Replacing Scotty HP Switch

Saratoga

Scotty sent me a replacement switch with the wire to repair a downrigger that stopped working. There is a small pin in the switch arm that allows the switch to slide back & forth somewhat while preventing it from falling out of the main downrigger body. I‘m wondering if there’s a trick to removing that pin - it appears the only way to remove it is to grab it with some pliers and yank it out. I‘ve applied a bit of force to try and remove it without success. Before I give it a bit more elbow grease, I thought I’d run it through the forum to see if there’s something I’m missing.

I did speak with Scotty in the hope of getting some guidance on removing that pin. Despite sending me a replacement switch, they seemed quite insistent that I leave the old switch in place & just replace the wire. I’ve swapped the wire but given the issues I’ve read online with switch failures, it seems like the better plan is to also replace the switch at the same time - I‘ve found a lot more reports of switch failures than wire failures.

Thanks.

I’ve got exactly the same issue. Did you get a solution that worked? I’m afraid I’m going to break the casing trying to get the pin free. Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed reply … yes I sent the whole downrigger back to Scotty and they replaced all the internals including the circuit board. They did it for no charge which is very good and typical of the good service from Scotty. I just had to pay to ship it over to them. Replacing all of the internals was the fastest way to resolve the issue rather than trying to isolate the specific component that had failed. Hope yours is back up and running now. Cheers.

Back