Kitty Coleman 2013 reports

Hey Cuba: Knowing your background and all the work you have done for wild salmon, I'm a little disturbed that your supporting a catch as many wilds to catch your hatcheries.;) eman

No worries Eman. The ratio of clipped to unclipped is unreal. I was out this morning (Sun) and hit four coho .. one was a long range release , another was an unmarked fish and the other two were clipped BONK! I also talked to my buddy on the E-Fishing-C and he and his wife left at noon with 4 marked coho. They released another three unmarked.

I dont see this as a problem.. Anyway, we really need the heads turned in to find out if they are from a local hatchery that has hit the lotto or fish from our southern neighbours that have been boosting our west coast chinooks and coho fisheries.

Some interesting things to ponder... those big bait balls in 200+ feet are p-cod ---- BUTTTTT- they are feeding on large schools of 6-7" herring. How do I know?? well I dropped a heavy Pt Wilson Dart into 250 ft hoping to get a big p-cod for fish and chips ... Each time I reached the bottom I nailed a herring! Just maybe there might be a mister butt hanging aroiund down there too???

FYI-- the coho are not just at the Kitty hump---- saw several schools on the surface at AirForce Beach in 75 ft of water.

Catch them, kill them.....eat them :) I won't hesitate to kill coho if they are clipped. One fish feeds my family for dinner and lunch the next day.

Grants...

Not Kitty but....fishing at Grant Reefs has been good lately. Tubbed out this morning and Friday morning as well. Coho are there too but a good mix of springs as well.

Charlie415,

Where did you fish at Grants today? We got into a shwack pile of nice sized coho today out there...only one marked...lost a slab, and bonked a teener chinook. Fished the early tide, mostly on the far end....seemed like lots of boats fishing the Harwood side of the can.

Had a blast with the 8 wt fly rod on the rigger with a Coho Killer spoon, and a dummy flasher clipped to the cannon ball...awesome fun.

FishWish

You must have been just past us...we were pretty much by ourselves by the wreck. We're you fishing deep...we got most of ours were between 70- 120 ft.

Also at Grants today, NW side about half way up in 110'. We kept 4 clipped, about 4-5.5lbs. Ratio was about 3-1. went out a little deeper to 150' and took home a 10lb down 140.

Wow today was the second slowest day I have had at Kitty this year. Didn't even catch a coho.

Asked the owner of the boat I was on if he had an orca painted of the bottom of his boat.

whadya mean, I was on that boat yesterday and we had somewhat smallish but steady action.
Including 2 solid fish that I personally farmed. I'd say it was the guest

Call the owner and ask him..... It was dead. Now we didn't fish where he and you fished yesterday. We actually fished Kitty.

Maybe you should have taken the skunk with you when you got off the boat last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys. first time poster. i've been out near the kitty coleman hump a couple of times, i'm in my sea kayak. a bit of a challenging way to fish and i'm probably not getting too deep, but it's hard to say. i vary my speed and sometimes jig and i figure i must be at least 100 feet at that point.

anyhow, in regards to fishing off cape lazo- how far out? someone here said shallower fishing so that's better for me.

only given it a few go's so far, the weather has to be really ideal so that i can concentrate on fishing not paddling and wind is my enemy. no fish yet but i'm super eager to catch a salmon, any salmon, any size, even if i have to let it go! of course i would really like to catch a few and one nice size spring around 20 like the rest of you. my buddy says he can't wait to hear how the hell i manage it if i do catch something sizeable. i'm not sure either but i just bought a small gaff today trying to think about the possibilities. worried about a dogfish or something really big..... i'm in the long orange decked sea kayak if you see me out there, rod holder on the deck trying to get a troll on.

Call the owner and ask him..... It was dead. Now we didn't fish where he and you fished yesterday. We actually fished Kitty.

Maybe you should have taken the skunk with you when you got off the boat last night.

Ya kittys dead right now for sure agreed.
apparently the waters a bit bluer on the powell river side.
Time to take advantage of the late evenings

hey guys. first time poster. ....... in regards to fishing off cape lazo- how far out? someone here said shallower fishing so that's better for me........worried about a dogfish or something really big..... i'm in the long orange decked sea kayak if you see me out there, rod holder on the deck trying to get a troll on.

Welcome to the forum and fishing in the Comox Valley. when fishing off cape lazo you want to get near the cardinal buoys. Try different depths 60-120 feet of water and look for bait. You can also fish in the shallow (30 ft) area as I have seen that produce also. Don't worry about dog fish they don't bite or large, 30# springs, that's the challenge. Make sure you review the rules with the non-retention and If I see you out there, I'll stop to say hi.
GLG

There are two things you need to know about Dogfish:-

(1) watch out for the spikes near the tail when handling......you don't want to get stuck with one of those.
They can whip that tail around on you pretty quick if you have your hands in the wrong place on them...

(2) They can bite allright. Their teeth are not like larger sharks......so they clamp on and then wriggle away producing a sawing motion. I have seen bites in drysuits, they went right through and left a bite hole like a cookie munch. If they clamp on your arm or skin, they will definitely do some damage.

Hey GLG, I've never fished the Cardinal Buoy's before, I usually fish Kitty or just off Lazo. How far off Lazo would the buoys be. Thanks.;) eman

Hey GLG, I've never fished the Cardinal Buoy's before, I usually fish Kitty or just off Lazo. How far off Lazo would the buoys be. Thanks.;) eman

Not sure of the distance but it's on the charts.:rolleyes:
Couple miles from Point Holmes ramp straight east into the SoG.

Back