Kicker steering

I would recommend ez steer. two clamps for each the main and kicker. stainless welded brackets. put a pool noodle on the bar so it wont sink if it comes loose. most economical way highly recommend.

I would recommend ez steer. two clamps for each the main and kicker. stainless welded brackets. put a pool noodle on the bar so it wont sink if it comes loose. most economical way highly recommend.
No no no no no no

but if you do, DEFINITELY put a pool noodle on the bar so it won’t sink when it ABSOLUTELY will come loose

No no no no no no

but if you do, DEFINITELY put a pool noodle on the bar so it won’t sink when it ABSOLUTELY will come loose
Ahahahah I’m laughing with you it really is a lot of work. On the other hand if you can weld stainless with arc welding or mig to repair it. The tack welds can come loose. But this is a tried and true solution that works.

yes you could get other steering and it will
be better some can’t afford that. 1106 1/8th stainless rod can repair ez steer. And don’t have it connected when under way. It’s a good system.

Ahahahah I’m laughing with you it really is a lot of work. On the other hand if you can weld stainless with arc welding or mig to repair it. The tack welds can come loose. But this is a tried and true solution that works.

yes you could get other steering and it will
be better some can’t afford that. 1106 1/8th stainless rod can repair ez steer. And don’t have it connected when under way. It’s a good system.
i honestly would rather use a piece of floating driftwood with some duct tape than use EZ steer. the entire concept is bad. i have yet to see the detente system work flawlessly without issues.

i bought mine with high hopes and sold it within the first season. taking it on and off like you described if you have an inboard is wicked dangerous. especially in an emergency or following seas. with what you described above it’s better to have a fixed rod system inboard. my stainless setup cost around $120 and work’s flawlessly

anyways the op needs to provide more insight as to his setup.

i honestly would rather use a piece of floating driftwood with some duct tape than use EZ steer. the entire concept is bad. i have yet to see the detente system work flawlessly without issues.

i bought mine with high hopes and sold it within the first season. taking it on and off like you described if you have an inboard is wicked dangerous. especially in an emergency or following seas. with what you described above it’s better to have a fixed rod system inboard. my stainless setup cost around $120 and work’s flawlessly

anyways the op needs to provide more insight as to his setup.
With the fixed rod system do you leave the kicker in gear when not using it so the prop doesn’t spin?

With the fixed rod system do you leave the kicker in gear when not using it so the prop doesn’t spin?
i just tilt my kicker up when not in use. As i still have cable steering, i also disconnect the fixed rod ( safely inside the boat) and tilt and lock kicker so it doesn’t move around when underway on the main. with cable steering ( my boat anyway ) i feel the weight of the kicker if i leave the rod connected and it annoys me so i just disconnect

Does anyone have a picture of this fixed rod system I have a rod system but I'm sitting in splash well getting set shoes taking it off and on

The best solution is a custom mounted permanent tie bar. Twin engine tie bar. However the geometry needs to be inline with the 2 engines. For example like a trophy, where the kicker is set back is not possible.

The best solution is a custom mounted permanent tie bar. Twin engine tie bar. However the geometry needs to be inline with the 2 engines. For example like a trophy, where the kicker is set back is not possible.
Same with Arimas, too much of an offset, EZ steer pretty much the only option. Worked well for me for many years. Not sure why some people have such a grief with them. Lube once in a while and check the welds on the mounting brackets - they can let go after many years. I had mine re-welded last year - cheap fix.

Back