It's only money right??? Remote steering or Auto pilot?

I use it for both, I have two kids so often have one in my arms. I can hold a sleeping kid and run just ready to jog or pop it out of autopilot or gear at any point. Also for long runs I’ll tie gear, get ready.

It’s great for getting close to your spot, setting autopilot and getting your rods down.
I just realized next time I see you at school drop off I'll chat you up about it.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback

.... but damn it! Not one person saying "don't do it, its NOT worth it... save your money and buy your wife a gucci purse instead!"

With all these raves for the Autopilot vs the Intelli steer its going to be very hard NOT to buy the outboard pilot.... Anyone here know how to get a discount at Harbour Chandler? hahaha

These things ever go on sale?

Have twin outboards with Garmin electronics but not sure I want to spend 5k plus for a pilot.
Does anyone have any experience with other pilots such as the Navico NAC-1

I have this Garmin kicker auto pilot
Reactor™ 40 Kicker Autopilot
absolutely love it use it for trolling in wind waves and current boat stays on coarse no matter how slow your going.
I just swapped a Panther Remote for the Garmin Reactor Kicker Autopilot. Night and day difference. Holding your course while trolling in wind and current makes your fishing so much easier. It also controls your throttle. The only odd thing is my Garmin map unit asks if I want to engage autopilot when setting a route for my main motor. If I said yes, my kicker would be flopping all over the place!

Depends on size of boat which unit is best,turning kicker only on a small boat (under 20 Ft.) works fine in most cases,but over that size you want both motors turning .Autopilot is the way to go then but expect it to be pricey.There's always add ons to get it working right. If it can be done for $2K all in let me know and I'll buy it too..

I just swapped a Panther Remote for the Garmin Reactor Kicker Autopilot. Night and day difference. Holding your course while trolling in wind and current makes your fishing so much easier. It also controls your throttle. The only odd thing is my Garmin map unit asks if I want to engage autopilot when setting a route for my main motor. If I said yes, my kicker would be flopping all over the place!
Are you running separate autopilots for both your main and your kicker? Have been trying to figure out how to do this. Oh, and I don't want to use a tie-bar (EZ steer). Sorry for the derail ...

I’m running a ComNav 1420 on my boat . Trouble free for 8 years now… easy to use. There’s a used one on EBay.ca for 750 including pump. That’s a decent deal. It’s located in Port McNeill.

Another tip, if you have twin engines upgrade the pump to the heavier unit. RPU-300 is a better choice than the smaller ones.

I dunno @searun, those Canada metal octi gear pumps are really nice. They hold up big time. Zero issues since they came into production, and quiet for a gear pump. Goes back to kobelt, seastar type stuff. Made right here too

Last edited:
Depends on size of boat which unit is best,turning kicker only on a small boat (under 20 Ft.) works fine in most cases,but over that size you want both motors turning .Autopilot is the way to go then but expect it to be pricey.There's always add ons to get it working right. If it can be done for $2K all in let me know and I'll buy it too..
Rayvon - The system that seems to fit my boat would be the Outboard pilot cable steer (NAVCO/LOWRANCE) for about $2K. PLUS the bluetooth module and remote for another $500. My boat is light enough that cable steering module would move my main, I'd keep my kicker tied to my main via the stainless tie bar. That way I could use the Autopilot while cruising to the fishing location and high speed and then just use the kicker for trolling with the same steering for both scenarios.

So about $2500 plus tax (about $2850). This one ties into my HDS carbon so I'd get the full options of not only point-to-point autopilot steering but could also program in routes, S turns, Zig zags, spirals or even tell it to follow a specific depth line on the chart.

I think your boat would need the hydraulic kit (with compatible MFD/chart plotter) . If I see you down at the club soon we can chat about it.

Back