It's only money right??? Remote steering or Auto pilot?

Depends on size of boat which unit is best,turning kicker only on a small boat (under 20 Ft.) works fine in most cases,but over that size you want both motors turning .Autopilot is the way to go then but expect it to be pricey.There's always add ons to get it working right. If it can be done for $2K all in let me know and I'll buy it too..
Harbour Chandler has Lowrance autopilots on sale for $1300. You have to go to the final page of their flyer. Screens are under a thousand. If someone already has Simrad/lowrance it's the way to go. No remote, that is extra $ but having a second screen at the stern is what I have set up, but that starts to get complicated, as I have radar, autopilot and second screen, so I needed a network box NEP-2 as well but I scrounged one up on ebay cheap.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 6.34.53 AM.png

Auto as we refer to him, the third crew member, absolute game changer, use it and the remote every trip, cruising, or fishing. I absolutely love it. I could go on and on but if you can swing it, get it you will not be disappointed.
Really is a game changer

Are you running separate autopilots for both your main and your kicker? Have been trying to figure out how to do this. Oh, and I don't want to use a tie-bar (EZ steer). Sorry for the derail ...
I do not have autopilot on my main. Driving the boat is fun and keeps me awake.

I had the EZ steer on an old boat. I never liked it. Unless you have a rear station, it makes trolling very difficult.

That Lowrance pack HC has on sale sounds great - works well for single engine application, but the pump isn't made for twins. I heard of few guys who tried and later had pump failures. Talk to the experts at HC - they won't steer you wrong.

Really is a game changer

Yeah well it was that ride in your boat that made me want to get it. Thanks Shawn. LOL.

Btw if anyone has a point 1compass they use just for radar or GPS you need a different one. I was going to use the same one, but it doesn't work. I also believe you have to mount it lower in boat. Mine right now is on the roof so will be swapping the Bluetooth puck out, and mounting new on in different location.

I removed this Type H Intellisteer from my Commander 30 when I went all Simrad. Not sure what it's worth without the pump.
20240128_102307.jpg

Depends on size of boat which unit is best,turning kicker only on a small boat (under 20 Ft.) works fine in most cases,but over that size you want both motors turning .Autopilot is the way to go then but expect it to be pricey.There's always add ons to get it working right. If it can be done for $2K all in let me know and I'll buy it too..
Harbour Chandler boat show pricing for the Hydraulic kit at is on sale 31 Jan to 4 Feb. That kit and the bluetooth remote would get you to your budget of 2k. Give Harbour Chandler a call ;) https://harbourchandler.ca/lowrance-outboard-hydraulic-pack/

I have a Garmin MFD on my boat,and HC doesn't sell Garmin that I know of.

Last edited:
So does the Lowrance that HC has on sale work with a Main/Kicker setup? I see comments about not working with twins and being a "single motor" design. The Main/Kicker seems to be something in the middle.

Other than a lowrance display unit to hook it to, is there anything else you need to buy to
I'm going for the Cable steer kit but I think the hydraulic kit has most of what you need. From what I can tell so far the only extras needed would be the connectors at the fuse box, electrical end of the bare power wire from the NEMA hub and the NEMA box. However if you want to remote steer with a key fob then you need the extra bluetooth hub and remote.... which is wildly overpriced for a simple bluetooth remote.

So does the Lowrance that HC has on sale work with a Main/Kicker setup? I see comments about not working with twins and being a "single motor" design. The Main/Kicker seems to be something in the middle.
I will would tie it to my main (via the system controlling the steering cable) but I assume if a kicker is tied on by a tie bar/steering bar it will work as a kicker doesn't add that much resistance (at least mine doesn't). My kicker is always connected to my main because I don't want to hope over the fish box on the pod to disconnect and reconnect it

Are you running separate autopilots for both your main and your kicker? Have been trying to figure out how to do this. Oh, and I don't want to use a tie-bar (EZ steer). Sorry for the derail ...
Did you buy a dang boat yet? I just double derailed a week old derail, and I’m proud of it!

Yeah well it was that ride in your boat that made me want to get it. Thanks Shawn. LOL.

Btw if anyone has a point 1compass they use just for radar or GPS you need a different one. I was going to use the same one, but it doesn't work. I also believe you have to mount it lower in boat. Mine right now is on the roof so will be swapping the Bluetooth puck out, and mounting new on in different location.

I was completely wrong on compass on what I posted up. The point 1 I have will work, and no need to remount it from roof. Picked up everything, and now it is install time.

Blue tooth puck will probably go on roof as well.

I was completely wrong on compass on what I posted up. The point 1 I have will work, and no need to remount it from roof. Picked up everything, and now it is install time.

Blue tooth puck will probably go on roof as well.
Blue tooth puck can mount anywhere. Mines not even mounted. It just lives in behind the head unit. Don’t run it somewhere crazy if you don’t have to.

I'm going for the Cable steer kit but I think the hydraulic kit has most of what you need. From what I can tell so far the only extras needed would be the connectors at the fuse box, electrical end of the bare power wire from the NEMA hub and the NEMA box. However if you want to remote steer with a key fob then you need the extra bluetooth hub and remote.... which is wildly overpriced for a simple bluetooth remote.
Isn’t the cable pilot more money and then you still have to deal with future cable headaches. seems the perfect time to find a used helm and ram and switch to hydraulic or even buy a new system.

Isn’t the cable pilot more money and then you still have to deal with future cable headaches. seems the perfect time to find a used helm and ram and switch to hydraulic or even buy a new system.
You make some good points but hydraulic upgrade would be pricey and I'm happy with cable steering so far.

Back