Jelly Fish and the effect on Salmon aggressiveness

Drewski Canuck

I have a good friend who had some mediocre results salmon fishing at Nootka Sound in the last couple of weeks. That said, he did better than the vast majority out there!

As everyone knows, the sound is between 67 - 72 F depending on location. It is LOADED with Jelly fish, worse as you go further into the sound. The good friend has a theory that even if you clean the gear of the Jelly Fish remains, it acts as a repellant to Salmon. He has a strategy of having a 5 gallon pail with FRESH water and Palmolive soap. He keeps 6 flasher - spoon combos in the pail. If he sees the tell tale dip of a jelly fish snag, he pulls the gear, and puts on a fresh flasher - spoon out of the fresh water pail, and cleans the gear of jelly fish and drops it into the soap and water to get the "smell" off.

I did notice that the hits I did get on my trip to Nootka were on clean gear just put down before getting slimed by a Jelly Fish run in. Once slimed, nothing would happen until I changed gear.

Any thoughts?

It says alot that there were NO Dogfish in the sound this year in August. Usually that is the problem with Nootka. Not this year. Even the Dogfish hate the Jelly Fish, or the Bait avoids the Jelly Fish and the Dog Fish don't stay in the sound.

Drewski

The jelly fish have been thick in spots for the last several years here along with high water temps making fishing a little more challenging some days. You and your buddy have some interesting thoughts on why you can’t catch fish this year. There’s lots of factors that come into play when your fishing mid August in the sound for the 1st time. I clear all the salad and slime with a rag or paper towel swap and good 2 go or move on.

If you are trolling and picking up dogfish then you are probably trolling way 2 slow.

The jelly fish have been thick in spots for the last several years here along with high water temps making fishing a little more challenging some days. You and your buddy have some interesting thoughts on why you can’t catch fish this year. There’s lots of factors that come into play when your fishing mid August in the sound for the 1st time. I clear all the salad and slime with a rag or paper towel swap and good 2 go or move on.

If you are trolling and picking up dogfish then you are probably trolling way 2 slow.
when the dog fish are thick and you are using bait. trolling faster will help, but will not totally solve the problem

Back