kicker set up

P

paramedic

Well I just ordered my brand new Hewescraft ocean pro hard top and I am trying to decide how to set up the kicker steering. The boat will have a 225 yammie with hydraulic steering and then it also has a rear steering station that I could hook the 8t yammie kicker to independantly or use an ezee steer systen to the big motor and run both motor off of either steering wheel. My question is how does everyone else set up their kicker steering and will the hydraulic steering still work with just the kicker running if I have the motors tied together. Thxs Medic.

Just doing all that on my new boat.I'm not sure on the 225 yamaha but on the 150 it has a center tab that sticks out.You can buy a spring loaded mono ball for each motor and a 3/8's stainless redi rod and just go across the fronts of both motors and tie them together.I put heat shrink on the redi rod when I have cut it to size.You can buy all the piecies in kit form at Harbour Chandlers in Nanamio it's about 50 bucks or so.The kit is made by Stearns.You will proably have to make a small bracket for the front of the 8 horse.My hydraulic steering works with no motors running,sea star I belive.I've used this system before and I really like it.Also the shaft and mono ball recievers will fit in a piece of 3/4 inch electrical grey pvc pipe for easy storage.You don't have to lean over the back of the motors to connect it either.Check the search function Wolf had some pictures posted on the same set up.Good Luck with the new ride sounds awesome.DAN

Take your Yammi HT 8 and rig it with a TR-1 system http://www.rcautopilot.com/. You will not be disappointed. That is if money is not a major factor, about $ 2500.00 US. They are a joy to use and you will be hooked from the first day. There is surely somebody in your area that installs and services them. Check around and see if someone will take you on a test ride so you can experience it firsthand. It's the ultimate tool to divorce you from the outboard and give you the freedom to do as you please. Good luck with the new boat.

You done good getting the second helm. Use a tie bar or easy steer bar to your kicker Best to turn the main with the kicker for better truning radius.

this tr-1 thing does it control throttle and steering and whats involved in instalaton, is it something you can do later or should it be done when the motors are put on ?

You can do it later or right at the time the outboard is installed. It can be interfaced with a GPS, it will control your speed direction and heading. It has an Aviation style gyro that will compensate for wind and drift. You still have to watch where your going but thats about it. It also has shadow drive that allows you to take over at anytime to avoid problems and as soon as you hit resume it will take back over. You won't know unless you check it out. The problem with the tie type systems is you still have to steer. The TR 1Gold steers for you. You can set zig - zag patterns and more. Good luck. Mike

Back