Islander vs. Trophy vs. Rapala vs. Amundson

Everyone knows ive been running trophys since inception and still using SAME ones after i did mod on handles back in the day . NO line creep BUT i did some adjusting to the springs so they are alot tighter you can either add more washers or get islander springs,or do what i did and stretched them out (it was an experiment with a extra springs i acquired)
in the last 5 years ive tried alot of them before some even hit market the rapalas only lasted a few days. and personally cant see me EVER paying 600 to 900 bucks on a reel . how do you cover cost of 4 of them on a boat. especially if a guest destroys it.....

Have had 2 MR2s for 3 years. They are smooooooth. I have very little creep issues. I do think they are quite sexy. ;).Personally don't like the reeling in click being louder than the outbound (yes, I have adjusted it internally). Worst part is the round handles. Solved by switching them to the shimano paddles (thanks Tailwalker !). Haven't tried the others but am willing to!

I saw the new Islanders at the boat show. Same drag system as the Amundsen, but will be selling for $900 - $950 according to the rep. I got the Amundsen Theron on sale for $250, can't see the Islander being worth 4x as much. I sold my Islander as I didn't like the creep and having to set more drag than what I wanted. For $600 you shouldn't have to use a clip on the line to run the tension you want.

There are not the same drag system. the Theron is a mutli washer 7 layer carbon drag, the new TR3 Islander reel is a ceramic drag.

I'm going to throw another option out there for you. How about a SS Peetz? https://www.peetzoutdoors.com/produ...nless-steel-fishing-reel-1?variant=3539494724

I have a 5" SS Peetz inherited from my uncle that he got as a retirement gift back in the 80's and I've recently found that you can take these to Peetz and they will convert/upgrade to the one-way drag mechanisms. The cost for that is about $100 (for any Peetz reel). Has anyone had the opportunity to use either the new reel and/or a converted old reel? And how do they compare to the models mentioned above. Weight is, of course, the obvious difference but how did you like the new drag system on those? For $300 it appears to be a very reasonably priced SS reel.

I have watched the developments in the higher end mooching reels for many years. I never had much interest in buying one till Islander came out with their blue anodized models. Those really caught my eye, but the line creep and price tag always kept me from pulling the trigger. I like the trophy, but they've had issues with the the posts breaking off of late. They are supposed to be getting that issue resolved soon hopefully. I was talking about purchasing one in a store last summer and the staff was telling me about how many broken handles they had to deal with at that time. He told me they were going to drop carrying the Trophy reels because of all the warranty issues. He said Trophy was supposed to be upgrading them soon, but if they were still having issues they were going to drop them. I don't know if the issue with the Trophys has been resolved yet.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Amundson reels from their owners. I just did not like the scale pattern on the back of their reels. Now that they have updated their designs to remove the scales, I may have actually gotten to the point that I've found a reel I'd be happy about buying. I may wait a little longer to see guys feedback on their latest production models, but I think they've won over a new buyer with their newest changes. Time will tell

join the dark side Big guy you know it will be more fun....lol
spoil yourself with a new TMX-5

For trophy's easy fix just put islander posts and handles on them problem solved did it 10 years ago done quite a few a few places do it now....

Ive got atleast 60 days fishing on mine over the course of the past year or so, and havent had any issues (knock on wood) thus far. Ive been really impressed with these reels.

Do you have any anecdotal experience with these reels or are you just dismissing them based on.... nothing?

I have personal first hand use of the Trophy (2 operators I know ditched them), the Islanders- yes---I own 8 of them, the Rapalas....no...but have seen them on TV shows but yet to hear anyone first hand commenting on their experience, Amundson (2 people I know have had these reels and have since moved on), and I believe I used them on board their boat one one day, and the Theron reels....have had them in hand and know 3 people who own them but not in a heavy commercial use application. Abels....I know of 3 people who use these and I have used their reels for several days on their Abel equipped boats in all fishing situations. I experienced creep on one of them off a downriggers.

I base my feedback on facts and not anecdotal.

When I say 100 days use, I mean, 10 hours per day of up-down- fish on, fish off- commercial use getting rained on, hosed down, put away wet, greased at decent intervals, respooled 2 times a year type of thing. That means fishing at depths from 30-250 feet with and without Flashers, off downriggers, playing fish of all different sizes.

The first season is usually a love affair season...after the parts get some wear on them and the drag being cranked on them and commercial use...season 2 is when things start to get crappy in a hurry with any reel.....when I see a Theron endure and be subject to that use then I will make a comment on it.

In the meantime, regardless of what Reel you fish, the fish don't care what reel you use....only you do!

Personally I have more fun playing large Chinooks on Shimano 4000GT reels which are 20 years old....don't get me wrong....Islanders are nice... but having played large Chinooks on Longstones, Peetzs and other old cheap stuff I can say that reels are all about preference.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where/when the 2017 models will be available?
I know the Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds will have all of the new colors including some of last years models by mid April. Send me a PM if you want and I can try and find out for you.

Islander MR2's and MR3's for me. I do have some Shimano's for ling fishing but with a small amount of care I'm very happy with my Islanders over the last 10+ years of fishing with them. I saw the new TR3 at a boat show as well. It looks nice but not worth replacing my existing islanders for.... at least yet. Will be curious to see how they fish once a few people start trying them out this season.

TOTALLY agree with FM on what he said as with him mine get 100 days plus and still good had to tweek em a bit but like anything if you ride it hard and put away wet nothing is going to last maintaining anything is key.... grease and wash em down and look after them they will last 10 years going on 11 for mine....

Personally I have more fun playing large Chinooks on Shimano 4000GT reels which are 20 years old....don't get me wrong....Islanders are nice... but having played large Chinooks on Longstones, Peetzs and other old cheap stuff I can say that reels are all about preference.
Could not agree more. Well said.

With all due respect (respectfully submitted with no malice) though F.M and Wolf, I hardly think the O.P has any desire to consider your 1,000 hours on the water. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

You guys as guides need a 'commercially' viable product, I get that. Most of the rest of us who are weekend warriors don't even come close to that order of magnitude. But just as my 14' putt-putt boat has no business being compared to your 'commercial vessels', neither do your thousands of hours of use have a place to our personal use. You have a budget to support using the gold standard in everything.

I'm 100% content with three mooching reels that cost me a total of less than $400. I'm sure a couple hundred dollars in lifetime repair budget will have these reels last me 10+ years. If I win the lottery, I'm sure this would change.

Quality and value for dollar for me is priceless. ;)

Back