Reels....Explain the differences to me...Islander, Amundson, Trophy, etc

An opinion on MR3 Line Creep

I have 3 MR3's and they do tend to line creep, especially deep under heavy current load, some a little more than others. This bothered me in the earlier days of ownership and I took one that was the worst offender out to the factory a few years ago (nice to have it close) and bitched about it to Barry. Islander completely rebuilt and serviced it free of charge. I understand Barry is not with them anymore but it was obvious to me that this was a great local BC company who know they sell a premium world class product at a premium price and were prepared to back it up with premium almost Scotty like free service. Hopefully that has not changed. That reel still slightly creeped the first time I took it out after the factory servicing.

I no longer view the slight creep potential as a problem, but rather as a consequence of what really makes the MR3 an exceptional reel for playing large salmon. That is the near infinite drag adjustment range and the amazingly smooth buttery drag. It does not use drag washers like you will find in many similar reels, but rather a very large, cork covered lubed clutch. No other reel of it’s type, other than the MR2, will in my opinion match it for its ability to wear down an exceptionally large salmon with heavy SMOOTH resistance. I have not yet tried an Islander TR3.

When many other similar reels are set on heavy drag for big Chinook, there is a lot of initial resistance to getting it to start playing out line as the fish begins to try and run. This causes the fish to tend to jerk at the line and reel to get the reel to begin playing out line which can increase the possibility that it will pull out the hook and over a long battle that jerkiness also increases the likelihood that the fish will open up or wear a hole in the flesh around the hook which makes it easier for the hook to slide out late in the fight, especially since barbed hooks are no longer permitted. If you fish braid without the shock absorbing characteristics of mono, reel drag smoothness is even more important.

The heavy smooth drag of an MR3 wears them down quickly but does not tend to help the fish pull the hook when it wants to start up on each new run and decreases the chances it will do the twisty and head shaking stuff rather than start up a new run which also decreases the chance it will throw the hook. The more the salmon can make niece smooth multiple runs, the faster it wears itself out. That same run start up smoothness does, however, also make the reel more likely to creep, especially under heavy load.

The near infinite drag adjustment range on the MR3 also insures that you will not lock it down by mistake, which can happen with some other reels, (especially when the drag washers are warn – Shimano comes to mind) resulting in break offs and pulled hooks.

MR3 line creep is easily solved by the use of a “creep keeper” attached to the rigger boom. One is easily made and installed and is nothing more than a very short standard Scotty yellow tipped release clip attached to the rigger boom close to the reel. It is automatic for me to put the release clip on the fishing line close to the MR3 reel. When a fish hits, you do not waste time removing the clip you just pick up the rod fast out of the rod holder and it will pull off the keeper easily and no time is lost fiddling with it. The creep keeper is not necessary all the time but if you fish JDF deep in 6 knot current, having the keeper always attached to the rigger boom and available for use solves the issue. The use of the Keeper also assures that you will not grossly overtighten the drag in an attempt to stop it from creeping.

Last edited:
Went out with a guide who used a down rigger clip attached it to the down rigger boom and clip to the line just above the reel. Used islander reels, said that way he could set the rods so the drag was set right for the clients.

Pull the rod out, reel hard down on the fish, set the hook and hang on

I use the 99$ shimano and islander. The shamano drag is nice and that it does not creep but playing a fish is like 10 times more effort then on a islander.

An opinion on MR3 Line Creep

I have 3 MR3's and they do tend to line creep, especially deep under heavy current load, some a little more than others. This bothered me in the earlier days of ownership and I took one that was the worst offender out to the factory a few years ago (nice to have it close) and bitched about it to Barry. Islander completely rebuilt and serviced it free of charge. I understand Barry is not with them anymore but it was obvious to me that this was a great local BC company who know they sell a premium world class product at a premium price and were prepared to back it up with premium almost Scotty like free service. Hopefully that has not changed. That reel still slightly creeped the first time I took it out after the factory servicing.

I no longer view the slight creep potential as a problem, but rather as a consequence of what really makes the MR3 an exceptional reel for playing large salmon. That is the near infinite drag adjustment range and the amazingly smooth buttery drag. It does not use drag washers like you will find in many similar reels, but rather a very large, cork covered lubed clutch. No other reel of it’s type will in my opinion match it for its ability to wear down an exceptionally large salmon with heavy SMOOTH resistance. I have not yet tried an Islander TR3.

When many other similar reels are set on heavy drag for big Chinook, there is a lot of initial resistance to getting it to start playing out line as the fish begins to try and run. This causes the fish to tend to jerk at the line and reel to get the reel to begin playing out line which can increase the possibility that it will pull out the hook and over a long battle that jerkiness also increases the likelihood that the fish will open up or wear a hole in the flesh around the hook which makes it easier for the hook to slide out late in the fight, especially since barbed hooks are no longer permitted. If you fish braid without the shock absorbing characteristics of mono, reel drag smoothness is even more important.

