Islander vs. Trophy vs. Rapala vs. Amundson

I don't know if Admundson marketing people read this site. If they do - For God's sake, make a plain TMX 5 reel without and fancy fish scales or Game of Thrones 'fish slayer' graphics.
I bought mine roughly a year ago, and theyre black with gold detailing, but there are no fish scales or graphics on the back side, just 4 grooves machined in. Got one at Island Outfitters and one at Trotac, so maybe you just got unlucky!

Theron and other reels.....I wonder how they do fished 100 full days a year? Then what happens?

Amundson....pass.....
Ive got atleast 60 days fishing on mine over the course of the past year or so, and havent had any issues (knock on wood) thus far. Ive been really impressed with these reels.

Do you have any anecdotal experience with these reels or are you just dismissing them based on.... nothing?

I've got trophys and amundson tmx5's. Both been good reels although I've only fished the tmx reels a handful of times. I got the no scale version spooled with 65lb braid and top shot of pro spec.

IMG_0185.JPG

I bought mine roughly a year ago, and theyre black with gold detailing, but there are no fish scales or graphics on the back side, just 4 grooves machined in. Got one at Island Outfitters and one at Trotac, so maybe you just got unlucky!

THX - to be honest I was having a bit of a bad day and needed to rant. I have actually heard good things about these reels but always thought the graphics were strange. I wasn't aware of the new look but have to say they look great!

Trophy Tyees are crap. Not worth the money.

Rapalas....who knows....who sells them and what about parts and service?

Theron and other reels.....I wonder how they do fished 100 full days a year? Then what happens?

Amundson....pass.....

Islanders? The devil you know.....yadda yadda yadda...

Abels....well....they are creeping now too...I was talking with someone who has 4 and 2 are creepers.

I have tried most of these and agree. I have also used the RST which are a pretty good reel with a carbon drag as well as a novel method of adjusting drag. A nice reel but too smaller spool.

I currently have Islanders MR3 and Abels; both models creep but as they age I find I prefer Islanders. Both of these reels are very much over-priced IMO although looking forward to seeing the new Islander TR3 - sure to be a bargain!

All good, wishiniwasfishin1! Just wanted to let you know there are at least a few plain ones already in circulation. Mine look identicaly to SteelyDan's.

I saw the new Islanders at the boat show. Same drag system as the Amundsen, but will be selling for $900 - $950 according to the rep. I got the Amundsen Theron on sale for $250, can't see the Islander being worth 4x as much. I sold my Islander as I didn't like the creep and having to set more drag than what I wanted. For $600 you shouldn't have to use a clip on the line to run the tension you want.

I can't justify $500 - $900 per reel, no matter how I approach it. These guys are plenty savvy for me ;)

Plain, black, simple Amundson.

IMG_2989.JPG

We recently got 2 brand new Trophy's for 280 each. Very smooth and a pleasure to play fish on. Drag is very smooth on fish, but they both creep in the rod holders. They gotta be clamped right down to not creep at all.

Other then the creep I love them.

We recently got 2 brand new Trophy's for 280 each. Very smooth and a pleasure to play fish on. Drag is very smooth on fish, but they both creep in the rod holders. They gotta be clamped right down to not creep at all.

Other then the creep I love them.

Same here i bought 2 Trophy's last year pretty happy with them so far ,also nice big arbor and some nice size paddles for the big hands ..
I have other reels also that i rotate ...price was right just can't stop buying new gear .

FullSizeRender.jpg

solid color this year if you do want scales best grab them before there gone or i have 4 may part with two
as i have 9 tmx-5s and still a pr of MR3's which dont see much light of day
and i do run them the other way and keep a couple for normal guests....lol

IMG_20150729_144548.jpg

solid color this year if you do want scales best grab them before there gone or i have 4 may part with two
as i have 9 tmx-5s and still a pr of MR3's which dont see much light of day
and i do run them the other way and keep a couple for normal guests....lol

IMG_20150729_144548.jpg
What a sweet pic. I'm trying to decide if I should get a black/gold to match my blue/silver scale. I bet you get a lot of compliments on those.

Back