Kicker tie bar setup question

tyee604

Can someone explain how to setup kicker tie bar ?
I assumed you make the kicker parallel to the main motor
I picked up all the parts for my tie bar system
The person at marine store was saying the kicker needed to be setup bias to one direction
I can’t remember if it was Port or Starboard
Was hoping someone could explain it
Thanks

Can someone explain how to setup kicker tie bar ?
I assumed you make the kicker parallel to the main motor
I picked up all the parts for my tie bar system
The person at marine store was saying the kicker needed to be setup bias to one direction
I can’t remember if it was Port or Starboard
Was hoping someone could explain it
Thanks
when i do a tie bar, i build it so both engines achieve full travel in both directions

This is how I set mine up. I cut the brackets from stainless plate. Used parts from a Panther tie bar kit. Had to bend the bar to clear the controls. Shortened the bar as well. Works great. Can trim either engine fully while getting full range of steering on either. I never have to go back and mess with it, no unhooking it to switch engines etc. Only annoying thing was finding M12.7x1.25 stainless bolts to attach to the ram. Couldn't find 316, finally got rid of the carbon steel ones recently after breaking down and getting 304 bolts off eBay.

Screenshot_20230613_055540_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_20230613_055305_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Here's a couple photos
Height difference, Ball head to Ball head 10 inches +/-
Distance apart, Ball head to Ball head 14 inches +/-
Don't mind the yellow tape, that's temporary until my rigging is completed

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 66
This is how I set mine up. I cut the brackets from stainless plate. Used parts from a Panther tie bar kit. Had to bend the bar to clear the controls. Shortened the bar as well. Works great. Can trim either engine fully while getting full range of steering on either. I never have to go back and mess with it, no unhooking it to switch engines etc. Only annoying thing was finding M12.7x1.25 stainless bolts to attach to the ram. Couldn't find 316, finally got rid of the carbon steel ones recently after breaking down and getting 304 bolts off eBay.

View attachment 93474View attachment 93475
@Flashman
Thanks for sharing your photos
My plan was to do some thing similar
But my motors are at different heights
I posted a couple photos to show my motor set-up

@noluck
Thanks, that was my initial understanding
That made sense to me
But when the person at marine store was explaining it needed to setup bias to one side, it throw my understand on how to set it up off
I'll do as you mentioned, to make it have equal travel in each direction
Cheers

Wow why is your kicker so high on the pod? Not the deep of boat. I would check where your kicker is sitting as Brando suggested.

I had an old boat double eagle without a pod with same height difference. I did this sort of thing. Your going to have to bend it and sort of do trial by error to get your range of motion right.

It sucks your motor is so high. Hope you have an extra long shaft on that motor.

My hull extension on the malibu 185 the motors don't sit that much different height wise from one another. I run same system.

1686679383773.png

Last edited:
Wow why is your kicker so high on the pod? Not the deep of boat. I would check where your kicker is sitting as Brando suggested.

I had an old boat double eagle without a pod with same height difference. I did this sort of thing. Your going to have to bend it and sort of do trial by error to get your range of motion right.

It sucks your motor is so high. Hope you have an extra long shaft on that motor.

My hull extension on the malibu 185 the motors don't sit that much different height wise from one another. I run same system.

View attachment 93491
@SpringVelocity
Just went with advise of the pod builder
Yes I have 25 inch leg on kicker
It does make it more challenging for tie bar setup
Thanks for the illustration

I don't think kickers follow the same rule of thumb as a main motor for position in relation to the hull bottom. That seems high to me. (don't mean to rain on your baby, just my observation)

I aim for 3-4” below so your close but more than likely you’ll have cavitation issues. I know it sucks but I would lower the mount 2” these narrow hulls roll quite a bit better to take care of it now. Alternatively you could go with a long shaft and lower down 6-7” putting the motors at a much better height obviously swapping motors creates a headache. If you decide to leave it as is I would look at seastars cable tie bar it’s more expensive but would make connecting your motors much easier. Hope that helps.

Back