there.

You want to come out fishing?

exciting posts, i'm stoked to catch a coho again. it's the only salmon i've ever caught from my kayak. heading out towards kitty tonight with my spouse (if wind allows). still not sure how landing will work but i did buy a gaff to pull the line in and dehook if need be as i was shown on a guide boat.

i'm currently 'between jobs' and would be stoked to join someone if they would like company and a few bucks for gas on local waters.

It was pretty good off Kitty Coleman tonight, calm water and no wind. Caught 1 spring and 4 coho. All were released with no net.

Fished Kitty for afternoon and early evening. 6 Coho to the boat, all with fin intact and then 2 hatchery in a row. All action just south of the hump 90-135 on counter. Green and white hoochie was the magic on short leader. Home by 8:15.

Nice to see so many fresh members fishing the Kitty area and posting up reports :). Keep up the good work.

I agree FA! Keep the nets in the boat boys and girls. I see lots of illegals come into boat and dont see them go back. Having said that, when are going to keep the odd wild one? Even if we have to mark our licence. How many of these throw backs survive?
FA, can you give a lesson on releasing without net? I have trouble sometimes looking for clipped fin while avoiding fish beat itself on side of boat.

Weve only been fighting this point for the last 5 years at SFAB meetings. I think its been proposed every year for this area and CR. Nothing seems to change though. Go to your local meetings in the winter and voice your opinion. Try explaining it to your guests everyday as you watch wild ones float away why they cant keep them after there hooked through the eye and going to die. Its a fn joke. Oh yah to release bring fish alongside boat grab your flasher, take your time have a look once it settles down. Grab Gaff or needle nose pliers reach over side of boat pop hook out of fish. Run a single hook and not tandems easier to release. If its a Hatch grab flasher haul fish by hand in boat right into cooler on ice. Bonk and bleed after line is put back out. Have a Good one!

Last edited by a moderator:
same issue on the west coast...boils my blood!
With a bit of experience you can tell a coho by the fight, and once it's within sight can easily confirm this...as for the marked/unmarked, once its been identified as a coho the net stays away. If I can't immediately tell, I grab the flasher and maneuver for a closer look, if clipped it's lifted into the cooler by the flasher...if it gets off who the f#$% cares, you'll get another!

With a bit of experience you can tell a coho by the fight, and once it's within sight can easily confirm this...as for the marked/unmarked, once its been identified as a coho the net stays away. If I can't immediately tell, I grab the flasher and maneuver for a closer look, if clipped it's lifted into the cooler by the flasher...if it gets off who the f#$% cares, you'll get another!

This is exactly how I deal with them as well. My luck at finding the clipped ones has not been very good though. I released 15-20 ho's last week in one day at Kitty Coleman, couple of bleeders, couple that lost eyes, not a single clipped fish in the bunch. If I was able to keep one unclipped fish I probably would have headed home early to fire up the BBQ. Instead I was determined to not head home without one(which happened anyway). Was a great day on the water regardless, but at the cost of killing a few fish that I couldn't keep. Stupid rules.

I run 38" leaders all the time and I deliberately go slow to get a timed rollover on the flasher.....

and I get all kinds of Coho.......

I'm a new salmon fishing guy from Comox... Is there a map online with all the local fishing hotspots on it? for example I know where the hup is but where are the Cardinals and other fishing spots
Tom

I'm a new salmon fishing guy from Comox... Is there a map online with all the local fishing hotspots on it? for example I know where the hup is but where are the Cardinals and other fishing spots
Tom

Welcome to the forum.... check out my post #286 on this thread for info on the Cardinal Buoys.
There is a map called " Fish.n.Map Co." that you can pickup at the local tackle stores.
It's like a chart and its got some good spots on it... well worth getting.
Have the guy's at the store point out the spots and mark them out on the map.

Fished the hump from Noon until 7:00 tonight. Started out fast and furious with the Coho at every depth. Kept 4 hatchery fish and released about 15 wild. From 3:00 until 6:00 we managed 4 springs, 12,18,20, and a 25. Springs were all near bottom using the usual gear. The wind dropped in the early afternoon and it was flat calm and sweltering hot. A great day.

WOW..... We only got 2 hatchery coho, but only fished Kitty for a couple hours after watching the killer whales pass thru. The guy's beside us at the cleaning table only had 2 hatchery coho. Then there was a lady across from us with a Tyee and a couple coho.

Tried Kitty Coleman tonight, slow fishing with 2 wild cohos and 1 small spring. All returned to the water. My friends first time fishing for salmon and he enjoyed what we caught. Maybe next time will be some keepers.

Back