Jig style bucktail fly frame

mbowers

Based on a request of how to set up the body for the fly that I feel is much more weedless than a standard bucktail:

I put together a couple of shots of how I set up the fthe frame. First start with a SS cotter pin (these are 1/16" wire by 1 1/4" long at $2 / hundred). Bend to 60 deg angle with pliers.

Put bent pin in vice and measure some coated stainless braided wire (this is American Fishing Wire 20lb) so the loop at the back will let you change out the hook if it gets bent. The further back the hook the more hookings will happen in the gills so try to make the loop just long enough. As an aside I'm really liking the Matzuo octopus hook. Besides looking cool with that hard angle they do seem to stay attached to the fish just a little better.

Lash down the wire to the top of the cotter pin with tying thread (something thick!) and apply some head cement or glue of choice. Before the cement is dry, fold the wire around and underneath the bend at the front of the cotter pin and lash down with some more thread towards the hook. I intentionally used less thread in the pics so the construction process is visible through the thread. I would use 3x as many wraps on a fly I would actually fish.

Fold up some lead strips or just cut some thicker lead wire to length and lash that underneath the cotter pin with more thread. Add some more cement and the frame is done! Now tie your favorite bucktail to the frame.. I would use a diamond braid body to cover up most of the shank and then stack up a wing of your preferred "bucktail" material.

Back