The heavy smooth drag of an MR3 wears them down quickly but does not tend to help the fish pull the hook when it wants to start up on each new run and decreases the chances it will do the twisty and head shaking stuff rather than start up a new run which also decreases the chance it will throw the hook. The more the salmon can make niece smooth multiple runs, the faster it wears itself out. That same run start up smoothness does, however, also make the reel more likely to creep, especially under heavy load.

The near infinite drag adjustment range on the MR3 also insures that you will not lock it down by mistake, which can happen with some other reels, (especially when the drag washers are warn – Shimano comes to mind) resulting in break offs and pulled hooks.

MR3 line creep is easily solved by the use of a “creep keeper” attached to the rigger boom. One is easily made and installed and is nothing more than a very short standard Scotty yellow tipped release clip attached to the rigger boom close to the reel. It is automatic for me to put the release clip on the fishing line close to the MR3 reel. When a fish hits, you do not waste time removing the clip you just pick up the rod fast out of the rod holder and it will pull off the keeper easily and no time is lost fiddling with it. The creep keeper is not necessary all the time but if you fish JDF deep in 6 knot current, having the keeper always attached to the rigger boom and available for use solves the issue. The use of the Keeper also assures that you will not grossly overtighten the drag in an attempt to stop it from creeping.
I agree 10000%. Mine creep significantly less now that I've learned how to lock down the drag before washing and opening wide out while storing. Made a huge difference immediately. Any creep that I still might get is negligable and is well worth the action you get on any sized fish. Set it and forget it. No need to palm the real whatsoever. I have a buddy with amundsons and I HATE fishing his reels. It's either wide open or locked up, way too touch. Guys that think cheap reels are "just as good" have never learned how to use the drag properly on an islander. I just picked up a TR3 for cheap and am excited to see what all the fuss is about because the MR3s are the bees knees already in my opinion.

That is straight stinking ********.

Perhaps more like obvious exaggeration for effect. I have a lot of Shimano Reels and put a huge amount of hours on them. Their strengths are price and being incredibly robust and ruggedly built. They are great for newbies and people I don't trust not to drag the Islanders across the deck when they are excited boating a fish and mark up the finish etc. The Shimano drag system is quite adequate, especially if you change out both drag washers when they get compressed, hard and shiny and no longer perform optimally. That is usually at the start of the season, at least for the ones we put a lot of hours on. Back off the drag when not in use.
Throw a Shimano down on ruff launch ramp concrete, - no problem. Drop an Islander on ruff concrete and there will be tears. Perhaps why they come with that transport armor soft case. Never leave them stored in the soft case wet.

Last edited:
That is straight stinking ********.

Well it’s my experience and I have both. Fact is the Shimano is harder to reel in then the islander. Even when you don’t have a fish on and just bringing the rods in the islander is easier to reel in.

Playing the fish on the islander is way better imo

But as rockfish points out the Shimano is great for price and does not creep. I own one because it’s cheap and works good.

Well it’s my experience and I have both. Fact is the Shimano is harder to reel in then the islander. Even when you don’t have a fish on and just bringing the rods in the islander is easier to reel in.

Playing the fish on the islander is way better imo

But as rockfish points out the Shimano is great for price and does not creep. I own one because it’s cheap and works good.[/plugs QUOTE]
I use mostly MR 3 with a couple of MR 2’ but Most of the time i use Shimano’s instead on My 8 weight rods for cohos and the ambitious

Record for those rods but with a freshly respooled with 20 lb line on an mr 2 and a plug was 47 lbs. the first few runs were epic!

I agree 10000%. Mine creep significantly less now that I've learned how to lock down the drag before washing and opening wide out while storing. Made a huge difference immediately. Any creep that I still might get is negligable and is well worth the action you get on any sized fish. Set it and forget it. No need to palm the real whatsoever. I have a buddy with amundsons and I HATE fishing his reels. It's either wide open or locked up, way too touch. Guys that think cheap reels are "just as good" have never learned how to use the drag properly on an islander. I just picked up a TR3 for cheap and am excited to see what all the fuss is about because the MR3s are the bees knees already in my opinion.
Why do you crank down when washing? Curious, just got some

Antidote to stinking ********---carbon fibre drag washers & Cal's drag grease from Smooth Drag.com

Has anyone had product from smooth drag shipped to Canada ?

Just curious what pricing would be like. I have dealt with mikes reel repair in the past for replacement washers but would like to try these smooth drag carbon ones.

Has anyone had product from smooth drag shipped to Canada ?

Just curious what pricing would be like. I have dealt with mikes reel repair in the past for replacement washers but would like to try these smooth drag carbon ones.

Yep this past winter. I believe two washers came to $6 or so. Just comes in a regular envelope doesn’t weigh anything.

Definitely recommend. Seems to have improved my GT just testing the drag by hand. Can’t wait to try it beside my trophy and my MR3!

Yep this past winter. I believe two washers came to $6 or so. Just comes in a regular envelope doesn’t weigh anything.

Definitely recommend. Seems to have improved my GT just testing the drag by hand. Can’t wait to try it beside my trophy and my MR3!

Thanks just sent them a email. This down time has given me a reason to get all my gear working perfectly.

Back